Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
View Poll Results: Lexus paint-clearcoat is weak and worthless. Should we unite in a class action suit?
I agree the the weak paint-clearcoat issue, count me in the class action suit against Toyota-Lexus.
46.27%
I don't agree, the paint-clearcoat is absolutely perfect just the way it is!
16.42%
I don't agree, the paint-clearcoat is weak, yes, but it does conforms to the US Federal regulations.
37.31%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Lexus paint-clear coat. Should we unite in a Class Action Suit? POLL INSIDE

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-07, 04:29 PM
rs/ss
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sirkfc
Uh, you do realize that your "win" here is on a self-fulfilling poll, right? Likely the people voting here are the ones who have a gripe, while others will just ignore it. I just stumbled across it...

Your available choices were somewhat biased too. Definitely a flawed survey from that standpoint. Neither the 2nd and 3rd choices convey the thought that there is no merit for a lawsuit and that no fraud or negligence was perpetuated.

But anyway, fun poll to see what else people can find to complain about.
Choice 2 does just that. Read it again.
You seem to be complaining more about people taking a poll than those responding to it imho.
Old 09-14-07, 06:06 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rs/ss
Choice 2 does just that. Read it again.
You seem to be complaining more about people taking a poll than those responding to it imho.
No, the second choice is an obvious throwaway vote with its phrasing. Nothing is absolutely perfect as it is. Basically this issue for me misses many shades of gray, as it's either lawsuit or perfect... with choice #3 sort of in the middle but not really on point either.

As for me complaining about the poll.. yeah, I think I've said a lot here already. It's the lawsuit aspect of it that bothers me. I've had similar issue to the brake dust complainers in the IS forum, where people seem to be demanding a perfect car, for free, despite the parts working exactly the way it was intended... hit by a rock, there's a mark. Have high performance brakes with these materials, dust. Yet in both cases, people are demanding Lexus do their mods for them. All that'll do is take their efforts away from other projects to improve their cars and have costs be passed down the channel.
Old 09-14-07, 07:20 PM
rs/ss
Pole Position

I appreciate what you said sirkfc and don't get me wrong I'm not saying legal action is the way to go.
Would you agree that for a car that cost over $40k one could expect a coin holder or is it an un-fair expectation. Isn't that what it's all about people who have different expectations not being met?
If you want to hear complaining listen to what's being said about the 08 coin holder.
Old 09-14-07, 10:02 PM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rs/ss
I appreciate what you said sirkfc and don't get me wrong I'm not saying legal action is the way to go.
Would you agree that for a car that cost over $40k one could expect a coin holder or is it an un-fair expectation. Isn't that what it's all about people who have different expectations not being met?
If you want to hear complaining listen to what's being said about the 08 coin holder.
Not to go too far off topic, but the coin holder is not a good example... Expectations for what you get for a certain price differs between people. Taken to an extreme, if a Ferrari didn't have a coin holder, I wouldn't care.

In any case, the lack of a coin holder for the pre 08 IS is something that was not hidden. when the car was bought, if it was really THAT important, it should have been checked out. Otherwise, to lament later on that you got ripped off or that the car wasn't a good value for the price because of that... well, I don't buy that argument.

Any complaint beyond, "yeah, sometimes I wish it had a good coinholder", I would consider ridiculous.

For this paint issue, yes, sometimes we wish the paint could be tough and in spec with regulations and look good all at the same time. But to go all the way to class action lawsuit because of pure physics... too much.
Old 09-14-07, 11:26 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
this is absolutely ridiculous...

hell, to me, it's your fault you didn't spend a few extra bucks for the clear bra...

Exactly! Get the clear bra.

There's no case. No one is hurt in any way... unless you got poisoned by the lead paint used by Toyota.
Old 09-15-07, 11:19 AM
rs/ss
Pole Position

I agree with your comment sirkfc but to clarify my,and this is only me now, expectation wouldn't be to have a coin holder in a Ferrari. My expectations would be more performance minded ie brake fade and skid pad type stuff.

I took the advice of many here and purchased a clear bra but I can see how some may see it as a possible "work around". Myself I viewed it as added protection. I do hope the paint is up to what I expect from Lexus.
Old 09-15-07, 01:05 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by warrionex
I would like to hear from the competing luxury lines, you know BMW and Mercedes, preferably cars manufacture after 2005.

