Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Swirl Mark Removal- Lexus Dealer or Local Shop

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-02, 05:27 PM
gs3_4me
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ron 430 --- I just got one of those Absorbers and it dries the car up in no time. However, I have found it helps to have an extra Fieldcrest towel lying around to dry up any little droplets that I seem to have missed.
Old 01-14-02, 05:38 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

gs3_4me - Yeah, like I said, it is more like a chamois but it is really strange. You need a good protectant already on the car so the water really wants to roll off. I am surprised how good a job it does and at least so far it doesn't seem to scratch any worse than anything else for drying. It is pretty quick. And it does come clean in the washing machine which is usually pretty hard on natural chamois. Really need something around to get the dribbles or to dry the hard to reach areas. I have a wet cotton towel (wrung out as much as possible) and the Absorber for drying, so far so good.
Old 01-14-02, 09:18 PM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to try Z5 buy Zainos. That works well on swirls IMO.
Old 01-15-02, 04:16 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Guitarman
Black is beautiful when it's clean. Here's my 1989 T Bird Supercoupe, I painted and buffed out myself. It will stay in the family even after we get our GS400 in the next few months.
Nice SC... by the way, you got the SC too shiny cause I can see you hiding in the bushes to take the pic!
I have been using the Absorber for years, and it seems to work well. Again, thanks for the info!
Eric
Old 01-15-02, 06:11 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll throw my bits in here too.

I just purchased some products from carecareonline.com

http://www.carcareonline.com/index.html

Great company BTW; they refunded my shipping costs when UPS couldn't do deliveries due to snow, and they always seem to provide honest and clear answers.

3M Imperial Handglaze
3M Swirl Mark Remover (Dark Car Specific)
1Grand Blitz Wax

These come highly recommended, both from others that have used the products, and, by the owner of CCO, Larry Reynolds.

I was a previous Zaino user, but wasn't satisfied - not a wet enough finish for my blue.

HTH
Old 01-15-02, 10:22 AM
gs3_4me
Intermediate

yeah, those guys are great at carcareonline.com and the autopia forums -- so much information and nice people who all want to keep their rides looking great!
Old 01-15-02, 10:40 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Dexter
I'll throw my bits in here too.
I just purchased some products from carecareonline.com

http://www.carcareonline.com/index.html
Thanks Dexter, I keep forgetting about those folks... they have lots of great info there!
Old 01-15-02, 10:46 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Sure guys.

Their customer service is great too. Sincethey have so many products, I email Larry about what to use, and gave him my parameters

Lexus
dark blue
daily driver
what I had been using
visual charateristics I was looking for
durability charateristics I was looking for
and a couple of options for products I had pulled off their site

Larry had a return email to me in a few hours with his recommendations - very cool

I know, Zaino has great cusotmer service too, but I just wasn't happy with the end results...

Yeah, their articles are a great resource in and of themself!
Old 01-16-02, 08:44 AM
duster
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Dexter,

What are you using to get the Zaino off?

I've been tempted to try Zaino, but I've heard it is difficult to remove if you want to go back to wax.

BTW, I agree Larry is great. Was I ever glad I spoke to him a few years back. He really educated me and set me up with the right stuff. If you are like me you will enjoy putting the 1 grand on with your fingers over your well cleaned and polished paint.

I think you will like the 1 Grand and I am looking forward to how you think it compares to the Zaino.
Old 01-16-02, 09:23 AM
qwalls
Rookie

I read on another forum that rubbing alcohol would remove Zaino, but I haven't tried it personally. One Grand is my favorite conventional wax, but I prefer Zaino for longevity and shine.
Old 01-16-02, 10:10 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by duster
What are you using to get the Zaino off?
When I'm ready to start a polish and wash combination from scratch, I'll wash the car with dishwashing soap in a heavy concentration. Zaino actually recommends this before you apply their products, and makes sense for any initial application of finish treatments.

I had to use some last week since I didn't have any car wash soap with me (Meguiars Gold), but wasn't a big deal since I planned on doing the application this weekend.

If you are like me you will enjoy putting the 1 grand on with your fingers over your well cleaned and polished paint.

I think you will like the 1 Grand and I am looking forward to how you think it compares to the Zaino.
Yeah, this might be interesting - not sure if I'll use my fingers all the time - I'm contemplating getting one of those space heaters that hooks up to a propane tank to get the garage nice and toasty to ease with the application and removal.

I haven't used wax out of a can since I helped my old man wax our old Buick Skylark with Turtle Wax way back in the day, though I'm sure this wax will have a much more manageable consistency

I'll definitely write up a report.
Old 04-20-02, 04:22 PM
duster
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Dex...Try the WAX??

Dex,

Did you ever end up trying the wax?

If so....what did you think?
Old 04-20-02, 04:33 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Dex...Try the WAX??

Did you ever end up trying the wax?
If so....what did you think?
I really like the Blitz 1K Wax. Read here for some more good comments.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=43686
Old 04-21-02, 12:38 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Guitarman, thanks a LOT for that information. As a habitual black car owner, knowing that kind of info helps! I have some bad swirls in my car from the dealership having it "detailed" but now, I can finally get rid of them for good!
Old 04-21-02, 04:07 PM
Guitarman

Default You're very welcome

I'm glad to help anybody acheive shiny-car-ness.

Quick Reply: Swirl Mark Removal- Lexus Dealer or Local Shop