Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Ultimate QD

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-07, 02:33 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Ultimate QD

What's the "proper" way to use it....do I need to wash the car first?
Or I can just spray on and wipe away with the dirt?

The instructions says it takes ~12hours to get the bonds interlinked. Is keeping the car dry in that 12 hour period a key point to get it done properly?

Please advise....thanks!
Old 08-24-07, 03:08 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

For me, on heavy dirt areas, I spray generously and you'll see the dirt literally drip off the car. Wipe it down and then wipe it dry...

If you use it, it should be smooth to the touch afterwords. If it isn't, that could be a sign to wax your car again. Ultimate QD is great for maintaining your wax job.
Old 08-24-07, 03:15 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I used this right after a wax job looks really good.. (wet look) looks better than wax alone. Just spray on and spread with MF towel.

but I never wipe the car with dirt on it myself. But I would think after a wash I will put some of this on again. Not sure about the 12 hour thing, try to keep it out of the elements for 12 hours i guess
Old 08-30-07, 04:40 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

bump....anyone can shed some light?
Old 08-30-07, 06:07 PM
kindred6ul
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to use it to your best judgement. If your car is heavily soiled you might need to wash it first. I use this product maybe a day or 2 after a fresh coat of wax and subsequently QD the car for a week to 2 weeks until my next wax. I still wash the car in between waxes and successfully kept great shine and water protection with UQD on my car. My application is just spray and wipe w/ a clean microfiber and if i notice any stickiness i'll flip the towel over to the dry side to buff it completely. The whole process takes less than 10 minutes from bumper to bumper. The 12 hour curing time is the total amount suggested by Meguiars so that the molecular bond between your clearcoat and QD has ample time to produce maximum shine, water resistance and dust resistance. During this "curing" time it is advisable to not have any dirt (dust is acceptable) or liquids contact the paint. This may interfere w/ the curing time and another application may be necessary as a result. In any case the results of this product vary depending on the condition of your paint and the type of weather you live in. I noticed that after a few rain storms and showers w/ just one coat a day or 2 before w/ UQD water and dirt seem to be less attracted to the paint. I also keep a fresh coat of NXT wax on the car weekly or bi-weekly so that helps condition dirt and unwanted contaminants from sticking to the finish. The UQD is a great product, but it should only be used as a detailer and not a wax. Your car still needs some sealant before you can achieve maximum results. With wax/sealant & UQD your car should feel better than new. I hope this answers all your questions.
Old 09-04-07, 02:05 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

thanks! will do that this weekend!
Old 09-05-07, 03:51 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This product works excellent, got some from an Autozone and washed the car and applied this afterward and it looked like I just waxed the car, although I did that the previous weekend But it leaves such a nice shine that I never got from other quick detailers