Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Lexus paint not durable?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-07, 12:56 AM
Alvin_H
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus paint not durable?

Hey just wondering if Lexus paints are not as good as let's say Benz or BMW's paints? In terms of durability at least....

I've had my IS350 for only a month and I rarely drive hard nor tailgate others...yet I notice a few rock chips here and there ....I used to own a BMW and the durability of the paint seems to be much more durable! Thoughts?

My car is obsidian black btw.
Old 09-06-07, 02:44 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alvin_H
Hey just wondering if Lexus paints are not as good as let's say Benz or BMW's paints? In terms of durability at least....

I've had my IS350 for only a month and I rarely drive hard nor tailgate others...yet I notice a few rock chips here and there ....I used to own a BMW and the durability of the paint seems to be much more durable! Thoughts?

My car is obsidian black btw.

I personally think that many of today's automotive paints are not as durable as in the past due to different EPA regulations and what not. However, my 04 Lexus paint was the least durable paint out of any car I've owned. I had rock chips, etched paint all within the first week of ownership. Looking at my 2002 BMW paint, it has a few rock chips up front here and there on the bumper and the hood. Someting you'd expect for a 5 year old car. My 04 Lexus had more rock chips and looked a lot worst by the end of 6 months.

Just search the forums and you'll find a lot of posts on paint issues.
Old 09-06-07, 03:46 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes I agree about the rock chips. I hadnt had this problem with other cars I owned, at least not to this extent, so after I had my front end repainted I am going next week to have a clear bra put on.
Old 09-06-07, 01:59 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

It just happens to be that the Germans paints are harder. A lot of them, esp mercedes comes with scratch-resistant paints.

There are pros and cons with each, but I rather have the harder paint.

Most japanese cars are known to have softer paint.
Old 09-06-07, 02:22 PM
Alvin_H
Driver School Candidate

I am glad it wasn't just me.....lol

yeah, I used to own a 02 325xi and the topaz blue paint was pretty good given the years I have drove it for.(lots of highways/freeways etc)

I can't believe so many little scratches and chips are so obvious when my car is only 1 month old! Kinda regret not getting a starfire pearl .....
Old 09-06-07, 02:50 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
yes I agree about the rock chips. I hadnt had this problem with other cars I owned, at least not to this extent, so after I had my front end repainted I am going next week to have a clear bra put on.
Those clear bras look terrible after yellowing fromthe sun and heat. I've seen them and they're terrible. I heard that they all do it egardless of brand.

When I had the SC, I got the front repainted 4 times. To me, it's worth it. Lexus paint does seem to be easy to chip. My G35 paint was easy to scratch but no stone chips. The scratches could barely be seen after waxing. I'd rather have small scratches than rock chips.
Old 09-06-07, 04:06 PM
rayy
Lead Lap

at least, i'm not the only one. i have a WHOLE LOT of rock chips on the hood & bumper.
Old 09-06-07, 04:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

my 02 camry had better paint than my 98 gs, which has better paint than my newer cars

basically paint from all manufacturers got worse over the years due to all the regulation and water base paint, etc.... some body shops they use oil base paint still and they are so hard and durable.

i have seen some new bmw and their front are full of rock chips as welll
Old 09-06-07, 05:19 PM
Dr.Zeus
Lead Lap

I've had my car garaged from the day I bought it and the paint is so glossy. I use it as my everyday commuter, so aside from a few chips the darn paint looks great.
Old 09-07-07, 12:34 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by reggiek
Those clear bras look terrible after yellowing fromthe sun and heat. I've seen them and they're terrible. I heard that they all do it egardless of brand.

When I had the SC, I got the front repainted 4 times. To me, it's worth it. Lexus paint does seem to be easy to chip. My G35 paint was easy to scratch but no stone chips. The scratches could barely be seen after waxing. I'd rather have small scratches than rock chips.
I have talked to a few people that have the clear bra and they say as long as you maintain it, ie wax it with the rest of the car, you wont have the yellowing problem for several years. My car sees the sun for about 20min per day so I assume it will last even longer. And if it yellows there is a 5 year warranty against that so I will have it replaced
Old 09-07-07, 02:49 AM
dsp979
Lead Lap

I have a lot of rock chips from freeway driving, but what gets me is that my car got egged in front of my friend's place and the egg shell did a number on my paint. I will try to get a close up pic of the damage when i get my camera back.
Old 09-07-07, 07:23 AM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Unhappy clearcoat pitted

I have a clear bra and no rock chips, but on the roof, trunk and hood above the bra line, I swear I see little pits. Very small no larger than the head of a ball point pin, but they are there on all the Horizontal surfaces.
I use Zaino, and its never been with out a coat on it. Its not Bird crap.
The sides, fenders, doors, bumpers are fine. I think the clearcoat is very weak.
Just those flat surfaces. If you look at it at an angle you can see, you have to look close.
From a distance, it looks normal. Bra looks like crap,it hasn't yellowed, but it has many imperfections and 'Orange peel' looks. But it has protected the paint under it. So I don't plan on taking it off. The paint has been very frustrating with this car. I guess disappointing is a good word. Drives nice, runs very well, but I think it looks 10 years old.
Old 09-07-07, 09:29 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

My Lexus GS paint has to be the worst car I have ever owned or experienced to being prone to rock chips, etching, as well as having orange peel. I have never had a car that is so easyily chipped on the hood and it is amazing after washing it how many new chips and scratches I notice. It is almost pointless to keep applying touch up paint because new ones keep popping up and touchup looks so ugly. My 94 Mitsu Eclipse never chipped this much nor did my 96 Accord and my parents 99 and 03 Acuras. Whatever Lexus does with their paint they need to change to make it more durable because it is unacceptable especially on a expensive luxury car. I will definitely need to have my hood and maybe front bumper repainted and I do not tailgate and I stay away from trucks as much as I can.
Old 09-07-07, 12:14 PM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lexus paint sucks *****. I love my IS more than anything but damn it chips so easy. The paint is suppose to be eco friendly or something like that.
Old 09-07-07, 06:57 PM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Default Good chinese durable lead paint option?

I wish we could get some of that durable Chinese lead paint they are putting on toys. That stuff is tuff. I mean it's not like any of use would go out and chew on the paint on our Lexus? Would anyone?
I never sniffed brake pad dust and they took the asbestos out of them. Dissapated heat good and lasted forever. Now their made of cornstalks or something that doesn’t last.
I wish if the government is going to be a nanny to us, check our food and the Dog and cat food. Food is ingested, not the dam paint on our cars.
I wish there had been a check box when I ordered my IS:
“You want the good tough paint?” YES! Extra $25 Ok.

Quick Reply: Lexus paint not durable?