Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Putting newly painted parts on older car

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-07, 01:14 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Putting newly painted parts on older car

Guys,

I am in the process of getting some new body pieces painted to go on my car (93). My cars paint is pretty dull overall, and I am afraid that the newly painted parts are going to look out of place on a car that has lost a lot of its shine.

I have been reading a lot of the threads here, but was wondering what I should do to bring the shine back to my car?

I just bought the car so I am not the irresponsible owner who let the paint get that way. I am a waxing/cleaning freak with my car and would never let my car get into that condition.

What would you suggest so I can have my old parts look like my new ones

Thanks,
Jonny
Old 09-26-07, 02:23 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Jon; I see you lurking the SC forums again..WB dude..

Your old paint has old clear coat and your new paint has new clear, so obviously your new paint will have a deeper gloss to it then the old paint..It is nearly impossible to match your new paint to your old before the cure time..
(Theres a 2-3 month cure time for new paint, you should not wax new paint until this time is over..but you can QD (quick detail), polish, and clay it to kept it looking glossy for the time being..)

After this cure time, you'll notice your new paint blend into the old paint to match because the clear has cured...And as time goes by, your new paint will start to match your older paint much of it due to the strong ultraviolet rays of the sun...This is especially true if your have PDW paint since it is very hard to match, you can see it change over several months...

Another alternative is to respray the whole car with new clear...That way it'll match your old paint 95%...
Old 09-26-07, 02:27 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry, I didn't see you mention dullness as one of the symptoms..

Dullness can be cured by claying and polishing, waxing will only do minimal...In fact, 90% of the shine and gloss you see from cars are from claying and polishing..Leaving the other 10% to wax/sealant..Invest in a PC and start buffing the thing..
Old 09-26-07, 03:44 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by One HoT

Dullness can be cured by claying and polishing, waxing will only do minimal...In fact, 90% of the shine and gloss you see from cars are from claying and polishing..Leaving the other 10% to wax/sealant..Invest in a PC and start buffing the thing..
Sometimes may not work. My gf is in the same boat with a 93 and the previous owners were slobs and did not take care. I got a PC after learning from watching you lol and on some of the panels it is dull and only gets a little less dull. The other panels were dull and got shiny so I think the other ones are missing something.

P.S. my car still looks good lol.
Old 09-26-07, 04:12 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by One HoT

PC ??

I'm back baby!! Just trying to get this thing in better shape before I post any pictures!

Jonny
Old 09-26-07, 06:20 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dx3
PC ??

I'm back baby!! Just trying to get this thing in better shape before I post any pictures!

Jonny
PC = Porter Cable Polish/Buffer. You can purchase it online at www.autopia-carcare.com or other websites which offer a better deal.
Old 09-26-07, 08:19 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PaPaHoFF
Sometimes may not work. My gf is in the same boat with a 93 and the previous owners were slobs and did not take care. I got a PC after learning from watching you lol and on some of the panels it is dull and only gets a little less dull. The other panels were dull and got shiny so I think the other ones are missing something.

P.S. my car still looks good lol.
Hey Andrew; You did bring up a good point..I noticed a lot of cars that have improper body work done to it has this dullness problem..Mainly due to not having properly wet-sanding the paint after respraying...I think you gf might have this very same problem...OEM paint is mostly flawless and can stay that way for many years with proper care..Improper repaint/bodywork can definitely do more harm than good..

PS..I'm glad I can be of assistance, I'm sure its in excellent hands! Keep on practicing, looks like your getting the hang of it..

Jon; I think it might help some to post some pics up of your new SC and see what exactly the problem is...As it can be any number of things...

Oh yea, PC is short of Porter Cable like Andrew stated above..Do a google search, its one of the most popular detailing tools out there..
Old 09-26-07, 08:49 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

This is what I mean by dullness which leads me to believe it was a crap job fix.
Back door and trunk are dull as the drivers door is shiny.

Hood was severely oxidized and dull but you could tell it was original(before and after shot)

For Dennis

Havent polished since. Ill do it right before winter comes. Just weekly washes / clays and monthly waxes.
Old 09-26-07, 09:55 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Your right Andrew, it very heavily oxidized...It can't be fixed because the clear is already lifted off the base...But look at the bright side, you can buy a rotary and start practicing with it on this car... Don't tell your gf I told you so...JK

Looks like 8 hours of prepping paid off...The roof looks amazing compared to what it was before... Glad your happy!
Old 09-27-07, 01:02 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Porter Cable or do I want the Sonus Ultimate Detailing Machine?
Old 09-27-07, 05:16 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Up to you. Most people here use PC