Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Dish Washer soap for Car Wash... Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-07, 08:24 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Guitarman
I must step in to say that cured urethane enamel has no "oils" whatsoever, so none can be depleted. This is just one myth that has been around forever, and you can't really blame anyone for saying it because not everyone understands the chemical nature of car paint as it currently exists.

The solvents that exist in the makeup of the paint off-gas for a while when curing but when fully cured, urethane enamel is a solid film that does not blush or emit anything. It is in essence, a form of PLASTIC.

That said, anything highly alkanline or acidic can over time, dull the finish, it won't happen immediately though.

The only immediate negative of using dishwashing liquid is that it strips wax and most sealants (to varying degrees) so you're kind of shooting yourself in the foot by using it regularly, unless you wax/seal afterward.

Hope this helps.
I agree with everything you said. However, I believe that the whole story has not been told. Basically we are talking about paint, right? Dish soap WILL wreak havoc on all black trim, plastic, rubber, mouldings and wiper blades. I learned the hard way and will never use dish soap again. After 30 years of washing and detailing my own cars, I cannot believe how long my black trim has lasted since using the proper soap.