Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Water Spots on my new Black Opal Ls600hL

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-07, 06:04 AM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Spots on my new Black Opal Ls600hL

Being driven crazy by this issue. Hoping someone here can help. Where I live, I get hit a few times a week with sprinklers, as well as other issues with hard water hitting the car. The car lives outside 24/7. Hoping to avoid a car cover which I think looks lousy outside.

This is what my car looked like yesterday. This is one day after being hit by a sprinkler. This is after being washed, and dried, BTW.

Quick detailing products did nothing. Vinegar did nothing. Eventually I took two different approaches. On the hood I used Klasse All-in-One and buffed it out with my Flex. On the trunk lid, and sides, I clayed it out. The problem is, both of my approaches took off the 3 coats of Klasse AIO and Klasse Sealant Glaze that I had put on the car. So 3 full days of hard work down the drain. Clearly I can't do this every week, that's insane.

Any thoughts as to what can remove these hard water spots within a few days of their appearance and not remove the wax/sealant forcing me to reapply it.
Old 11-08-07, 09:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

oh man, it hurts to see that!

i think it's a no win situation. once there are water and the dried under the sun, it's going to start eat in. i don't know of any good way of removing them without hurting the sealant / wax / paint. after the AOI, did you try to put on some wax (maybe a thick layer)? that might make it easier to remove the water spot before it hits the AOI and all you need to do is re-apply wax.

even on my car with several layers of AOI and wax, with water it will still have spots, just a bit easier to remove.

but ultimately, i think you need a bigger home with more garages
Old 11-08-07, 09:05 AM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
oh man, it hurts to see that!

i think it's a no win situation. once there are water and the dried under the sun, it's going to start eat in. i don't know of any good way of removing them without hurting the sealant / wax / paint. after the AOI, did you try to put on some wax (maybe a thick layer)? that might make it easier to remove the water spot before it hits the AOI and all you need to do is re-apply wax.

even on my car with several layers of AOI and wax, with water it will still have spots, just a bit easier to remove.

but ultimately, i think you need a bigger home with more garages
Can't get the bigger garage that I want. Community won't allow it.

I'll try my old favorite, easy to apply regimen of Four Star UPPP topped with Souveran next. I had thought that 3 coats of KSG would be like armor on the car. Especially considering what a PIA it is to remove. How wrong I was. I got the same (lack) of protection that I would get from the UPPP / Souveran, with far more effort. Won't be doing that again.

Still hoping for some WOWO QD to remove the water spots. Bummer that vinegar didn't work.

Any other thoughts? The clay was much easier than the KAIO, obviously, so I think that's what I'll do next week.
Old 11-08-07, 09:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i haven't really done any comparison, but i wonder if zaino will give more protection against water spot. however they can't be mixed with AOI stuff, and imho on black cars they don't shine as well, so i am not sure if it's worth it in your case

clay is definitely easier, though you are also "guaranteed" to remove your work done previously
Old 11-08-07, 09:21 AM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

Never used Zaino. Don't know. Buffing will remove all the LSP products anyway, so the way I see that is more work for same result. I keep hearing about the ability to "gently" clay a car and not remove the Last Step Product, but I don't really buy it.
Old 11-08-07, 11:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by zzzzdoc
Never used Zaino. Don't know. Buffing will remove all the LSP products anyway, so the way I see that is more work for same result. I keep hearing about the ability to "gently" clay a car and not remove the Last Step Product, but I don't really buy it.
i don't buy it neither, to me as soon as you clary, you take things out. it's not like a lettuce where you can peel them off one piece by one piece
Old 11-08-07, 01:35 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

car covers or adjust your sprinklers. It's the best way for the car.

The amount of time it's going to take you to wash your car every week and get the water spots out, you might as well take that 20 minutes a day to water your own lawn with a hose.
Old 11-08-07, 04:13 PM
reamemiya
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try cleaning it with a bucket of warm water and dawn. Then try clay baring. If that doesn't work trying using some compound and polish. If that doesn't work you might have to wet sand.

I guess another option would be to take it to a professional detailer.
Old 11-08-07, 04:25 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by reamemiya
Try cleaning it with a bucket of warm water and dawn. Then try clay baring. If that doesn't work trying using some compound and polish. If that doesn't work you might have to wet sand.

This is good but I think he wants to keep his sealants on if I recall correctly. There really is nothing you can do to prevent it other than garaging it or getting a car cover. I have the same problem as you with the sprinklers since mine sits in my driveway as well but for the 5 minutes a day it takes to put on and take off the cover it makes you feel a lot better not seeing any of the spots on your car anymore.
Old 11-08-07, 04:52 PM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

Nothing is going to protect from hard water spots except not letting the water get on your car.
Old 11-08-07, 08:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by reamemiya

warm water isn't a good idea, it breaks down the wax and sealant as well
Old 11-08-07, 09:12 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Those are some nasty spots! I'd agree with Rominl and try Zaino for added protection. Unfortunately, everything has to come off (clay the whole car) before you apply Zaino, but I think it'll protect it better than Klasse.

But going forward, the sprinkler spots need to be wiped down as soon as you see them. Good luck!
Old 11-09-07, 03:11 AM
zzzzdoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tod071
Those are some nasty spots! I'd agree with Rominl and try Zaino for added protection. Unfortunately, everything has to come off (clay the whole car) before you apply Zaino, but I think it'll protect it better than Klasse.

But going forward, the sprinkler spots need to be wiped down as soon as you see them. Good luck!
Well, may have to go for the car cover. Really will bother me having to do it.

Here's the before and after pictures after the spots were removed by buffing. Klasse AIO and/or claying was enough to get them off.

Let's see how long that lasts.
Old 11-09-07, 05:47 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i haven't really done any comparison, but i wonder if zaino will give more protection against water spot. however they can't be mixed with AOI stuff, and imho on black cars they don't shine as well, so i am not sure if it's worth it in your case

clay is definitely easier, though you are also "guaranteed" to remove your work done previously
Zaino will work about the same as what you have been using for protection from hard water spots. I use nothing but Zaino on my GX and my wife’s X5 and both are garaged at work and home but her garage at work has water leaks. She parked under one and it etched her hood and her X5 is Black Sapphire so I feel your pain. It had 3 coats of Zaino plus one coat of Clear Seal, it ate right through it. Had to use Scratch X and Zaino's Z-PC paint cleaner with hard rubbing to remove them then do the clay bar and rewax process again. It happened one more time before I finally convinced her to park in another spot, it is just too much work to keep re-doing all the wax and seal process!
Old 11-09-07, 07:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

ok so i guess zaino still won't help the situation much

zzzzdoc, maybe it's time to move to a new location with more garage space?

Quick Reply: Water Spots on my new Black Opal Ls600hL