Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Drought Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-07, 11:15 AM
PPolisher
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drought Issue

Background - I am a pro detailer - this is my lively hood - write up

For the last 6 weeks I have been conducting a couple of tests using my car – Betsy – as the testee

She has not been in the garage for this amount of time and has not been rinsed or washed either

Lots of dirt, dust, grime and other air borne nasties along with the dreaded oak tree sap bomblets

Dull, icky and sticky finish

Observing what had/has been happening with the water issue and guessing that it will be at least a year before we are able to wash our cars outside or inside using the hose again I had a dilemma – adapt and overcome the issue or go Out of business and back into the world of cubicles, fake wood business tables, meaningless meetings, blah, blah, blah

Plan of action was to research an alternative method to wash cars safely, economically, environmentally & most important – LEGALLY

The ONR arrived Friday and today I did the test inside the garage to see what this ONR is and how did the Meg’s #21 sealant that I use hold up to the elements and this washing product

I just finished washing Betsy using this new product for me called Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine [ONR.]

I used 4 gallons of water purchased from Target and this product performed for me.

My expectations were medium – probably will clean the surface but I will instill micro swirls to the surface or worse

Expectations and reality were as different as night and day

I know every spec on the car and after finishing I whipped out that fancy light that shows me the surface and all paint issues – no micro swirls – no new issues - so cool

Wow, this stuff did the job and then some working on the brake dust

The best part is I do not have to worry about [going out of business or to jail] washing cars even when they stop the commercial wash’s and mobile washers

I will now use this product along with purchased water [keeping the receipt in my pocket]

Purchased water is filtered and I believe filtered water keeps water spots away – memory is fuzzy

I am guessing they will close down all washes, landscapers, cement companies and other commercial and industrial water users November 1 or December 1

So how and where do we go to get the word out that I can provide a legal and environmentally safe way to keep cars clean

All and any marketing ideas are welcome.

Have a great day

Al

Thanks to Scottwax, Anthony O and his video’s, Totoland, WolfStrong, TOGWT and others for your tips and links
Old 10-23-07, 11:39 AM
IS250SoCal
Lead Lap

Glad to hear that you have found an alternative method...

GA has had some issues with water restriction and Cali is almost there. I'm taking the plunge and gettin ONR.

Comments to come.......
Old 10-24-07, 03:36 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

car washes generally use well water in NY... do car washes use the same source there? and if they do, are they still held under the same restrictions?
Old 10-24-07, 05:03 PM
DHRP
Lead Lap

I used ONR when we were under water restriction. It did exceed my expectations. It is also great in a bottle as a lubricant while claying or as a quick detail spray.

IIRC famed detailer Scottwax uses ONR on his client's cars.
Old 10-24-07, 08:25 PM
PPolisher
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by excluesive
car washes generally use well water in NY... do car washes use the same source there? and if they do, are they still held under the same restrictions?
I do not know if the washes have well water or not.

All well water homeowners and businesses are requested at this point to volunteer and restrict themselves as we all use the same aquifer. If they refuse to volunteer somebody [state, county or city] will be stopping by to have a “chat”. I have no idea what they mean by a “chat” but it just does not sound friendly.

On an upbeat the well diggers are booked solid for the next couple of months. The well digging company owner on TV last night was all smiles.

Al
Old 10-24-07, 09:15 PM
toyemp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you will find that once you get more comfortable using ONR, you will need less than 4 gallons of water per car. I use ONR every weekend and manage to use only 1 gallon of water to wash both of my cars, including wheels. I wash the body of both cars first and then all the wheels last to prevent getting brake dust contamination on the paint of either car.

I've been using ONR for over a year now and before that, QEW, with no issues. I only use a conventional wash every 1-2 months just to get into the cracks and crevices that would be missed by an ONR wash.
Old 10-24-07, 09:43 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a huge thread on Optimum no Rinse...with a lot of good reviews (including mine). I have been able to wash my cars every week for more than a year, and I've only used half the bottle! And not to mention how much water i save and less $$ spent on water. The 2 gallons of water i use goes straight to the lawn. Every two months, I wash the car regularly (rinsing) to clean the engine and get the underbody clean.
Old 10-26-07, 10:12 PM
PPolisher
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tuan92129
There is a huge thread on Optimum no Rinse...with a lot of good reviews (including mine). I have been able to wash my cars every week for more than a year, and I've only used half the bottle! And not to mention how much water i save and less $$ spent on water. The 2 gallons of water i use goes straight to the lawn. Every two months, I wash the car regularly (rinsing) to clean the engine and get the underbody clean.

Update:
Everybody please accept my sincere Thank You! for your ideas and comments.

I have joined the forum mentioned and found many others who I have seen from other forums I visit.

I have contacted and been contacted by old/new friends that understanding marketing much better that me and between us all we are formulating a new business plan. I feel so lucky being able to request help and then receiving valid and outstanding ideas along with their requests to help me any way they can.

Club Lexus Forums….

Al
Old 10-27-07, 07:14 AM
vince1128
Lexus Test Driver

Im only in highschool and the only two ways I make money are detailing cars and mowing lawns. and we are moving to the hardest restrictions next week. This is killing me just like it is you, but thanks for the great ideas
Old 10-28-07, 10:58 AM
PPolisher
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vince1128
Im only in highschool and the only two ways I make money are detailing cars and mowing lawns. and we are moving to the hardest restrictions next week. This is killing me just like it is you, but thanks for the great ideas
Hi Vince1128
PM sent.

Have you been able to get good nights sleep since all these restrictions started taking hold? I believe the bottom half of NC is now on restrictions and like here in GA these restrictions will only increase.

I was a good six weeks with just terrible sleeping and now [last night Saturday] I actually slept for ten hours…I feel like a new man…

Al the PaintPolisher
Old 10-28-07, 04:10 PM
LexFather

That is good news Al.

Mike
Old 10-31-07, 07:39 PM
BKE420
Lead Lap

No water restrictions here in WA....but obviously rains alot...going to purchase the ONR...good enough info to move forward and purchase it.