Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How the hell do you clay bar?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-07, 06:51 AM
darchard
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ben, That was a great link! Very helpful.
Old 08-03-07, 04:07 PM
Stokdgs
Driver

Default I like to use Meguiars Quick Detailer too. They sell it in

2 different size bottles. Just wash as it has been said, dont rinse, use the Meguiars and the water on the car to lightly "sand" the paint. Rub lightly, you can actually hear the clay shearing off or pulling out the grit. Keep it lubed, so essentially, you claybar with one hand, the other has the spray bottle, and you keep spraying the area until its very easy to rub the clay.
Then, I like to dry the area and feel it with a clean dry hand, and if it feels really smooth, then move on to the next section.
I know, its a pain, but the results will be way worth it. If you use Zaino products, I have had great results with all the polishes, Z2, Z5, and the new AIO (all in one), the ZPC Fusion paint cleaner, swirl remover, and the final step, the Clear Seal. My vehicles dont even get as dirty anymore in rainy, dirty road Seattle, because of these products.
And yes, I know other products give you the same results, but Zaino gives you the most longevity.. Good luck with your project. DanF
Old 08-03-07, 06:02 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I clay, here is my process using Zaino products:
- Wash your car with Dawn (blue) dishwashing liquid.
- Clay car (I use about an 8:1 mixture of distilled water and Zaino Z-7 car wash as a lubricant).
- Mix ZFX/Z2 as instructed and apply (I prefer 2 coats within 2-4 hours). Wipe of after each application (make sure the polish is dry) with Z-6 applied between coats. I'd also use Z-6 on your applicator when applying the polish.
- Next day, I would apply 2-3 coats of Z2 only with Z6 applied between coats.
- Now you've been pimped..err Zaino'd.

Go here (http://www.lazaino.com/application.html) and here (http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...C&Store_Code=Z) for helpful hints.
Old 08-18-07, 11:13 PM
PPolisher
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bozer
I've got these Zaino clay bars and I have absolutely no idea how to do it. I'd like to wash the car this weekend with the zaino wash (the blue stuff), then clay it, and then use the spray polish.
I just joined in here and I hope this helps you and others out.

Jay Leno’s Garage video’s link;

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/...l?vidID=106496

Jay is a car guy and I have found this video he has on his garage site that those of you who are nervous about using clay bar need to review which will give you the confidence to clay your own car.

There is a 30 second GMC commercial then the video starts.
This video lasts about 8 minutes and Jay has some good questions for Mike Pennington from Meguiar’s to answer.

As a bonus the last couple of minutes of this video they use Meguiar’s Mag & Aluminum polish on a vintage aluminum Bentley race car.

Jay’s site has some very good video’s to watch which saves me from typing out a DIY write up. Plus I am sure you would rather watch then read because observing shows you the various techniques used and helps with the self confidence.

I hope this helps you out.