Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Lexus paint not durable?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-07, 08:04 PM
2JZ_SC
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know I'm going to get yelled at, but it is designed that way. If you will look the chips (most of the time) are not down to the metal. There is a seal coat on the front to let the paint flak off and not get to the metal to keep it from rusting. (that's what the teacher for Toyota told us about Toyota paint,I find the same think on my Lexus) Now, Let em fly.
Old 09-10-07, 05:25 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2JZ_SC
I know I'm going to get yelled at, but it is designed that way. If you will look the chips (most of the time) are not down to the metal. There is a seal coat on the front to let the paint flak off and not get to the metal to keep it from rusting. (that's what the teacher for Toyota told us about Toyota paint,I find the same think on my Lexus) Now, Let em fly.
Well them my paint didn't work as intended. Sure, I do see a lot of them chiping to the primer or whatever the undercoating is, but I also had a lot of them chip right to the bare metal. Like I mentioned before, I've had rock chips on all of my other cars as well, but the Lexus is the worse and at a much faster rate.

Anyway, even if what you say is true, I think that is a stupid design. What would be the point of designing a paint to easily chip right down to the undercoat? Why not just design a paint that doesn't chip as easy to begin with? What makes easily chipped paint good and paint that doesn't easily chip bad? I honestly don't see any reason why one would want the paint to easily chip unless it is for monetary reasons in that they want people to have to spend money to repaint the car often.
Old 09-10-07, 05:00 PM
2JZ_SC
Lead Lap

It is for reasons like this that I'm getting out of the car business. I agree with you 100%, but that is what we were told to tell our customers. I don't ask why. Most of the time I don’t want to know. I will say that after my Lex was keyed (MUST KILL!!!!!!), I had to repaint the left side of my car and hood. That was last year and not one chip so far (now I'll get one on my way home....)
Old 09-10-07, 05:01 PM
2JZ_SC
Lead Lap

Sorry for all the icons. I'm having a REALY BAD DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-12-07, 05:37 PM
Alvin_H
Driver School Candidate

I have come to a point where I am trying to avoid driving on freeways or driving fast in general......!!!

I bought a bottle of "scratch doctor" ....anybody tried this product before? I have no PC so I use hand ....is it possible to slowly polish some light swirls away?
Old 09-13-07, 02:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Alvin_H
I have come to a point where I am trying to avoid driving on freeways or driving fast in general......!!!

I bought a bottle of "scratch doctor" ....anybody tried this product before? I have no PC so I use hand ....is it possible to slowly polish some light swirls away?
yes you can. basically PC is your hands x 100 in speed, so you just need to buff it for a lot longer
Old 05-18-24, 03:27 PM
venera
6th Gear

Did no one choose anti scratch clear coat option when ordering there vehicle.
please see link most Lexus dealers offer this.

besides from that option upon deliver had it detailed and ceramic coating by carpro cquartz. Paint is 3r1 red mica on a Fsport performance

https://mag.lexus.co.uk/how-lexus-pa...rns-back-time/

Decided not to do PPF, on my other vehicles upon delivery had STEK PPF applied after detail. Porsche Cayenne. VW Golf GTD Superwagen. Ford Explorer
Noticed under certain light there is a yellow hue. Probably sun degradation to PPF adhesive