Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Zaino (Z14) Plastic Magic Cleaner & Polish

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-02, 07:28 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by fever
In fact, I challenge someone to find a better product for this dilemma we all share.
OK, I accept that challenge.

I'll post how the Meg does when I get a chance to work it in.

Glad to hear it worked well for you. I know what I'll need if the Megs doesn't perform to spec!
Old 01-08-02, 08:35 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey ken let me know how it works ok? if its good i might buy some of it.
Old 01-08-02, 09:37 AM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you guys filling is pits and chips in your headlights with a filler? I will try that product if it works well for you guys.
Old 01-08-02, 11:01 AM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

Can I buy some ones left over Z14?
Old 01-08-02, 11:48 AM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by CSHFLW
LOL I will too, send it my way in the mail.
Old 01-08-02, 12:04 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by CSHFLW
All that cabbage wrapped up in 2 cars, plushed out, stereo systems, rims, kits, a name like CSHFLW, and you want to buy someone's left overs?

Just messin with you.
Old 01-08-02, 02:19 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

Dexter you are one funny man, I love to see your posts
Old 01-08-02, 02:31 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok just came back from Square One and low and behold found that place "The Barber Shop" and YES they do sell Zaino but they don't have any Z14 in stock.. Everything else except Z14.. Anyways didn't matter since I ordered it already but for you guys in Ontario that place "The Barber Shop" is pretty cool.. Get your hair cut talk cars all day if you wanted.. They sell alot of signed car memorabilia which is pretty cool too..

Dexter,

LOL.. Thats all I have to say!

Fever,

Thanks for the info on the application of Z14.. I should get my stuff tomorrow..
Old 01-08-02, 04:37 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Default My story

I too had the hazy headlights when I got the car. Got a couple of recommendations from the CL crew but couldn’t find either brand that was mentioned at Pep Boys, Auto Zone, Chief or O’Reilly’s - but did find 2 others that I tried (before the Z-14) Kit and Blue Magic.

Kit’s product is called Scratch Out and they claim it works on plastic and plexiglass (it didn’t) and I also tried the Blue Magic product called Plastic & Plexiglass Cleaner – it did work. The Blue Magic worked pretty well, until I ordered the Zaino Z-14 and found that it worked even better, the best of the 3. I used an electric buffer for the part of the lens that it could cover without hitting the paint too much – then worked the outer edges by hand. A real pain in the *** but it was worth the effort – the lights look like new (I actually polished the rear taillights as well). I’d say the Zaino product is the one to use, but if you have a problem getting the Z-14, the Blue Magic worked too.
Old 01-08-02, 04:59 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

its cool eh? haha i went in and was looking around and saw this zanio and i was like WHAT??? WHAT THE!!!!!!

i think im gonna go there for a hair cut from now on
Old 01-10-02, 04:33 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Has anyone here tried super super fine sandpaper and then buffed out the light with a compound....

I thought I read that somewhere else before....

It sounds like sandpaper would permanently remove any nicks/ scratches.

Do these other products you guys mention actually REMOVE these marks/haze or do they just temporarily hide them?

Help is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-10-02, 06:13 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by GS4fun
Do these other products you guys mention actually REMOVE these marks/haze or do they just temporarily hide them? Help is greatly appreciated.
Probably a little of both I would guess. A 'polish' does just that; typically removes peaks and valleys, either by chemical means or by abrasives, then fills in behind it. Which is fine - same concept on paint - the hairline scratches are always there - your polish and wax just smooth them out and fill them in so light can catch the edges.

I'd be scared to use sandpaper for screwing up the housing, even if using ultrafine grit - no way to undo it if you accidently apply uneven pressure, which is easy to do an a curved surface :eek:

I will execute my trials Sat. I'll use the cleaner, then the polish immediately following.
Old 01-10-02, 07:08 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Dexter

Probably a little of both I would guess. A 'polish' does just that; typically removes peaks and valleys, either by chemical means or by abrasives, then fills in behind it. Which is fine - same concept on paint - the hairline scratches are always there - your polish and wax just smooth them out and fill them in so light can catch the edges.

I'd be scared to use sandpaper for screwing up the housing, even if using ultrafine grit - no way to undo it if you accidently apply uneven pressure, which is easy to do an a curved surface :eek:

I will execute my trials Sat. I'll use the cleaner, then the polish immediately following.
Let us know how it turns out. Take a pic before and after too. That would be cool.
Old 01-12-02, 11:15 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Alright guys - just got done trying out my producsts listed above.

I took some pics, but I used hi-res, (500k+, so can't post here)so I could try to capture the differences in before and after, and the housing is so reflective, its difficult to even tell from the pics; kinda have to see for yourself.

The conclusion:

The Meguiars products worked well. To be quite honest, the 'cleaner' smelled like, and had the same consistency as their 'Body Scrub' product, and their polish seemed like a wax. Makes sense kinda - the cleaner gets out the embedded grime, then the polish fills in the specs afterwards.

Yes, I could tell a difference when done.

I will probably repeat this process every other wash moving forward.

NOTE: What else you'll find is once you do this buffing process, is what is built up dullness from road grime/flecks, and what is residue form condensation that has been in the housing.

I'm pleased - not overwhelmed with the difference, but mine may have not been as bad as some others too.

If yours are really bad, and that is a subjective decision, then I would just drop the coin and get news ones, then take good care of them by cleaning and polishing them whenever you wash your car.

With HIDS, I know havinf the clean lenses makes a big difference - when they are dull, teh HIDS seem cloudy.

HTH.
Old 01-12-02, 03:00 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Still waiting for my Z14 package to arrive.. I just sent an email asking what the delay is but once I get it i'll post my results and hopefully some pics.. I took some before pics today but its really hard to see on the pictures the haziness.. I'll see if I can adjust the brightness and such and post my before pics up later tonight or tomorrow..

Thanks Dex for the info on the Meguiars products.. Did you try using a high speed waxer to apply the Meguiars or did you just apply it by hand??