Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Terry Towels used on black ES330

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-07, 09:49 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Terry Towels used on black ES330

My cousin and I were washing the black Lexus this afternoon. We sprayed down the car and soaped it together until I had to take a phone call inside the house. When I returned outside I saw those white cotton towels lying on top of the car and on the floor...he did a very fast job of drying the car, the ENTIRE car was dry. And now the ENTIRE car is covered in swirl marks. Thankfully they are only visible up close and they do not appear in the pictures I took with my camera.

Will a porter cable remove the marks? And since we're discussing about use of a porter cable, will they also remove the tree sap and carcasses of bugs stuck to the car? I wasn't able to scrub those nuisances off during the car wash (according to my uncle they've been there since he got the car [1/2007] and since then it has accumulated :eek: ). I still haven't gotten the precious, powerful machine yet...and my waterspot-infested 330Ci still needs service from it!

Thanks for all your help. I also included a picture of the wash we did today.

Old 10-01-07, 09:32 AM
modi-fied
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

use some rubbing compound with porter cable, that should take out the swirl marks or any small scratches on clear coat. For the bugs, go to pepboys or autozone and pick up a bug remover.
Old 10-01-07, 11:19 AM
bsims_01
Rookie

Before you buy or use any type of rubbing compound on the car (by hand or w/ Porter Cable), I highly recommend you spend some time at:

www.autopia.org

There is a wealth of information on proper products and techniques to address your swirl marks.
Old 10-01-07, 03:59 PM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats why I don't trust anyone but myself to touch my car haha. Anyways, from the sounds of it, seems like the swirls are only very very shallow, so perhaps Meguiar's Scratch-X will take them out.
Old 10-04-07, 10:01 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by greyBLITZ
Thats why I don't trust anyone but myself to touch my car haha. Anyways, from the sounds of it, seems like the swirls are only very very shallow, so perhaps Meguiar's Scratch-X will take them out.
If you do use scratchX and its hard to see the swirls a bit. Wear some polarized sunglasses and you'll see the differences. I did that to my friends white Avalon
Old 10-04-07, 10:32 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First things first: Microfiber is your best friend!

I would suggest hitting the car with Menzerna Intensive Polish with a Porter Cable 7424. It should pull all the swirl marks out. If the scratches are more intense, you may need to go with Menzerna Power Gloss. It is an amazing liquid compound that works wonders. Folish up with your favorite protectant. I use Klasse AIO.
Old 10-05-07, 07:18 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Whatever you do don't try to remove bugs with your PC. This will cause horrible scratches. I'd suggest a clay bar first and then polish with a mild polish like Meguiar's #80 with your PC. Never scrub harder with a wash sponge or mitt as this will cause marring. Always remove stubborn bonded dirt with clay.
Old 10-05-07, 08:56 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by shern
First things first: Microfiber is your best friend!

I would suggest hitting the car with Menzerna Intensive Polish with a Porter Cable 7424. It should pull all the swirl marks out. If the scratches are more intense, you may need to go with Menzerna Power Gloss. It is an amazing liquid compound that works wonders. Folish up with your favorite protectant. I use Klasse AIO.
+1, I totally agree.