Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

I got a lexus with a lot of work to be done, advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-07, 09:14 PM
PPolisher
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by madmax98
Hello everyone, i just got a 98 SC300, black on black. the car is in awesome mechanical shape, however the owner didn't seem to know how to maintain the car cosmetically. the paint is in bad shape; there's a lot of scratches and swirl marks, scuffs everywhere, chips also and mild oxidation. I claybarred it and it made a slight difference which tells me he had it done before i bought it. i used mothers scratch remover as well as meguire's #7 but no luck with scratches or scuffs. i'm decided on buying a porter cable and i have few questions. There is a lot of pad options out there, is there an option i should get, or should i just get the basic? Also, what's the best, fairly priced products i should use with this ignored paint. Any help would be greatly appreciated guys and btw it feels good to be a lexus owner
First off congratulations on your new ride!

Meg's #7 Show Car Glaze is a pure polish and has no abrasives so all it would do and the pictures [thank you] show this is make the finish glossy for about 24 hours and then it just evaporates if not protected by a sealant or wax. Meg's #7 pure polish does not contain any fillers that some ‘boutique” polishes use for hiding scratches or swirls that clearly are shown in your pictures but it does look glossy - #7 doing its job.

Like JFELBAB aka Jim I too use Meguiar’s and have for many years because I know exactly what the final finish that I present to the client will look like.

Wash, clay, #80 unless my test area shows that I need to back down and then I start the process with #83 followed by #80 which contains the needed polish to make the finish pop especially with darker colored cars like yours. Then my last step is with Meguiar’s #21. Cars look great for five months here in Georgia then the protection decreases quickly. Wax here lasts about a month then its protection is gone.

I would suggest going to MOL Meguiar’s OnLine and do some research on their products and techniques which should help you with your process and your new PC and pads.

Your car will love you and the neighbors will be amazed at your final finished product.

Oh yea be ready for Joe Blow down the block or at work who comes to you with his one step product that he can apply and be done with his whole car in a hour. A good hand car wash takes this long. His product which is pure marketing – Turtle Wax Ice and their liquid clay bar - bwahahaha. Just smile and be nice because he knows no better.
Old 09-01-07, 07:11 AM
madmax98
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Sweet! Thanks guys. I might just go with Meguire's products then. This will be my first time going that far in detailing a car, i used to get them in good shape and just maintain them by hand. Looking forward to hear what other people wanna say too <where's everybody?>
Old 09-01-07, 11:53 AM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you really want it done right because of the condition you will need this:
Attached Thumbnails I got a lexus with a lot of work to be done, advice please.-11560_lg.jpg  
Old 09-01-07, 04:41 PM
madmax98
Instructor

Another option joined the list! man it's getting harder.
Lexkost, where do you get that from? thnx for your help man.
Old 09-01-07, 05:12 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by madmax98
Another option joined the list! man it's getting harder.
Lexkost, where do you get that from? thnx for your help man.
http://www.griotsgarage.com/index.jsp

and if you are using a porter cable get there backing pad.
Attached Thumbnails I got a lexus with a lot of work to be done, advice please.-pads-20003.jpg  
Old 09-01-07, 06:38 PM
madmax98
Instructor

what is it for or what advantage do i get using it?
Old 09-03-07, 11:00 PM
Armand
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MADMAX, you may want to check out autopia.org a detailers bulletin board with TONS of info for you. Sounds like using a PC or rotary and these "boutique" type products (glazes, polishes ect) maybe new to you even more-so considering the big task ahead of you. Why not just take the car to a professional detailer this one time and have them polish out all the swirls it may save you some headaches later. You don't have to have a complete detail just tell them you want them to get rid of the swirls and get the paint looking "wet" again.

Not to rain on your parade but this looks like a job for a rotary polisher and a rotary can ruin you paint fast if you don't know how to use one. besides the machine and products there are things like the type of polishing pads you'll need, they are all different densities for different applications this can run you some big $$ equaling the cost of a professional detail job. A set of polisher pads can run you $60+.

Just my $0.02 of info. As a detailing enthusiast Im not here to bust anyone's bubble because as I like to say detailing my car is my golf - i love it. But there is alot to learn and the $$ adds up ...better to start off slow.

good luck