Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How do you protect your car from a 180-day onslaught of light continous rain?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-07 | 10:51 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How do you protect your car from a 180-day onslaught of light continous rain?

The title kind of says it all.

I just moved to Seattle from sunny CA, and its started to rain out here. And its going to rain, supposedly, for the next 180 days or so. It doesn't rain heavily out here.. it just drizzles.. ALL the time. Its kind of annoying, I wish it would just actually rain.

So how do you guys prep the car for the rain? Also, my paint is just about 30 days old, so I'm ready to do my first coat of wax.

I was planning on clay-barring the car to get any little particles that may have taken refuge in my clear coat, and then just layering up 2-3 layers of wax. Not sure what type I want to use yet, since I left ALL my car supplies at home.. so I have to buy everything new. So the slate is clean.

I'm thinking about going the Zaino route, but has anyone had any experience with different types of wax holding up better than others in rain?

I'll also do the rain-x on the windows, windshield, rear windshield.

Let me also add that now I am living in an apartment, so I don't know if I have the ability to hook up a hose. So this is what I'm thinking:

1) Get the car washed at a TOUCHLESS car wash first.

2) Bring her into the garage, wash the car with Optimum No-rinse wash and microfiber.

3) Claybar with QD

4) 2-3 Layers with wax of choice.. maybe a base coat etc

5) Rainx where applicable.

6)... glaze?? Will it help with the rain at all?

I do have my porter cable with me, and pads, so I can polish as well.. not sure if that is necessary with new paint?

I guess this is kind of a "how do I do my first detail on my car in light of the fact that its going to rain a LOT" thread.

Last edited by Suneet; 09-16-07 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-17-07 | 07:17 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

LOL I lived in the Seattle area for a spell. The saying on the street was "If you can see Mount Ranier it's going to rain, and if you can't see Mount Ranier it's raining.

I would use a sealant rather than a wax as I think you get longer lasting protection. I'd suggest Meguiar's M21 Synthetic Sealant, two coats, 24 hours apart. The weather does have breaks though and it is almost never too cold to apply another coat. I'd be a regular user of Meguiar's new Ultimate Quick Detailer as it really repels water and lasts for a week or more. It also applies easily and doesn't streak in damp weather which should help you keep your car looking good.

Using the Touchless wash is ok but they do use rather harsh detergent so you might want to apply another coat of sealant every so often to keep your car protected. When I do use a touchless wash I apply a coat of UQD right afterward. I pull off to a spot in the lot and start spraying. It only takes about 10-20 minutes to do this.
Old 09-17-07 | 10:16 AM
MShybrid
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may want to consider using Klasse AIO polish and sealant. It really hiolds up good to the elements.
Old 09-17-07 | 01:05 PM
kindred6ul
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO Zaino Z2 with a coat of Meguiars ultimate quick detailer on top is your best choice. I just Zainoed ZFX Z2 and Used UQD on 2 cars GTI and my 2IS and didn't use either on the hood of my 2IS and the trunk area of my friends GTI. It rained later that night. I woke up and noticed water stains and dirt accumilation on the top of the 2IS (where i didn't wax or apply and UQD) and when i went over to my friends garage his whole tail section was filthy w/ dust and picked up road dirt from driving in the rain. The rest of his car was immaculate. Im so happy w/ the results of having Z2 and UQD on my car. Even after it rained and i haven't dusted the car in 2 days the coat still looks like it's newly waxed.