Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

IT REALLY WORKS! quixx high performance scratch remover

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-07, 02:55 AM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got QUIXX POLISH thing, it says it removes minor scratches, is it similar?
Old 10-01-07, 09:17 AM
modi-fied
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is no scratch removers out there that works. All the scratch removers are basic polish or compounds which removes scratches on microscopic level thats barely noticable or just scratches on clear coats. All the scratches in that videos are clear coat scratches that can be removed with compound.
Old 02-07-08, 04:32 PM
Alexus-Kia
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by modi-fied
there is no scratch removers out there that works. All the scratch removers are basic polish or compounds which removes scratches on microscopic level thats barely noticable or just scratches on clear coats. All the scratches in that videos are clear coat scratches that can be removed with compound.
I dunno but my local news showed an actual car it worked on not no photo editing in a video demo!
I saw it work with my own eyes!!
Old 02-07-08, 05:34 PM
DetailMan
Driver

Look at the way they are wet sanding. Are you sure you want to trust them?
Old 02-07-08, 08:12 PM
dopeey
Driver School Candidate

Check out my post from a week ago (Before and Afer Pics)....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=333073

I used this product and all I could say was WOW! You literly need to put your nose up again the door to even tell their was any scratch at all. So with minor scratches I would think this product works even better.
Old 02-08-08, 07:07 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Scratch repair... A word of caution. Removing scratches is a delicate matter. You must remove surrounding paint to the same depth of the scratch.

Your total paint coating is around 4 to 5 mils. (thousands of an inch) thick. That's like the thickness of a piece of paper. Of that thickness, you have an undercoat (E-coat), basecoat and finally a clear coat. Your clear coat is typically 1.5 to 2 mil. on a newer car. Of that you can only safely remove about .3 to .5 mil, depending on manufacturer, before you will have shortened the life of the clear coat. Most of the hardness of the clear coat is in it's topmost film.

So use great care with scratch repair to remove as little paint as possible. Sometimes it is only advisable to minimize the appearance of a scratch. If you get too aggressive you may damage the clear coat and result in premature clear coat failure. When this happens you have no inexpensive options remaining.

Professionals use a paint thickness gauge like this when attempting a deep scratch repair or paint restoration.

PS: Not suggesting that there is anything wrong with this product only that caution with any approach is recommended.

Last edited by jfelbab; 02-08-08 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Add PS
Old 02-08-08, 07:40 AM
DetailMan
Driver

Originally Posted by dopeey
Check out my post from a week ago (Before and Afer Pics)....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=333073

I used this product and all I could say was WOW! You literly need to put your nose up again the door to even tell their was any scratch at all. So with minor scratches I would think this product works even better.
Did you do an alcohol wipe down after?
Old 02-08-08, 07:53 AM
dopeey
Driver School Candidate

No not at all...this is all new to me. I did apply a good wax after and to this day don't see any problems at all.
Old 02-08-08, 11:03 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Scratches and pits are so annoying especially on black cars because they stand out and you end up getting so many of them. You can't really hit most with touch up because there are generally no really good ways to apply touch up and it ends up being too much or too little or strings up and does not look good and then it will trap white polish/wax. Fortunately with black cars you can take a black permanent and temporarly fill them in and hide many but it eventually wears off. I don't know why they can't make a body colored gel/paste/wax that you rub on the scratch/pit/scrape to fill it in and then you wipe the rest off and add somekind of chemical over the spot to make it bond to the car and pretty much cover it up, it would be so much better then clumbsy touch up which I only use as a last resort and am never really happy with the results. Another method would be some kind of gel/wax that will change color once it is applied to something of the same color so it hides all those scratches/scrapes, don't know if we have that technology but it would be much easier. If I fill in paint chips I will cut out or use a hole puncher to cut out a peice of 2000 grit sand paper, then I will superglue it on the end of a pencil eraser or flat back of pen and then try to sand the uneven blob down a little to try to even it out with the paint, then hit it with some polish to get rid of the sand marks but it still does not leave a perfect finish.
Old 03-11-08, 12:13 PM
Beamer
Driver School Candidate

Default Quixx

Hi Rashoodz, did you get the QUIXX product and have you used it? What's the result? what color is the paint on your car? thanks
Old 03-12-08, 02:05 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MoLexus
Do you guys think we can get it from Autozone or Pep Boys?
Negative. They never carry the GREAT stuff. Order it offline.
Old 03-13-08, 05:33 AM
lexdud
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
Negative. They never carry the GREAT stuff. Order it offline.

I stumbled upon this product at my local Advanced Auto Parts store. Look to pay $15 for the kit.
Old 03-13-08, 02:41 PM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have these and have used it. It does not really remove the scratches, it hides it. I have a hairline scratch on by trunk and when I used this stuff, I was impressed at first since the scratch actually disappeared but while I was looking at it and started walking away, I started to see the scratch again. As I inspected it further, when looking at different angles, the scratch is still slightly visible. Looking at it right on top and for those who are just giving it a quick look will definitely won't notice the scratch.

I also tried it on a bigger scratch (not deeper though) and it also worked the same way, hidden when looking at it directly but slightly visible in an angle. I have a black car by the way if that matters or helps it's effectiveness.

It was given as a gift, but the person that gave it to me bought it at a Mercedes Benz dealership and it is what they recommend as well. So even if I paid $20 for it, I say it is worth it to hide those scratches.