Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Water Spots?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-07, 04:17 PM
KINGLS430
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Spots?

I have a sprinkler system for my front lawn and i parked my LS in a diffrent area then i useally do long story short i have hard water spots all over the back window and no detaliling place knows how to get it out if anyone has any sugestions i would apreciate it.
Old 07-12-07, 06:18 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can use dish washer detergent. Just try not to get on the body parts as it will wash your wax right off.
Old 07-12-07, 06:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

try to use some vinegar and see if that comes off

if nothing works, trying something called CLR from the detergent/cleaning department at walmart/target. they are specifically for cleaning up all those water spots on kitchen sink, shower room glass door, etc...

CAREFUL. DO NOT EVEN let one drop touch the paint, i can't even imagine the outcome. put some of them on a cloth and rub on the window to clear the water spot. then use a clean cloth and wipe them away right the way
Old 07-12-07, 08:18 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

MX-7 is hands down the best way to remove any hard water spotting on a vehicle's paint or it's glass. I've used it for years as a professional detailer with much success.
Old 07-12-07, 08:44 PM
eyft23
Driver

you can also use quadruple 0 (0000) steel wool or even finer along with a good chrome and glass polish. i've been using it for years with great results. the only problem i've had is that i trie dto use it on my 1969 camaro and it didn't help at all.
Old 07-12-07, 11:24 PM
mywong23
Driver

I agree with all above replies.

also suggest trying a little toothpaste.
Old 07-13-07, 12:27 AM
bippU!
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

white/clear vinegar will work just fine.
Old 07-13-07, 08:19 AM
!SPEED
Driver

Default Best Auto Glass Cleaner

I found out about this company from the Corvette Forum. I liked their products so much that I tried to get on as a Distributor but they prefer to sell direct. I've tried the glass cleaner on a basement window that looked like your worst shower door and by god, it removed the hard water spots. Their car wash and waxes are second to none.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...uct_Code=Z-12&
Old 07-13-07, 02:12 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Moved to the detailing forum....
Old 07-13-07, 02:59 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

clay bar......
Old 07-13-07, 03:45 PM
I.B.dAt.Fo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by KINGLS430
I have a sprinkler system for my front lawn and i parked my LS in a diffrent area then i useally do long story short i have hard water spots all over the back window and no detaliling place knows how to get it out if anyone has any sugestions i would apreciate it.
i have the same problem. im goin 2 try all the suggestions that was posted. thanx

**tried dish washin soap and vinegar no help. try others when i buy them

Last edited by I.B.dAt.Fo; 07-13-07 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-13-07, 11:09 PM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Detailers Pride Glass Restorer works wonders for me
Old 07-14-07, 07:03 PM
DanozLS430
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I just removed my hard water spots off my GS300. The main area was the top and side area of the windshield where the wipers don't touch. The spots were pretty thick and very on there. (Make sure your glass is washed and clean also before starting) To remove those stubborn hard water spots, I use a BRAND NEW SINGLE EDGE RAZOR BLADE running it side to side while HOLDING IT IN AN ANGLE over the water spots and the spots comes off very easily as fine dust. Then wipe area with a microfiber cloth and repeat process until all water spots are gone. If razor blade becomes dull, disgard and use another one. After complete go over entire glass with a polish and it's done. Took me less than an hour to do all the windows (front, back and sides) This even works great for any paint oversprays if they somehow come onto your windows. I been using this technique since my Volkswagon days of the 80's. Got off hard water stains off my old 67' bug and from that day on it worked for me without any flaws. The SINGLE EDGE razor blade I use are the kind that comes in a small box of 5 and each measure 3/4" high by 1 1/2" long.

Never use the razor blades on your paint for any reason. One guy I knew tried to scrape off a safety sticker that was on his painted bumper and it scratched the paint badly. If you want to remove and stickers on your bumpers, use a hairdryer to heat and soften the adhesive and slowly peel it off. Once cooled, go over with a cleaner/polish to clean up any sticker residue after has been removed.

Just wanted to add in another removal tip.
DanozLS430...

Last edited by DanozLS430; 07-14-07 at 07:14 PM.
Old 07-15-07, 12:21 AM
jasonm
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blades can scratch windows...
Use the clay bar treatment or Neverdull rim polish (only on windows, not paint)
Old 07-15-07, 02:12 PM
DanozLS430
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I never scratched a car glass window using a blade in the 20 something years using this technique. If you hold it in a angle while scraping off the water spots you should be okay unless you use dull or rusty blades which may scratch your glass. I always use brand new single sided blades. It's old school but works perfectly for me.

Quick Reply: Water Spots?