Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
View Poll Results: Lexus paint-clearcoat is weak and worthless. Should we unite in a class action suit?
I agree the the weak paint-clearcoat issue, count me in the class action suit against Toyota-Lexus.
46.27%
I don't agree, the paint-clearcoat is absolutely perfect just the way it is!
16.42%
I don't agree, the paint-clearcoat is weak, yes, but it does conforms to the US Federal regulations.
37.31%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Lexus paint-clear coat. Should we unite in a Class Action Suit? POLL INSIDE

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-11, 12:01 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 430 Likes on 354 Posts

I figured the paint was covered under the factory warranty? My SC's front bumper was repainted by the dealership back in the 90's. Apparently, my warranty covered it.
Old 04-03-11, 06:31 PM
ARehman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My front end is chipped all over, but its also has 100k miles of daily highway driving and also winter driving which means a lot of salt gets kicked up and into my front bumper. Also once a damn snow plow literally started spraying salt right when I was next to him, blasted the front of my car. However for all the abuse it has faced it, it has been extremely durable and still shines like a mirror. I haven't seen a silver car that can reflect like a mirror as my car does. I do however agree that the German vehicles have much better durability and their black paint simply looks better, when not maintained.
Old 04-04-11, 06:31 AM
NealK
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus is well aware of their paint problems. Class action suit filed

Originally Posted by raytseng
Good bump of an old thread; that link has some good info. If you personally are having a problem, go for it, pursuit of perfection and all that.
But don't try to convince others or expect sympathy from people who aren't having an issue.

However it turns out, it'll make the lexus I buy in 2015 that much better.
People who have the problem are well aware of the problem otherwise this thread wouldn't have been started. My problem is on a black 2010 IS250. I have a Lexus RX330 that doesn't have the problem.(even that vehicle has more marks than I find acceptable compared to other vehicles ) Not only is the chipping and bug marks a problem this is what my paint looks like in the sun. And no the finger print type marks don't wipe off, they are in the paint.
A Lexus factory rep came out and looked at it. The dealer I took it to said he had never seen anything like it. I received a letter from Lexus saying that it was acceptable. To who? To date I only have apprx 4100 miles
Attached Thumbnails Lexus paint-clear coat.   Should we unite in a Class Action Suit?  POLL INSIDE-fp4-1.jpg  
Old 07-15-12, 09:47 AM
scotish1
Driver School Candidate

Default 2012 lexus es350

Just bought brand new ES350 now with less then 5000 miles it has more scratches on it then any car I have ever owned and I have always had high end cars, I do not bring my cars through car washes and I am compulsive about keeping my cars up!! Has anyone else had this problem with a 2012 I have read earlier years, they have had the problem. I have had them look at the scratches and say there is noting they can do. I would be happy to hear from any one else that is experiencing the same problem
Old 07-15-12, 04:23 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

had that problem with a 2011 DSM ES350. lexus factory rep came out to see the car only for him to tell me there was nothing he could do and that it was normal. so after a lot of cursing and flailing of the hands on my part,,, he got away from me quick. the dealer gave me a few comp details. waste of time. when i bought a 2011 SGM ES350
the problem started again although not as severe as the DSM. so i bought a PC 7424XP some cutting and finishing polish and some LC pads. solved the problem. now my car is Obsidian, and i still use my PC,, no more scratches etc... if you want something done right sometimes you have to do it yourself. as for the chips,,, a clear bra will do the trick. don't think lexus really gives a **** about our complaints,,, they sell cars and that's all that matters to them. and i don't think they'll change the paint in any way shape or form. let's say you win the suit and everyone gets compensated for a new paint job and or correction,,, you drive the car home get out and see chips or scratches that just happened on your way home or after a few days,,,, then what???? i clean and maintain my car at least twice a week depending,,, i am very careful and make sure that whoever comes in contact with my car is careful too. no need buying an expensive car and letting it go to **** because you feel you've been shafted,, and i agree i am one of you,,, however i took matters into my own hands and made sure my car was and is well maintained inside and out.

Last edited by sydtoosic; 07-15-12 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-15-12, 11:10 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Considering that not many objects out there can withstand 60+mph impacts with small pebbles without sustaining some damage, its rather logical for Lexus or any manufacturer to "not care" because that is a fact of a paints life. Those saying older cars have no rock chips due to their "superior" paints are just plain lying. Until the "miracle" paint comes into play where it resists any damage at all, no manufacturer in their right mind would agree to care. Those that do get repaired are either pitied by some employee that doesn't know anything about paint or something similar. If in the event that the OEM paint is lifting from the sheet metal on its own accord, then that is something that Lexus Corp should repair
Old 07-16-12, 05:50 AM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 2012 CT200h SE and couldn't be happier with my paint. I consider it to be well above average. I protected my car with OptiCoat when new and after 6 months I don't yet have any rock chips.....but I try to avoid the interstate when it rains and pay strict attention to not get around big rigs in rain or construction areas. I know rock chips are inevitable but I have been lucky so far. As far as scratches and swirl marks are concerned they are strictly a matter of washing and drying technique....no dealer or anyone else but me will be doing either to my vehicles.....that way the minor imperfections I induce are easily polished out with my pc.
Old 07-16-12, 05:56 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Paint coating systems have changed a lot over the years. Paints used to be much softer and were just a primer and a single stage of color. Older paints were much, much softer and easier to correct by hand when marring took place. When newly painted, these solvent based paints would cure more slowly and allow for more paint leveling as it set-up. This resulted in less orange peel. Being softer, they were much more tolerant of small impact hits from tiny gravel kicked up from tires. Older paints were poor at standing up to oxidation and yet when they were properly prepped they looked stunning.

