Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

General Washing Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-07, 12:39 PM
06-IS250
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General Washing Questions

Hey guys,

I looked in the forum, I couldnt find the answer to this. Is there a difference in HOW you wash the car? I mean, do you do swirls with the sponge? or wipe from left to right, right to left?

haha i read that some ppl use leaf blowers, thats a great idea! Also, do you guys know of a good tire shine? I want a quality brand name that wont damage anything.

ugh living in Vancouver blows, its raining all the time, i cant even wash the damn thing.
Old 11-12-07, 01:52 PM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think there's a difference in how you wipe your car, although it's been suggested to wipe from left to right, I personally don't see ay difference. It depends on what you use to wash the car that makes the difference. Instead of a sponge, try using a microfiber wash mitt or lambswool mitt. Use a good soap, like Meguiars gold class, then you won't have to worry about how you wipe.

Some people use leaf blowers to dry their car, it seems crazy but it does work, you'll just look partly insane to your neighbors though.

You live in Vancouver but your location says your from California, why is that? Just curious. I actually prefer it when it rains hard than how it is here in California, barely a drizzle which just drops droplets of water to the car making the car even more dirty.
Old 11-12-07, 03:23 PM
MShybrid
Pole Position

I think that it's not really a matter of which way you wash it but some pre preperation sure helps reduce swirls. I normally spray off the car to remove as much grit possible. I then load up the foam gun with Duragloss 901 and cover it with foam for a good presoak to help loosen the remaining dirt.After the presoak I rinse the car and then fill two buckets with a good soapy 901 solution. The first bucket bucket is used to apply the wash and the second bucket is to rinse out the wash mit before it is put back into the first bucket. Doing this removes any grit caught up in the wash mit. This may not be the way the pros do it but it has always worked for me. You will have to look long and hard to find a swirl on any of our vehicles. Hope this helps.
Old 11-12-07, 03:48 PM
Yakuza70
Driver School Candidate

Here's a great video on proper washing techniques:

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vi...7&fr=yfp-t-501
Old 11-12-07, 03:49 PM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The problem with using a leaf blower is that any rocks or dirt you kick up can scratch your car, so you'll want to be careful. Other than that, I haven't heard of a difference in HOW to wash a car, more in just what type of material and soap to use. RFX45 is right in suggesting a wash mitt, it’s much better than a sponge, and I don't recommend just buying regular dish washing detergent and throwing it in a bucket. Get a good quality soap that is made for washing cars. Also, waxing is great for your car. It keeps the paint lasting a lot longer.

-Regan

Last edited by Sewell; 11-12-07 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Added Name
Old 11-13-07, 05:44 AM
MShybrid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexus-Parts
The problem with using a leaf blower is that any rocks or dirt you kick up can scratch your car, so you'll want to be careful. Other than that, I haven't heard of a difference in HOW to wash a car, more in just what type of material and soap to use. RFX45 is right in suggesting a wash mitt, it’s much better than a sponge, and I don't recommend just buying regular dish washing detergent and throwing it in a bucket. Get a good quality soap that is made for washing cars. Also, waxing is great for your car. It keeps the paint lasting a lot longer.

-Regan
One thing to remember...most dish washing detergents will remove any wax that is on your car. Use a designated car wash instead.
Old 11-13-07, 10:46 AM
samathews
Driver School Candidate

There certainly is a proper technique for washing cars to reduce/eliminate adding swirls and MShybrid described it quite well.

The main problem you are trying to avoid is draging dirt (even very small particles) across your paint. For washing, use a highquality wash mitt or boar's hair brush, rinse it frequently to remove dirt, rinse the car well, dry with a good microfiber drying cloth - and it is best to blot instead of rubbing with the drying cloth - if you have to drag it across the car, do so with as little pressure as possible. Taking a little care here will really help.

If you drop a cloth or mitt - don't use it and wash everything well between uses - that is don't just let the mitt or towels sit in your wash bucket until next wash.

Visit autopia.com for more washing advice than you can imagine.
Old 11-13-07, 10:45 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

I've used and tried almost all products and techniques, but find myself using a tile grout sponge and ONR in either a 2 bucket system or a 5-gal bucket with Grit Guard.

Just make sure you use a good MF towel, like a Pakshak Waffle Weave to dry or a leaf blower.
Old 11-20-07, 06:21 PM
06-IS250
Pole Position

thats some great advice guys, thanks!
Old 11-20-07, 09:09 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

wash from TOP to bottom. and, make sure to clean your wash mits well after you clean the wheel wells/behind the wheel. Use a decent car wash shampoo, and use two buckets, one to rinse, and one for soap.
Old 11-21-07, 11:16 AM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ You actually clean the wheel well with a wash mitt? I usually just hose that part off.

Even if i did though, I would never use that same mitt on the car's body. Just buy a separate wash mitt for those part. I usually have two wash mitts, one for the car's body and one for the wheels.
Old 11-22-07, 12:02 AM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

No, not the actual wheel well. i mean the 1/2 inch of painted body paneling that folds into the wheel well.
Old 11-22-07, 12:11 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i do this

Originally Posted by tuan92129
wash from TOP to bottom. and, make sure to clean your wash mits well after you clean the wheel wells/behind the wheel. Use a decent car wash shampoo, and use two buckets, one to rinse, and one for soap.
and i use sponge for wheels, don't use brush if you have aftermarket rims, they will put visible scratches on them, and be sure to wash the tires...nothing more unattractive than having brown tires
Old 11-23-07, 02:44 AM
vepa
Driver School Candidate

Couple of additional things:
To clean the tires a good degreaser and stiff bristle brush and rinse them really well.
I would suggest using microfiber wash mitts over the lamb’s wool.
Use a lot of soap in your Wash Mitt. It will help keep the dirt or other contaminates suspended away from the paint surface.
Never wash or dry your vehicle in a circular motion. If there are any contaminates in the Wash Mitt or Drying Towel that can cause a scratch or swirl marks. When the swirl mark or scratch is in a straight line (left to right or up and down) they can be more easily be removed, by Hand, Orbital or Rotary machines
Old 11-24-07, 01:02 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rfx45
^^^ You actually clean the wheel well with a wash mitt? I usually just hose that part off.

Even if i did though, I would never use that same mitt on the car's body. Just buy a separate wash mitt for those part. I usually have two wash mitts, one for the car's body and one for the wheels.
I as well have separate good quality wash mitts for my car's body and the 2nd one is only for my rims. But as someone mentioned earlier, use top quality wash soap and a wash mitt. Ditch the your old t-shirts if you've been using one.