Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Plan to semi detail my car and I have questions on some products.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-07, 03:01 AM
RVN
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plan to semi detail my car and I have questions on some products.

Well, I am going to give my 1 month old 07 GFM IS250 an exterior detail for the first time due to some stubborn bird poo or some sort . But I have some questions. So, my planned routine is wash, clay, wash then some sort of wax.

1- While clay baring the car, do I have to dry it everytime with my MF towel if I am going to wash it again anyways? Can I just leave it wet from the QD as I do the whole car?

So, the part that I am most confused about and still trying to understand the jargon from the reading in this forum is the final process .. wax.

I was thinking between zaino or NXT. (I know here we go again sorry).

2- If NXT is a sealant, do I need anything in between the second wash after the clay bar before applying the NXT?
3- Also, I can't seem to find if NXT leaves residue or stain the trim.
4- Because NXT may have durability issues to some, could I use some sort of protection spray like clearseal or zaino Z-8 to give it more protection?

5- If I use Zaino instead could I only use the Z-2 Pro after my second wash and not use Z-1 and ZFX as well? I figure if I could use Z-2 pro only then that eliminates the price because it would be the same price as NXT.
6- I am trying to figure out the difference between Z-6 spray and Z-8 spray. Seems like Z-8 gives more shine and better protection for 10 bucks more?

I am looking for something that I can apply in a timely manner with probably only one coat and would give good results in bringing out the pearl/flakes in my paint. And if there is such thing as fool proof/easy wax wouldn't hurt since I am a noob at this. Thanks
Old 10-09-07, 04:40 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if u have metallic paint, i always love how it looks with nxt
Old 10-09-07, 05:44 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You must use Z1/ZFX with the FIRST application of Z2 Pro. You could also apply a coat of Z-AIO (All in One) first, then apply the Z2 Pro without the Z1/ZFX.

After the car is washed you may begin claying without drying.

After claying it would be a good idea to use a paint cleaner (Z-AIO) before applying your sealant or wax.

Z6 is a quick detailer much like Meg's quick detailer. Z8 is not meant to be a quick detailer and is more of a spray sealant. It will enhance the gloss and depth greatly.

If you're looking for something quick and simple then Zaino Clear Seal would be fine for continued use but you would need to spend considerable time on surface prep, ie; clay, buff, polish, clean, glaze, and finally, Clear Seal.

To be honest there is no single magic product that will do everything. If you want peoples' jaw to drop when they see your car it's going to take a lot of work. A lot of dedication. A lot of passion. A lot of blood, sweat and tears.
Old 10-09-07, 08:22 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by R_V_N
Well, I am going to give my 1 month old 07 GFM IS250 an exterior detail for the first time due to some stubborn bird poo or some sort . But I have some questions. So, my planned routine is wash, clay, wash then some sort of wax.

1- While clay baring the car, do I have to dry it everytime with my MF towel if I am going to wash it again anyways? Can I just leave it wet from the QD as I do the whole car?
You can do it either way but for me, I find it easier to wipe down the area just clayed to inspect it. That way I know there is no residue remaining and possibly hardening while it dries.

So, the part that I am most confused about and still trying to understand the jargon from the reading in this forum is the final process .. wax.

I was thinking between zaino or NXT. (I know here we go again sorry).

2- If NXT is a sealant, do I need anything in between the second wash after the clay bar before applying the NXT?
No you don't, but many people take this opportunity to polish out any swirls and/or apply a glaze for that truely dripping wet look only a glaze can give.

3- Also, I can't seem to find if NXT leaves residue or stain the trim.
NXT has never stained trim on any car I've used it on.

4- Because NXT may have durability issues to some, could I use some sort of protection spray like clearseal or zaino Z-8 to give it more protection?
I'm not one that has any issue with the protection of NXT. I easily get 90 days of protection from NXT. Yet, if you are looking for a gloss enhancer you could use Meg's Ultimate Quik Detailer. This product enhances slickness which makes the car almost self cleaning. It clearly is a bonus if you drive where bugs are an issue. You could also use NXT Spray Booster Wax which works but is difficult to use until you develop the right technique for ultra thin application.

5- If I use Zaino instead could I only use the Z-2 Pro after my second wash and not use Z-1 and ZFX as well? I figure if I could use Z-2 pro only then that eliminates the price because it would be the same price as NXT.
According to Sal, the use if ZFX or Z1 is critical. See their FAQ on the Zaino website.

6- I am trying to figure out the difference between Z-6 spray and Z-8 spray. Seems like Z-8 gives more shine and better protection for 10 bucks more?
Yup!