Warrionex
From what I understand, MB and BMW paints are different because of less-strict VOC regulations. This is not a good comparison. Maybe we should sue the EPA for setting laws that regulate the amount of VOC in the paint that cause these soft results.
Old 09-15-07, 01:14 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Precisely, your GS was manufacture 10 years ago and the excuse of new regulations is going to appear again in the member's replies. I would like to hear from the competing luxury lines, you know BMW and Mercedes, preferably cars manufacture after 2005.

Warrionex
I have a 2005 BMW and my parents have a 2006 Merc. BMW paint is just as bad. very soft. Mercedes paint is top notch still. MUCH MUCH better than Lexus and BMW you can just tell... next time you pass by the dealer go check it out... BMW and Merc you can feel and just tell that the Merc paint is at much higher quality.
Old 09-15-07, 01:26 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Some people turn to offensive words when they are unable to convince others in a civilized manner. I sorry for you and the ones near you. In a democracy the majority always win. Till now, apparently I'm winning. May I ask you to see the poll's results. Very inspiring, isn't it.
You don't need to be sorry for me, or people around me. We understand that rock chips are something that happens. If we feel it's getting to unbearable, we either go buy touch up paint from Lexus, or get the car resprayed. We aren't trying to sue Lexus over something so trivial as chipping paint due to rocks flying at 65mph towards our car. It doesn't matter that it's a Lexus or a Merc, or BMW. Are you going to go buy a Hyundai now because it's paint holds up better than the 'horrible' paint on your Lexus? If it's so big a deal, get a clear bra, or get your hood/front resprayed.

I'd like to see you take this to court. Keep us informed on how it goes for you.
Old 09-15-07, 06:15 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Originally Posted by sirkfc
Not to go too far off topic, but the coin holder is not a good example... Expectations for what you get for a certain price differs between people. Taken to an extreme, if a Ferrari didn't have a coin holder, I wouldn't care.
Not only do they not come with coin holder, but Ferrari's pitted front ends make Lexus rock chips seem insignificant and you don't hear Ferrari owners crying about it. They simply deal with it by getting clear bras.
Old 09-16-07, 05:55 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the paint sucks, but I don't believe in a class action lawsuit for this problem.
Old 09-20-07, 07:11 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Everyone here should check Warrionex's other threads. I think you will find that he is a very litigious individual, ready to sue at the drop of a hat.
Old 09-20-07, 07:15 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Everyone here should check Warrionex's other threads. I think you will find that he is a very litigious individual, ready to sue at the drop of a hat.
I can't STAND that...
Old 09-21-07, 05:28 AM
warrionex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Originally Posted by mitsuguy
I can't STAND that...
You didn't check my whole history so don't speak about me without full knowledge. If this alternative was brought up by me in any other thread it always was at a last remedy in an extreme situation. Like the time a Lexus dealer installed a third party park sensors (not the oem's) to a fellow member to her brand new IS. Everyone and I mean everyone in the thread was outrage about this unfortunate situation.

Going to courts (after substantially dealing, fighting, arguing, mediating in administrative hearings, etc. with both the dealer and Toyota/Lexus Corp.) if you think your rights have been violated is healthy in our democracy. The framers of the constitution created the judicial branch to assure the balance of powers between the three branches but also to assure that government and individuals don't infringe upon each other's rights and duties.

You see, most of the important consumer rights were created as a result of the alternative we are discussing today. And in the automobile industry many recalls were the result of class actions suits like this.

Again, I respect both of your opinions but if don't think this is a viable alternative in this case, just vote and say what you think, don't boycott the voting process. At the end you could both be right in not to suit, but for me the most important thing here is to know how everyones felt about this frustrating situation with our paint/clearcoat. Just ask yourself, if your opinion is more important or valuable than 46% percent of the members who considered formal legal action in this case.

Even the minority has a place to be heard, so go ahead and speak!

Warrionex

Last edited by warrionex; 09-21-07 at 05:35 AM.
Old 09-21-07, 02:57 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Warrionex, If you go back through all 589 of your comments and threads you will find that there is a definite pattern in your words regarding legal action against Lexus or whoever. I'm simply stating that I've noticed this pattern and pointed it out to other CL members. I mean, really, a class action lawsuit against Lexus because your paint is too soft and chips easily??? Come on, man. Do you realize just how silly that sounds?
Maybe your real class action lawsuit should be against all of the dirt and gravel truck companies. It's their trucks, after all, that cause all these chips to begin with. Leave Lexus out of it, it's not their fault.

Quick Reply: Lexus paint-clear coat. Should we unite in a Class Action Suit? POLL INSIDE