Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

pressure washer and car wash

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-07, 12:08 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default pressure washer and car wash

I am thinking of getting a pressure washer to clean all the masonary surfaces around the house. Is there any use washing a car as well. I know at full power it can damage and dent the car. But would you be able to adjust it low enough to blast off brake dust etc?
Old 07-27-07, 12:48 PM
Dr.Zeus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, there have been some threads on this forum about pressure washers and I myself have been doing some homework. If you are a good distance from the vehicle you shouldn't have to worry about denting and other painted related issues. Most people that I've talked to on autopia use the Karcher system with a foam lance attachment and get some really amazing results. Even though many people complain about broken hoses and leaky connections with Karcher brand items I think there are some good solutions that people have posted on Autopia to remedy the problems. Take a peak for yourself
http://autopia.org/forum/detailing-p...sick-foam.html

http://autopia.org/forum/car-detaili...ressure+washer
Old 07-27-07, 01:31 PM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've got a Karcher pressure washer, and I love it for use on cement, brick, siding, yada yada. I've just never seen the need for automotive use. I know I'm in the relative minority on this, but I'm not much on high-pressure anything when washing cars. The only exceptions I can think of would be in harsh enviromments - clay/mud or slush/salt, for example.

Side note - I've been using foam guns more and more for presoaking, and I've really come to appreciate their value.
Old 07-28-07, 09:15 AM
Dr.Zeus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you are going to use a pressure washer for presoak, make sure that its a quality brand. Zainos shampoo is good from what I've heard and meguiars gold class also works.
Old 07-28-07, 11:18 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Hi there I am going to buy a washer but due to the expense I cannot afford the foam gun until later (it's $80). Do you think the siphon detergent option built into the unit can be used to presoak the car for now..

will it do a better job than my Mr Clean dispenser gun

Also is it true I am just going to push the dirt into the wax/clear coat if I was a pressure washer for a quick wash, without mits
Old 07-29-07, 11:30 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stock4AG
Hi there I am going to buy a washer but due to the expense I cannot afford the foam gun until later (it's $80). Do you think the siphon detergent option built into the unit can be used to presoak the car for now..

will it do a better job than my Mr Clean dispenser gun

Also is it true I am just going to push the dirt into the wax/clear coat if I was a pressure washer for a quick wash, without mits
If the one you're getting has the siphon detergent option, then the pressure is fine for cars. A friend of mine has one and we use it on customers cars all the time. The shampoo only comes out on low pressure. After that, you can put it on high and get a blast of 1-2secs w/ shampoo, but the suds soon runs out.

Use the "high" setting for wheel wells, mud, rims, tires. Then use the low pressure as your foam gun.
Old 07-31-07, 08:15 AM
Rare1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I use a pressure washer. It works pretty good. Less rubbing I have to do to get grime off the paint. I also use it in the engine from time to time.