I am looking for something that I can apply in a timely manner with probably only one coat and would give good results in bringing out the pearl/flakes in my paint. And if there is such thing as fool proof/easy wax wouldn't hurt since I am a noob at this. Thanks
Either sealant will give you what you are looking for as far as appearance goes. I'd suggest two coats of either product 24 hours apart for the best appearance and durability.
Old 10-09-07, 02:50 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I used NXT and UQD.....
Old 10-10-07, 03:16 AM
RVN
Rookie

Originally Posted by kickin8
I used NXT and UQD.....

Do you use the UQD after putting on the NXT? If so, how long do you wait for the NXT to do its thing before spraying on some QD?
Old 10-10-07, 03:26 AM
RVN
Rookie

Thanks for all the responses.

Because my car is still new, is it weird for me to not want to use any polish of some sort? I am really try to shy away from any polish because according to the thread with definitions and terms on detailing, polish have abrasives. I fear these abrasives whether fine or not may cause minor scratches or swirls since I am just a beginner.

For the Zaino products, I believe I read that Zaino AIO is a cleaner. Does that have abrasives? Also, the Z-2 is labeled as a polish for clear coat cars? Doesn't that mean there are abrasives in it?

Anyone know what's the difference between the NXT and meg Gold Class liquid wax?

jfelbab: What glaze do you use? And how long after applying the glaze do you apply the NXT?

Oh and the car is parked outdoors most of the time. Does that make a difference in the products I should use?

Thanks again
RVN
Old 10-10-07, 05:44 AM
PPolisher
Driver School Candidate

Do you use the UQD after putting on the NXT? If so, how long do you wait for the NXT to do its thing before spraying on some QD?
I called Meg's customer service on this exact question and the response was after applying and removal of the sealant it is OK to UQD right away as there is no need to wait. No issues and it did work.
Old 10-10-07, 07:22 AM
jfelbab

Thanks for all the responses.

Because my car is still new, is it weird for me to not want to use any polish of some sort? I am really try to shy away from any polish because according to the thread with definitions and terms on detailing, polish have abrasives. I fear these abrasives whether fine or not may cause minor scratches or swirls since I am just a beginner.

For the Zaino products, I believe I read that Zaino AIO is a cleaner. Does that have abrasives? Also, the Z-2 is labeled as a polish for clear coat cars? Doesn't that mean there are abrasives in it?

Anyone know what's the difference between the NXT and meg Gold Class liquid wax?

jfelbab: What glaze do you use? And how long after applying the glaze do you apply the NXT?

Oh and the car is parked outdoors most of the time. Does that make a difference in the products I should use?

Thanks again
RVN
Not all polishes contain abrasives. There is a class of polishes, often called glazes, which don't contain any abrasives. Products like Meguiar's #80 is a mild abrasive polish that breaks down very quickly. Others like #81 (Professional Hand Polish) or #7 Show Car Glaze contain no abrasives at all. Another, Deep Crystal Polish is non-abrasive as well. The group that contains no abrasives are purely beauty products that give your car a very wet look.

For the most part I use #81 or #7. Glazes are a wipe on, wipe off product that you apply then remove before it dries. You would apply your wax or sealant immediately after the glaze.

When I enter my 1991 MR2 in shows, I apply a glaze right before the event over the sealant. Since it has no abrasives, it won't remove the sealant but it makes the car look like the paint is still wet. Not being sealed, the glaze evaporates in a couple of days though. That's why you typically apply the sealant over the glaze to stop it from evaporating, sealing in the wet look.

Here is the fender of my 17 year old MR2 after a glaze and 2 coats of NXT. This is the wetlook I'm after when I show the car.

A car that lives outdoors 24/7 needs twice the attention of one that is garaged in order to keep it looking good and to protect the paint. The elements, sun, pollution, acid rain, pollen, sap, road grime, dust, etc. will dull any wax or sealant, and if unprotected will attack the paint. I'd probably re-wax monthly. NXT goes on and off very easily so this should only add maybe 30-40 minutes after a wash to refresh the wax. I'd also keep testing the surface for bonded contaminants regularly. After washing and drying the car, draw your dry fingers lightly over the hood and if it doesn't feel as smooth as glass, you should clay and re-wax.

Using UQD after every wash will also help keep the contaminants from sticking and has the side benefit of making your car much easier to clean.

Gold Class is a blended wax that gives a very deep shine, especially on dark colors, while NXT is 100% synthetic and is more glossy, reflective and wet looking. NXT is Meguiar's best protecting, and best selling, wax (sealant) product. Both products should last a couple months on a vehicle outdoors 24/7 depending on how harsh the environment is where you live. Both apply and remove very easily with little to no dusting.
Old 10-11-07, 09:21 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

my car always garaged..

