Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

california duster

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-07 | 11:29 AM
omd316
Driver

Default california duster

so guys I got a california duster but i see that everytime i use it to dust the exterior of the car , it seems to leave streaks on what ever part I used it ... I let it dry in the sun like the instructions said but it seemed to make no difference at all ... dusting seems to be making the car looks worse ... any suggestions ? am I doing something wrong ?
Old 09-04-07 | 11:46 AM
Armand
Driver

The streaking stops after a few uses. Try laying the duster on some newspapers overnight to absorb the excess parafin wax that is used to coat the strands on the duster.
Old 09-04-07 | 01:41 PM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

Yeah, it's AMAZING how much paraffin is on that thing. It soaked through the newspaper and soaked the wood table I had it on.
Old 09-04-07 | 02:03 PM
omd316
Driver

alright guys thanks ... i was wondering why it keeps doing that .. ill give it a shot tonight
Old 09-04-07 | 02:30 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Also its best when you use it early in the morning or late at night. Basically when the paint isn't hot otherwise you can melt some of the wax on the duster.

BTW, since I have a black car, my dash and panels gets dusty quite easily. I use the mini duster for interior and it works great!!!
Old 09-04-07 | 02:37 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Sometimes it streaks when I use it but I thought it was because the car was too dusty. Either way, this thing is very handy and good for a quick wipe down .
Old 09-04-07 | 02:45 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by omd316
so guys I got a california duster but i see that everytime i use it to dust the exterior of the car , it seems to leave streaks on what ever part I used it ... I let it dry in the sun like the instructions said but it seemed to make no difference at all ... dusting seems to be making the car looks worse ... any suggestions ? am I doing something wrong ?
What color is your car? If it's black you may always see the streaks no matter how much break in you do. I eventually stopped using mine.
Old 09-06-07 | 12:18 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Try dusting your car in the late afternoon. If theres any dew or condensation on your car, it will smear. Dont apply too much pressure when dusting. VERY VERY light feather dusting is all thats needed, anymore and scratches and smearing problems will become evident.
Old 09-08-07 | 02:03 PM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Armand
The streaking stops after a few uses. Try laying the duster on some newspapers overnight to absorb the excess parafin wax that is used to coat the strands on the duster.
How much parafin wax are on these things? I've been doing it for three days straight while flipping it on all sides and it still soaks the newspaper. Is this an important part of the duster? They put so much that it seems like it's an important part of it that shouldn't be taken off or is it there for another reason?
Old 09-10-07 | 04:44 PM
Armand
Driver

It sometimes has quit a bit, if you have done the newspaper thing for a day or two then that's good enough, you just want to remove the excess. Once you start using it the dust will stick to the fibers and soak up more of the parafin. It may streak here and there but after about 5 good uses you should be okay.

Like others have said, best to use it when the paint is cool (less streaking) and just lightly dust the car. I have seen some use those like you would a scrub brush and it's just not meant to clean a car that has gone 7 days without a wash and parked outside the entire time.
Old 11-27-07 | 08:30 PM
IS250SoCal
Lead Lap

Default Da Duster

Hello all,

I just recently bought a Cali car duster and love it. Sometimes it gets super dusty out here in SoCal and this thing helps out ALOT!

The question I have is that some people say good things and some say bad things about this product. Some say it scratches the paint causing it to do more harm then help. Is this true........

If this is the case I will stop using it immediately and would anyone have an alternative solution?
Old 11-27-07 | 08:42 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

i thought i heard that these things scratch the ***** out of your paint?
Old 11-27-07 | 09:20 PM
GSteg
Rookie

I wont scratch the crap out of your so as long as you ONLY use it on light dust. And when I say light, i really mean light.
Old 11-29-07 | 07:45 PM
IS250SoCal
Lead Lap

It sounds like I should just can this thing. I works great but I dont want to do more harm than good.......

Any other alternatives...........
Old 11-29-07 | 09:02 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

My California duster has been in service for a good amount o fyears now, I hear it gets better the older it gets.

However it seems like mine just pushes dust around now. Time to get a new one or can I do anything to it?

Quick Reply: california duster