Then along came the EPA's VOC regulations. Today's modern paint coating systems are a different animal. First they are very, very thin. Second they have a very hard and scratch sensitive clear coat on them. That clear-coat amplifies marring as light can now get behind the marring. Today's paints are water based while the older paints were solvent based and this change has resulted in paint that is more brittle and prone to chipping. This change in paint was not wholly the doings of the auto industry but the EPA that brought them along, mostly kicking and screaming. All that aside, there is little to argue that these modern paints are indeed better overall at protecting the metal and looking pretty good in the process. The changes have made it almost impossible for anyone without a polishing tool to correct any significant marring.

I doubt a case could be made that the marring in the image shown earlier is the fault of the manufacturer. I'd venture that the paint was not looking like that upon delivery. Something out of the dealership's control likely caused that marring. This can be corrected with a polisher and I'd not expect the dealership to be responsible for how a car's paint is cared for after the sale outside of the rust through warranty or some obvious paint defect.

Paint technology has come a long way, mostly for the better and in some ways not. It is what it is. I'd highly recommend the purchase of a polishing tool like a DA polisher for anyone who wants to keep their paint looking like new.

Last edited by jfelbab; 07-16-12 at 05:59 AM.
Old 07-16-12, 07:20 AM
PTmobile
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by warrionex
It is unconceivable to accept the type of paint or combination of paint-clearcoat that Toyota-Lexus is using in our cars. There should not be a difference between lets say BMW, Mercedes or Lexus. Every car company should provide a paint-clearcoat with the minimum acceptable requirements to their customers considering real world conditions of the roads.

Here in CL we have lots of evidence to show that the paint-clearcoat is too soft or weak for use in daily driving. Car companies know that roads are not perfect and we find every day in the streets, roads and highways, among other insignificant debris: very minuscule stones, sand, loose soil that shouldn't be a problem when hitting our bonnets and front area of the car. But no, Toyota-Lexus made it a problem because of the soft or weak paint-clearcoat.

I don't have the same problems with my Pontiac Firebird and my Grand Cherokee. What will be the excuse now?

Just to know how you feel, please participate in this poll.
Sorry but I see this same complaint in the Infiniti, Chevy, BMW, Ford, Ferrari, Porsche.... you name the automaker and I see it in their forum. It is not Toyota/Lexus pushing bad paint to save money. We have environmental laws these days that FORCE automakers to use water based paints which are really soft. Its a fact of life now so get used to it. Every country pretty much has the same laws as they all base them off the EPA's regulations. Its unfortunate but its what we get for allowing the tree huggers to take over. You think its bad now... wait another 5-10 years and see what you get.
Old 07-16-12, 09:13 AM
votru
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PTmobile
Sorry but I see this same complaint in the Infiniti, Chevy, BMW, Ford, Ferrari, Porsche.... you name the automaker and I see it in their forum. It is not Toyota/Lexus pushing bad paint to save money. We have environmental laws these days that FORCE automakers to use water based paints which are really soft. Its a fact of life now so get used to it. Every country pretty much has the same laws as they all base them off the EPA's regulations. Its unfortunate but its what we get for allowing the tree huggers to take over. You think its bad now... wait another 5-10 years and see what you get.
Very good post, totally agree .
Old 07-28-16, 11:00 PM
colrains
Driver School Candidate

Default LX 350 Paint is "Princess and a Pea"

The Lexus 2015 RX 350 would insult a princess. A princess is stronger. The LX 350 is supposed to be AWD. Presumably it can be driven on a road. Maybe even on a wet road. Afterall it is AWD.

If the paint is touched it scratched on a feather. In only 3 weeks touched by a child, the LX 350 has a deep scratches with no effort whatsoever. Similar on the bumper from simple grocery packing and unpacking.

Projecting forward this paint job is so weak, the RX 350 is unsuitable for families , unsuitable for weekend trips, unsuitable for snow, unsuitable for beach... Is the only thing it is suitable for is keeping in the garage ?