I did the NXT back in may......did UQD couple weeks ago......

water flies away when it rains!
Old 10-12-07, 04:39 AM
RVN
Rookie

That is looking very nice for a 17 year old.

Originally Posted by jfelbab

I just realized that I was given a kit with the Meguiars Gold Class liquid wax as a gift. I'm trying to debate if I should use that for now or buy some other products. I like the wet look. Would the Gold Class not be enough for pearl white?

Also, how do I know when I can put on another layer? According, to PPolisher we could put the QD after but does that apply to another layer of wax also?

Thank you all
Old 10-12-07, 07:16 AM
jfelbab

...I just realized that I was given a kit with the Meguiars Gold Class liquid wax as a gift. I'm trying to debate if I should use that for now or buy some other products. I like the wet look. Would the Gold Class not be enough for pearl white?

Also, how do I know when I can put on another layer? According, to PPolisher we could put the QD after but does that apply to another layer of wax also?

Thank you all
Gold Class is a long time favorite for dark colors, IMO. It is not as reflective as NXT but has a deep wet look non-the-less. Shake it very well before use as it is a combination polish/wax product. It is easy on and off and I'd apply two coats for best durability. This product has abrasive polish in it so you can't layer it but two applications will give a more even, uniform coat. It's not my choice for a light color or a like new finish as it contains polish.

With synthetic sealants, like NXT or Meg's #21, you would wait 12-24 hours between coats to give the product time to fully cure. A sealant doesn't completely set-up when it hazes over and needs the extra time to fully cure. Nothing should be put on them and they should be kept dry and out of the rain for this 12-24 hours, if possible, as moisture in this phase could compromise the products durability. If you use a sealant you will notice that when you finish buffing off the sealant it looks pretty good but after the 12-24 hours has passed, and it has fully cured, their reflectivity is greatly increased. In other words the paint looks much shinier the next day.

For my money, on lighter colored cars I would choose a sealant. Lighter colors don't show the highly reflective look like a black finish does. To make the paint stand out you need to use the most reflective product you can get. I'd use Meg's NXT or #21 for this color. But since you already have Gold Class why not give it a shot and post some pictures.
Old 10-12-07, 08:30 PM
RVN
Rookie

Hmmm .... I guess for now i'm going to avoid the Gold Class as I would like to avoid abrasives all together.

I'll probably just go with NXT for now since it's so easy to obtain than Zaino right now. What's the difference with NXT and meguiar #21? According to autopia some say it's in the chemicals and M21 may last a little longer? What about appearance wise?
After applying the NXT and taking it off, instead of hitting it with the QD, can I use Zaino Z8 if that'll make a difference in appearance and protection?

Thanks
Old 10-12-07, 08:47 PM
jfelbab

Hmmm .... I guess for now i'm going to avoid the Gold Class as I would like to avoid abrasives all together.

I'll probably just go with NXT for now since it's so easy to obtain than Zaino right now. What's the difference with NXT and meguiar #21? According to autopia some say it's in the chemicals and M21 may last a little longer? What about appearance wise?
After applying the NXT and taking it off, instead of hitting it with the QD, can I use Zaino Z8 if that'll make a difference in appearance and protection?

Thanks
NXT and #21 are quite similar in appearance. I'd give the reflection edge to NXT but only very slightly. The ability to hold on to the good looks over time goes to #21. The very reflective shine lasts longer. According to the manufacturer, NXT is their best protecting wax. Best protecting doesn't mean the longest lasting but only that it offers the best protection to things like bird droppings, acid rain, etc.

I use both. I use NXT on my garage queen and I use #21 on my daily driver. Both of these sealants work well with glazes.

The use Z8 or UQD will keep the paint looking freshly detailed longer and make it easier to clean as the added slickness will make the dirt easier to wash off. I use UQD after every wash. It only takes about 15-20 minutes to use either product.

Last edited by jfelbab; 10-12-07 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-12-07, 09:53 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard alot of good things about #21 as well. Have yet to try it, but will soon. I haven't heard much good things about longevity of NXT, but haven't tried it so I can't really comment.

On your GFM, being a light color and not easy to bring depth out of, I'd recommend Pinnacle SSII or Liquid Souveran as a carnauba. Chemical Guys Jetseal109 would be my go to sealant.

If OTC products are what you're looking for, Duragloss gives a good alternative to Zaino. I'd definitely choose Duragloss over NXT products. I love their Aquawax, very nice gloss, close to Z8 and a lot cheaper.

Quick Reply: Plan to semi detail my car and I have questions on some products.