Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Dried out Leather on Rear Headrests- 2nd Gen

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-07, 01:57 PM
leksusGS15
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dried out Leather on Rear Headrests- 2nd Gen

I am aware of the polyurethane coating on GS seats, however my headrests got direct exposure to the sun and the leather seems to be dried out.

Also my leather is clean, but for the future is 303 Aerospace a good cleaner?

Last edited by leksusGS15; 01-19-08 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-26-07, 05:26 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by leksusGS15
I am aware of the polyurethane coating on GS seats, however my rear seats and headrests get direct exposure to the sun and the leather seems to be very dried out and its very obvious. It feels like dry elephant skin lol..ok i am exaggerating.

1. What conditioner can i use to soften this up?
Lexus conditioner, Lexol, Zaino will anything work

2.Also my leather is pretty clean, but for the future is 303 Aerospace a good cleaner?
I'd use the Lexus conditioner. Apply liberally and close up the car and park it in the sun for an hour to use heat to help the leather to absorb the conditioner. After an hour buff any excess from the leather and see if it has softened the leather. Zaino is also good but I can't stand the smell.

303 Aerospace protectant is just that a protectant. It is neither a cleaner nor a conditioner. It is basically topical UV protection, an extra optional product to use if your choice of conditioner doesn't contain UV protection.

Again, you still need to use a cleaner and a conditioner on your leather. Using 303 Aerospace Protectant will increase the UV protection but will not clean or condition your leather.
Old 08-27-07, 06:44 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would try the Lexol as Jim mentioned, or another readily available conditioner first, cover it in clear plastic even to prevent evaporation if you wish, and give it a few hours to overnight to do its thing. If that doesn't work, look into Leatherique;

http://www.leatherique.com/products.htm

303 protectant does a good job on coated/finished leathers, since they are basically plastic on the surface. They do soften and make things more pliable to a degree, but whether it's enough for your task (doubtful) is uncertain.

Here's a link to further explain what it does;

http://www.303products.com/tech/inde...Product_ID=400

You may need to do multiple applications over a short period of time to get suppleness back with a conditioner.

Good luck!
Old 08-27-07, 08:32 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my experience, I think Lexol works better than Lexus conditioner.
Leaves a little bit of oiliness..but you know that it will soak into the leather over time to make it more soft.

For the drying out problem, I think a good solution would be to tint the windows. They make a lot of difference, especially if you live in very hot weather.
Old 08-29-07, 08:09 PM
leksusGS15
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, guys