I was at Lexus today and noticed similar issues with paint on other vehicles. Even a 2015 LX350 on the showroom platform

Lexus said - yes they know - used soft paint to be environmentally friendly starting 2010

My 2004 BMW has fewer scratches than the 3 week old LX350

I wish this had been in the Car reviews. It will be now!

I hope Lexus steps up and solves this, and fixes the cars impacted

Old 07-30-16, 08:49 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by colrains
The Lexus 2015 RX 350 would insult a princess. A princess is stronger. The LX 350 is supposed to be AWD. Presumably it can be driven on a road. Maybe even on a wet road. Afterall it is AWD.

If the paint is touched it scratched on a feather. In only 3 weeks touched by a child, the LX 350 has a deep scratches with no effort whatsoever. Similar on the bumper from simple grocery packing and unpacking.

Projecting forward this paint job is so weak, the RX 350 is unsuitable for families , unsuitable for weekend trips, unsuitable for snow, unsuitable for beach... Is the only thing it is suitable for is keeping in the garage ?

I was at Lexus today and noticed similar issues with paint on other vehicles. Even a 2015 LX350 on the showroom platform

Lexus said - yes they know - used soft paint to be environmentally friendly starting 2010

My 2004 BMW has fewer scratches than the 3 week old LX350

I wish this had been in the Car reviews. It will be now!

I hope Lexus steps up and solves this, and fixes the cars impacted
Don't buy a black car next time for a daily driver. Then you won't need to come into the forums to make these ridiculous claims.

I am guessing your car is either jet black, metallic black, some type of dark blue/green/red/brown or similar dark color. Newsflash, all those paints are considered SOFT, regardless if it's made by Lexus, or the hardest of paints Mercedes.

Without proper car care, those colors end up looking completely trashed after mild use. They require alot more maintenance than light colors like silver, beige, metallic/pearl white, etc.

Do your part, learn proper washing techniques, order the right products and put in the work. Otherwise sell it and buy a color you are able to maintain.

I've been doing paint corrections for a living for a very reputable shop for the last 4 years full time, seen it all, done it all from $5k cars to $750k cars... guess what, the cars with teh higher price tag that are hand painted and finished are actually trickier to maintain and alot more prone to damage than automated paints found on cheaper cars. Nature of the beast.

Lexus paint is nowhere near as bad as some inexperienced people claim it to be. I have a big smile on my face every time we get a dark colored Lexus in the shop because I know it will be a piece of cake, no nonsense process of working with it.
Old 07-30-16, 10:38 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Yes many years ago the paint was solvent base, but their have been 2 part paints for years. The primers are 2 part and so are the clear coats but for some stupid reason car manufactures started using single stage water born garbage paint for the base or color coat. And with all the talk of repainting a car if the clear is pealing, I find it funny because how can a true bond be made to a former water color single stage? That is where the big problem is with the modern paint system and why some new cars do have paint problems. With all the modern filtering systems there is no reason to not have all the stages of paint being a 2 part urethane or epoxy done at the factory.
I'm sure the big Boeing planes are not painted with a water base system that would peal off the fuselage at 600 miles per hour, nor are all the navy ships.
Old 08-09-16, 11:45 AM
skreilly
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hoping I am in the right spot for this post. I own a 2002 IS300 original red paint. The car and paint have been well cared for. About a year ago, I noticed lots of white spots under the clear coat. The small spots ranging from the size of a quarter to smaller than a pea were all over the hood, roof and trunk, and appeared literally overnight. There is nothing on the side panels. Took the car to the dealership along with three body shops and all said they hadn't seen anything like it. One thought it was clear failure, others said some type of acid rain. A friend who is a lexus mechanic said the cars was prone to this and that the spots would go away and reappear with the humidity. It is very humid where I live and have noticed that when the humidity is high, the spots, indeed seem to disappear.
Anyone else experience this, suggestions? I am totally bummed as I have worked hard to keep this car in great condition, inside and out. The car is very high mileage, but I don't think that should be an excuse. It has been garaged about 75% of the time.
Old 08-09-16, 12:19 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by skreilly
Hoping I am in the right spot for this post. I own a 2002 IS300 original red paint. The car and paint have been well cared for. About a year ago, I noticed lots of white spots under the clear coat. The small spots ranging from the size of a quarter to smaller than a pea were all over the hood, roof and trunk, and appeared literally overnight. There is nothing on the side panels. Took the car to the dealership along with three body shops and all said they hadn't seen anything like it. One thought it was clear failure, others said some type of acid rain. A friend who is a lexus mechanic said the cars was prone to this and that the spots would go away and reappear with the humidity. It is very humid where I live and have noticed that when the humidity is high, the spots, indeed seem to disappear.
Anyone else experience this, suggestions? I am totally bummed as I have worked hard to keep this car in great condition, inside and out. The car is very high mileage, but I don't think that should be an excuse. It has been garaged about 75% of the time.
Please post some pictures

Quick Reply: Lexus paint-clear coat. Should we unite in a Class Action Suit? POLL INSIDE