Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Paint care :how to's, etc

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-07, 09:08 PM
YupImJOee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint care :how to's, etc

I have no clue what to do with paint jobs and whatnot. I just got a Gs300 a few weeks ago and got it repainted. I've read on here that your not suppose to wax your car until about 2-3 months, my problem is birds, bees, and other little things that crap on my car. is there anything i can put on the car for now to keep the shine up and to sort of protect it?

also i've read that I could polish using a PC, but i've heard horror stories about people cutting in too deep into the paint, any way to avoid this? I also have what looks to be like paint drippage, or when the painter was spraying he held the gun to close , can this be sanded out or polished out?

I will get pictures up tomorrow of stuff i need to get rid of. I would just pay a detailer to do it, but i'd rather learn myself.
Old 09-26-07, 09:46 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Joe;

You might want to read the FAQ posted on top of this section of the forum before anything..It is very informative, Guitarman really knows his stuff here..

Heres a link for you...https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131273

is there anything i can put on the car for now to keep the shine up and to sort of protect it?[/
You can treat your newly fresh paint and keep it looking and clean glossy with products that you'll need to get yourself familiarized with; Quick Detailer Clay Bar and Glaze...You can purchase these products at any auto parts store..I would recommend you to buy a quality product like Meguiar's whom carry a variety of QD, Clay, and Glaze available OTC...All of which have the ability to leave your paint slick and free of foreign contaminants...

You can use QD to wipe off any bird poop to prevent etching..Bird leftovers are very acidic and can burn into your clear in seconds....Otherwise QD can be used after washes or when dusty...

also i've read that I could polish using a PC, but i've heard horror stories about people cutting in too deep into the paint, any way to avoid this? I also have what looks to be like paint drippage, or when the painter was spraying he held the gun to close , can this be sanded out or polished out?
It is very hard to burn into paint with a DA (dual action) or you can call it "orbital" buffer because it spins 2 centripetal directions opposed to a rotary-type buffer which spins only in 1..Because it spins in more than one circular direction, DA buffers like a Porter Cable, are able to concentrate their heat to into a more dispersed pattern, leaving less heat to the section you are working on...Unlike the DA buffer, a rotary eg. Makita 9227C, spins in only one circular direction..This limited circular motion concentrates its heat into a much smaller area, increasing it's risk to "burn" into the paint...

Overspray will need to be sanded or aggressively clayed...If you paid to get your paint work done, your body shop is very much responsible for overspray...This is just proper body work...

Good luck, I hope this helped..
Old 09-26-07, 10:18 PM
MShybrid
Pole Position

Joe
This is a link to the Meguiars site which you may find very helpful.
http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/thread/31399.aspx
Old 09-26-07, 10:40 PM
YupImJOee
Lexus Test Driver

thanks for the info. meguiars and mothers are the only products i've used on all of my previous cars. the overspray there really isnt that much, and for an earl shieb paint job i was suprised about how much overspray there was.
Old 09-27-07, 03:01 AM
MShybrid
Pole Position

Most oversprays can easily be removed with a good grade claybay. Just remember to use plenty of lubrication.
My second method of choice would be using a good polish (such as Menzerna altho several others will work) and the PC. If the PC is not avaliable you could try it by hand.
Sanding would be my last option. Many times the sanding scratches can be harder to remove than the overspray itself.
Old 09-27-07, 04:05 PM
YupImJOee
Lexus Test Driver

here is what i'm trying to get rid of:

dont mind the dust in the pics, i was cutting wood.

i just polished my fender and driver side door by hand, and i noticed that there is orange peel all over. I've read that you could lightly wetsand it out. Can anyone point me to a "how to" or something? what grit, etc. The paint was had an intergrated clear coat in it and the paint hasnt fully cured yet, its only been a month since i got it painted.

Last edited by YupImJOee; 09-27-07 at 04:06 PM. Reason: added
Old 09-27-07, 06:30 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

OMG, I'd take it back and make them paint it properly. You could have done that kind of job in your garage with a paint roller. That paint job is about the worst I've seen. This was done by a professional???
Old 09-27-07, 06:55 PM
YupImJOee
Lexus Test Driver

nope it was done by earl shieb for 480. its just a temp job until i gather money for a good paint job.

heres a thread i made about a month ago when i first got it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=302598
Old 09-27-07, 07:56 PM
MShybrid
Pole Position

That is way beyond the claybars effectiveness. It will take some serious sanding to remove those errors.
It looks like there may have been some moisture in the air by the looks of things.
Old 09-27-07, 08:30 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by YupImJOee
nope it was done by earl shieb for 480. its just a temp job until i gather money for a good paint job.

heres a thread i made about a month ago when i first got it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=302598
Did you take it back and see what they will do about it? Even ES should have done a better job. Did it not come with any quality warranty?
Old 09-27-07, 08:33 PM
YupImJOee
Lexus Test Driver

comees with 6 year warranty, i'll eventually take it back because the trunk is mismatched. i'll give them a call soon when i have time, with school and work i need a car to drive for the time being.
Old 09-27-07, 10:44 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're going to take it back, which I think you should, don't touch it with anything other than car wash/shampoo. Usually, you can wash & wax freshly painted cars, but not polish or sealant. I'm not 100% sure about this, but it sounds right.
Old 09-28-07, 07:13 AM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by tod071
If you're going to take it back, which I think you should, don't touch it with anything other than car wash/shampoo. Usually, you can wash & wax freshly painted cars, but not polish or sealant. I'm not 100% sure about this, but it sounds right.
While I'd also take it back without doing anything to it, I do want to correct your comment about waxing freshly painted cars. You can wash and even polish fresh paint but you can't wax or apply a sealant to the paint for around 3 months. The paint needs to breathe during this time as it cures. This time frame is not needed on new cars as their paint is fully cured in a heat booth.

One product that I often recommend using during this period is Meguiar's #80 Speed Glaze. This leaves a slight polymer protection but it does allow the paint to cure and outgas. This product is available at some local paint and equipment shops or direct form Meguiars.com, and other online sources. This is one of my favorite polishes anyway so you will find good use for it for years.

Last edited by jfelbab; 09-28-07 at 07:16 AM.
Old 09-28-07, 11:27 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jfelbab
While I'd also take it back without doing anything to it, I do want to correct your comment about waxing freshly painted cars. You can wash and even polish fresh paint but you can't wax or apply a sealant to the paint for around 3 months. The paint needs to breathe during this time as it cures. This time frame is not needed on new cars as their paint is fully cured in a heat booth.

One product that I often recommend using during this period is Meguiar's #80 Speed Glaze. This leaves a slight polymer protection but it does allow the paint to cure and outgas. This product is available at some local paint and equipment shops or direct form Meguiars.com, and other online sources. This is one of my favorite polishes anyway so you will find good use for it for years.
Thanks for the correction. Always learning something new here. So, does that mean you can use any glaze? RMG? CG EZ Creme Glaze?
Old 09-28-07, 12:04 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by tod071
Thanks for the correction. Always learning something new here. So, does that mean you can use any glaze? RMG? CG EZ Creme Glaze?
Not all glazes are ok. In the case of RMG and CG EZ Cream they contain an acrylic polymer so I'd pass on those. I would use any Meguiar's glaze $5, #7 or #81 for example.