Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Paint Restoration?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-07, 09:31 PM
HighSoarer
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Restoration?

Does anyone know anything about something I can use for paint restoration? My car kind of has that oxidized look to it from the sun, and it is making my black paint more greyish looking. Is there a product I can use to make the paint look more like new again, or would it be easier to simply repaint it?
Old 09-14-07, 06:26 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by HighSoarer
Does anyone know anything about something I can use for paint restoration? My car kind of has that oxidized look to it from the sun, and it is making my black paint more greyish looking. Is there a product I can use to make the paint look more like new again, or would it be easier to simply repaint it?
What year vehicle and is it clear coated?

Do you have any pictures?

Will you be doing this by hand or do you own a PC?

There are several products that will remove oxidation and restore your finish. Your answers to these questions will help zero in on what might be best for you.
Old 09-14-07, 04:51 PM
HighSoarer
Driver

Originally Posted by jfelbab
What year vehicle and is it clear coated?

Do you have any pictures?

Will you be doing this by hand or do you own a PC?

There are several products that will remove oxidation and restore your finish. Your answers to these questions will help zero in on what might be best for you.
It's a 92 (old school) The front bumper and the hood don't have clearcoat except in the corners.

No pictures now, but I can try and see if I can snag some later. My digicam got stolen but I'm sure I can find a friend with one.

I don't own a PC, I'm just interested in seeing what my options are right now. I'm just tired of looking at the hood in it's current state.
Old 09-14-07, 07:02 PM
jfelbab

It's a 92 (old school) The front bumper and the hood don't have clearcoat except in the corners.

No pictures now, but I can try and see if I can snag some later. My digicam got stolen but I'm sure I can find a friend with one.

I don't own a PC, I'm just interested in seeing what my options are right now. I'm just tired of looking at the hood in it's current state.
Assuming no clear and doing the job by hand with OTC products.

I'd start with clay. Clay will remove a lot of oxidation but not all. After claying you need to use a paint cleaner or a cleaner/wax. You might try Meguiar's Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner or ScratchX. Apply with a micro-fiber covered foam pad or a terry covered applicator. A foam applicator really doesn't have the bite needed to effectively remove oxidation. Work the cleaner into a 2' x 2' section at a time. Work it well until you see it starts to clear and then remove the residue. Don't let these cleaners dry before removing.

After using the cleaner and removing the residue examine the paint and see if you have removed all of the oxidation. When you are satisfied with the results you have an idea of what will be needed to complete the job. Move on the the next 2x2 section and repeat the process.

Perhaps a one step cleaner/wax product like Meguiar's ColorX might work for you too.

Once your paint starts to oxidize it is important to keep the surface protected so that it does not oxidize again. I'd suggest using Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze to restore some of the oils to the paint and seal that with NXT Tech Wax..

Some other tips... If you can, use a car cover to keep the sun off the paint as much as you can. Once your paint starts to oxidize you need to keep after it as the paint is now deteriorating. You really don't want the paint to show oxidation so your washing and waxing routine will need to be stepped up. This may seem like a lot of work but repaint can be quite expensive and wax is cheap.

Last edited by jfelbab; 09-14-07 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-14-07, 11:53 PM
HighSoarer
Driver

Okay so maybe the best bet is to start with something like Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Kit, then move to the Paint Cleaner. Or would I use the ColorX instead before waxing?
Old 09-15-07, 06:24 AM
jfelbab

Okay so maybe the best bet is to start with something like Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Kit, then move to the Paint Cleaner. Or would I use the ColorX instead before waxing?
The Deep Crystal paint cleaner is a dedicated paint cleaner so it would do a better job at removing the oxidation. ColorX is a combo containing paint cleaner and wax. Neither the cleaner nor the wax are the greatest products but this is often "good enough" depending ones level of enthusiasm. The wax in ColorX doesn't last very long, however, and to keep your aging paint in good shape you need a better protectant. That's why I'd apply a glaze and sealant to your paint after cleaning. The glaze will put back some of the oils that have baked out of the paint over the years and NXT Tech Wax, a good sealant that is very easy to apply and remove.

I'd use the glaze and sealant after either paint cleaner you choose and I'd use NXT often to keep the paint sealed to slow down the aging process.
Old 09-16-07, 08:38 PM
HighSoarer
Driver

Okay that sounds good I'll try that. LOL Sadly enough I went in my trunk and noticed a bottle of both the Meguiars Paint Cleaner and the ColorX so I can use either I suppose. I'll see if I can't get the Tech Wax soon though. It only has to last long enough for me to save the $$$ for the paintjob.
Old 10-09-07, 05:42 PM
HighSoarer
Driver

Finally managed to get around to doing the restoration. It turned out great!!! I used Meguiar's Clay Bar Kit, then did the 3 step cleaner, polish, wax. I didn't manage to get the NTX Sealant though. They didn't have it at the store before I went to wax, so when I wash/wax it again (probably in 2 weeks), I'm going to wax it again and put the NTX sealant on it. I'll put pictures up soon as I can. I just took them today.
Old 10-09-07, 05:48 PM
HighSoarer
Driver

Here's a quick picture I took while I was still waxing the front. I'll have a few more as the week progresses if I can get my friend's camera again. Mine was stolen.

Last edited by HighSoarer; 10-09-07 at 08:40 PM.