Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Black GS/ A Pain

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-07, 03:41 PM
G3Johnson
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black GS/ A Pain

Hello everyone. I was wondering how you guys with black cars get swirl marks out and keep them out. Ive been told by a local body shop the only options i have is to wetsand the clear and buff it out, or a respray. Neither seem like an option I would want to consider. Im a DIY guy so I want to do this in my own garage. Anybody have a good product or method to make my black paint flawless? Thank you!
Old 08-01-07, 03:53 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wetsand for swirl marks?? I think a wash, claybar, and nice wax with PC would be suffice. Read through some threads in the detailing section, there are great advice there.
Old 08-01-07, 03:56 PM
DHRP
Lead Lap

Black is a PITA but looks incredible when clean. Depending on how bad the swirls are. A professional detailer should be able to get them out for you. It will be up to your washing habits to keep the swirls from coming back. If you want to do it yourself start by visiting autopia.org or CL's detailing section (where this thread might be moved anyway).
Old 08-01-07, 04:25 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

yeah. a good wash, clay, wax and repeat should do you good. meguiar's has some great products!
Old 08-01-07, 04:51 PM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

Check the automotive detailing subforum. Tons of info that might direct you to the right path for this DIY project.
Old 08-01-07, 05:27 PM
dario
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That is one thing I love about mine pearl white I don't even have to dry it and it does not show anything. My previous 2 cars were black and never again.
Old 08-01-07, 06:02 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

wetsanding is an option, but only if you're skillful at it. Most likely wetsanding will remove more than you want though.

A professional detailer should have no problem getting rid of the swirls. I try to detail once every 6 months just to reduce swirls. No matter what you do, there will always be some sort of swirls. Not unless your car is a show car that never gets driven, and has some sort of cover on it to protect itself from the outside world.. You just have to deal with it.
Old 08-01-07, 06:12 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

mine is a show car and it DOES get driven. a lot! lol but I detail once a month. someone who is skillful with a buffer and detailing compound should be able to take care of your swirls. I wax my car 2 times a month on top of the buff job to keep the swirls away.
Old 08-01-07, 06:41 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Clay and wax will never remove swirls. Perhaps a cleaner/wax might reduce them slightly. To remove swirls you need to use a polish. Use of a PC or rotary is recommended. Wet sanding is not a good solution as it removes way too much clear-coat. If you use a glaze you can temporarily hide some of the lighter swirls.
Old 08-01-07, 08:12 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Clay and wax will never remove swirls. Perhaps a cleaner/wax might reduce them slightly. To remove swirls you need to use a polish. Use of a PC or rotary is recommended. Wet sanding is not a good solution as it removes way too much clear-coat. If you use a glaze you can temporarily hide some of the lighter swirls.
I concur...Wax only cover light swirls but, heavy to moderate swirls will still be visible under sunlight..It's diffcult to remove swirls if you do not have the experience or the training to tackle this task....

A PC or rotary buffer would eliminate most swirls if used properly but can potentially create more damage if used by an novice..

Learning how to detail is something takes 10 minutes to learn and a lifetime to master..

I wouldn't recommend wetsanding either, in some cases, sandmarks sometimes are harder to remove than swirls...Wetsanding is a PITA..
Old 08-01-07, 08:20 PM
GSteg
Rookie

wetsanding is great if you have a DA sander. Sanding by hand however, won't give you that result you're looking for

But I only wetsand when there is a scratch mark waayy too deep for any of my compound to work on
Old 08-01-07, 08:29 PM
duncan73
Driver

Default Black car

Listen to One Hot. He detailed my 2001 blk/blk LS430 and took it from a so/so to a HEADTURNER. The car looked like it came off the showroom floor when he finished with it. The guy knows his business!
Old 08-01-07, 09:02 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by duncan73
Listen to One Hot. He detailed my 2001 blk/blk LS430 and took it from a so/so to a HEADTURNER. The car looked like it came off the showroom floor when he finshed with it. The guy knows his business!
Thanks Duncan for your positive feedback...Definitely 9 hours well spent on your car..

I was just thinking of posting a picture of your car as an example, I hope your okay with it...I did my own version of a half hood, your car was a prime candidate since it was heavily swirled...It was treated throughly with Clay Magic first and then OP/OC mixture via rotary speed 3 (1500rpm)...

Hood before:

half before and half after:

Hood after:

BTW, no wax has been applied yet...Just proves that wax does not remove it...

Last edited by One HoT; 08-01-07 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-01-07, 09:37 PM
GSteg
Rookie

streaking ftl. I hate it when that happens. Usually when I'm outside in the hot sun and I spray on QD for dust removal.

Big difference when I detail inside a garage. It benefits the car, and myself
Old 08-01-07, 09:54 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Ideal conditions would be indoors but, you can't check your work without sunlight...Indoor lights can't capture micromarring and halograms...I use sun friendly products, but still you are right, broken down polish is harder to remove in the sun..Regardless, I re-wash the car after polishing stage since it leaves dust before I seal..

No streaking at the end..

Last edited by One HoT; 08-01-07 at 09:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Black GS/ A Pain