Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

"Hologram" effet

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-07, 12:34 AM
vandit23
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Hologram" effet

Hey all...I hope someone can help me out on this one...ANyway, I had water spots that etched themselves into my paint a while back...I went to a carwash place and had them buf it out with some compunds...Waterspots are gone, but now I am left with this "holographic" layer on the hood...I assume it is because of swirls brought on by the compund...Anyway, my questions are:
1) How deep are the swirls into the paint? Did it remove clear coat?
2) how do I get rid of this "holographic" look from the paint?

Any and all help would be appreciated...

BTW...I have tried cleaning wax many times, and a polishing compound...I bought some fine Turtle Wax rubbing polish/compound, and holding off on trying it until I get some advice.

Thanks
Old 07-16-07, 12:57 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

halograms are there because the guy behind the rotary buffer doesn't know what he's doing. A compound is like fine sandpaper. You're going to need to step down the abrasive level to remove the halograms. What I like to do is use my compound with the light cutting pad and then move onto an even milder polish with a polishing pad.

Do you have a random orbit buffer?

I'd stay away from Turtle wax rubbing compound. You'll possibly do more damage than good.

Is the halogram effect all over the car?
Old 07-16-07, 01:56 PM
vandit23
Driver

Thanks for the info. It is just on part of the hood. I do have an orbital buffer...I have tried a polishing compound, and it didn't do anything.
Do you recommend Scratch-X?
Also, Will it take multiple applications before seeing any results? If so, how many applications?
How will I know what I am doing is working?
How much of the product should be applied?
Should I apply it like wax, or is there a differnet technique?
Sorry for all the questions...But I want to make sure I do all the steps right...
Thanks for your help.
Old 07-16-07, 05:39 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have a variable speed DA buffer like a Porter Cable? The single speed buffers work too slow to do any real polishing..You can try scratch it by hand and applicator, but I doubt your going to get the "marring" off the car..

You'll need a mild to light polish..Clean surface throughly (wash), clay the affected area then apply a small amount polish onto the light abrasive pad, and finally work the polish into the paint until is broken down...

Wipe and observe...Repeat if needed..

If all else fails, bring it to a competent professional..It can be a quick and painless job for someone who knows what they are doing...
Old 07-16-07, 07:07 PM
amorphous
Pole Position

What color car do you have? Any dark color car I can tell you it is near impossible to take out the water spots only pit in and look deeper under lights in the sun it wont look so bad. Water spots generally go through all of the layers of paint you can wet sand it but as I said before probably will leave pits. Best of luck to you.
Old 07-17-07, 02:16 AM
vandit23
Driver

Originally Posted by amorphous
What color car do you have? Any dark color car I can tell you it is near impossible to take out the water spots only pit in and look deeper under lights in the sun it wont look so bad. Water spots generally go through all of the layers of paint you can wet sand it but as I said before probably will leave pits. Best of luck to you.
I have the Smoky Granite color, and I can REALLy notice the hologram effect in direct sunlight...The waterspots are gone, but the darned hologram effect is what bugs the heck out of me...I am going to give t=Scratch-x a try, and see what happens. If that doesn't work, I guess I could look into taking it into a detailing shop to have them try. Thanks for all your help...
Old 07-17-07, 07:54 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Where in CA are you?
Old 07-17-07, 11:33 AM
vandit23
Driver

I'm Los ANgeles...Anyone know of a reputable detailer? I might as well detail the entire car while I'm there, also...Thanks
Old 07-17-07, 11:51 AM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vandit23
I'm Los ANgeles...Anyone know of a reputable detailer? I might as well detail the entire car while I'm there, also...Thanks
PM me I can fix it.