Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How the hell do you clay bar?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-07, 08:47 AM
bozer
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How the hell do you clay bar?

I've got these Zaino clay bars and I have absolutely no idea how to do it. I'd like to wash the car this weekend with the zaino wash (the blue stuff), then clay it, and then use the spray polish.
Old 08-02-07, 08:55 AM
hass
Lexus Champion

Spray and clay.

http://www.properautocare.com/usclaybartor.html go down a little bit.
-hass

Last edited by hass; 08-02-07 at 08:58 AM.
Old 08-02-07, 11:33 AM
bozer
Lead Lap

Interesting. So I should wash my car first.. then dry it. Then what should I use as the lubricant? I have Zaino products if that helps.

Thanks for the info btw.
Old 08-02-07, 11:40 AM
hass
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bozer
Interesting. So I should wash my car first.. then dry it. Then what should I use as the lubricant? I have Zaino products if that helps.

Thanks for the info btw.
They sell the spray at the auto stores.
-hass
Old 08-02-07, 11:53 AM
Yakuza70
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bozer

Thanks for the info btw.
You can use a mixture of the Zaino Car Wash with water mixed in a spray bottle as a lubricant. Many Zaino users do this. Personally, I wash the car without drying it, leaving the water on the car. The water on the car acts as extra lubricant although I do spray a little lubricant from a spray bottle. This ensures there will be enough lubricant for claying and it saves spray lubricant.
Old 08-02-07, 01:35 PM
Rare1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

One helpful tip, if you can use only half on the clay bar do it. if you drop the one you are using STOP. They clay bar will pick up tiny rocks(like sand almost) and scratch up your paint as you go through and clay bar it. Use the second piece to finish the rest of the car and be sure not to drop it.
Old 08-02-07, 01:49 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

The Zaino wash is great, wash and rinse but don't bother drying. Mix up a fresh bucket of wash and use the wash mit on one hand and the clay bar in the other, swipe some suds over an area and then rub the clay over it, if it starts to dry up or you feel some friction from the clay just add more wash water to the area. I'll do each panel and give it a quick once over with the wash mitt and rinse it off, then dry. That's how I do it.
Old 08-02-07, 02:00 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

use a quick detailer as lubricant.....
Old 08-02-07, 03:47 PM
FlavesLex
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ +1 I used Meguiar's quick detailer... But the mix with the Zaino wash stuff should be just as good and you save yourself the little extra $$.
Post pics before and after
Old 08-02-07, 04:45 PM
98Quicksil
Driver School Candidate

while im at work after i wash the car i just keep the water going on the area as i clay it. no lubing here... also use long strokes and kneed the bar often the keep the dirt on the inside
Old 08-02-07, 05:15 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Dont use just water. water alone will actually increase the surface friction. It makes the clay more aggressive and may smear onto the paint. Just use car wash soap. You'll use less water and you'll provide sufficient lubrication.
Old 08-02-07, 05:18 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I use QD as it is inexpensive and it has many other uses besides a lube for clay. Like removing bird droppings, bugs, and light dust. I like to buy QD by the gallon. Not only does it lube better than wash water it is safe and effective in so many other ways. I keep a bottle of QD in the trunk along with some microfibers. You'd be amazed how quickly some bird poo can etch your paint.

Good video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfEfLGL59GI

Last edited by jfelbab; 08-02-07 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-02-07, 07:53 PM
ben_r_
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out this page too!
Old 08-03-07, 12:19 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Using water is fine, as long as you use enough so that the clay doesn't stick to the paint. Just spray a small area with water or QD, spray the clay to get it wet, use back & forth motions with little pressure, and dry the area/panel when done.
Old 08-03-07, 03:41 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

I like to use a quick detailer for lubricant. I have found that to work quite well over the many times I have used a clay bar. THe advice about cutting the bar in half is a great idea. If you do drop it on the ground dont even think twice about throwing it away. Its not worth risking putting major scratches on the car from dirt that it will pick up. If you have the other half separated you can just keep going.

Quick Reply: How the hell do you clay bar?