Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Painting ES300

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-07, 08:03 PM
rmahbub
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting ES300

Ok.
I want to repaint my whole car or portion of it. It is very old car [my frist ES300] but love it and wanna keep it shining....
My question is can any one do that? i mean dealer or some one. can any body get me some ref in greater Orlando, FL area? or how can I do it by myself if that is worth.
Its beige 1998 ES300. has few scratch too.

Thanks,
Old 11-05-07, 05:26 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you do it...? Yes, but...should you do it? That's the real question.

To do it right involves so much time and work that you will have to seriously consider if you can afford that time and effort. Basically, your life will have to stop for a few days, even a week, in order to execute the process from prep, to masking, to spraying...

Then, after doing so, you will make mistakes that all beginners make. You have to have both a clean environment, proper tools (spray gun / compressor etc.) and skills to pull it off with good results. Without experience behind a spray gun, you will have runs, sags, dirt and other possible issues such as fish eyes (prep is EVERYTHING here).

I speak from the experience of having painted over 25 vehicles, and the first couple were nothing to brag about. I can paint show quality now, but look how long it took! I started when I was 17, I'm 50.

You will also need to learn to wetsand, because you WILL get dirt and debris in the paint, as well as orange peel texture, which (if you care) must be sanded /buffed out.

It's more a monumental task than people imagine, to paint a car.

If I've scared you, good.

Find some shops and get estimates. Remember, you will have to spend a couple hundred dollars just for materials, so think it over well, it's not cheap either way.

Anything I haven't covered, just ask.

Dan
Old 11-05-07, 08:24 PM
rmahbub
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Dan.
Can yo suggest some shops near orlando? would that be as shiny as in factory [close enough!].

Originally Posted by Guitarman
Can you do it...? Yes, but...should you do it? That's the real question.

To do it right involves so much time and work that you will have to seriously consider if you can afford that time and effort. Basically, your life will have to stop for a few days, even a week, in order to execute the process from prep, to masking, to spraying...

Then, after doing so, you will make mistakes that all beginners make. You have to have both a clean environment, proper tools (spray gun / compressor etc.) and skills to pull it off with good results. Without experience behind a spray gun, you will have runs, sags, dirt and other possible issues such as fish eyes (prep is EVERYTHING here).

I speak from the experience of having painted over 25 vehicles, and the first couple were nothing to brag about. I can paint show quality now, but look how long it took! I started when I was 17, I'm 50.

You will also need to learn to wetsand, because you WILL get dirt and debris in the paint, as well as orange peel texture, which (if you care) must be sanded /buffed out.

It's more a monumental task than people imagine, to paint a car.

If I've scared you, good.

Find some shops and get estimates. Remember, you will have to spend a couple hundred dollars just for materials, so think it over well, it's not cheap either way.

Anything I haven't covered, just ask.

Dan
Old 11-06-07, 05:11 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't really help you with Orlando, I'm not familiar with any over there, but you may want to post that question in the local forum, there are plenty of people who have had paint work done, who are in your town.

Yes, it'll be as shiny as oem, even moreso if you spend $$$. But even a "decent" more economical job can be glossy and make the car look great again.

I think you'll be happy to save up a bit and have it done right, rather than DIY.

Give it a shot and post in the Florida chapter for an Orlando area shop that isn't "high end" but reasonable, that does good work. I'm betting opinions will be available there.

Best of luck!