Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Questions about car repaint.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-07, 04:09 PM
Just2fly
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about car repaint.

Hi.

Alright, well here is what is going on. I just recently got my car repainted (Spruce Silver) from a guy who does auto body work. He dosen't have a shop, he just does it by himself in his garage. Ok so I went to go pick up my car, and it seemed ok. It was sitting in the shade, and you really couldn't see much if anything if there was something wrong with it. Plus it needed washed, so you still really couldn't see if anything was wrong with it. He said, he almost used a gallon of clear on the car, so it should shine up nicely.

So I got the car back home to wash it. After washing it, and the sun hitting on the car. I started to notice somethings wrong with the paint. I really noticed that the paint just really didn't have that depth to it, like it did before. I also started to see some burn marks, and it looks like other things from when he tryed to buff the car out. Then I noticed some dark streak marks going across the hood. I tried getting the streak marks out, as I thought it might of come from the buffer, but it looks like it is under the clear coat.

Anyways, I got back in contact with him, and he said he might have to repaint the hood. Also said he would get it looking the way it should be looking. Still though, my car sits outside, and right now. It is just not looking the way the car should be looking. I was wanting to get some of you guys opinons on what you think I should get done to it, or what might be the problem.

Here are some pictures for you guys to take a look at:

Pictures from around the car:

Hood of the car:

Old 11-15-07, 04:09 PM
Just2fly
Driver School Candidate

Old 11-15-07, 04:10 PM
Just2fly
Driver School Candidate

So what do you guys think about it? Also, what do you think needs to be done?
Old 11-15-07, 04:13 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

LOL, all I see is someone with too much wax.
Old 11-15-07, 04:52 PM
Just2fly
Driver School Candidate

So is all those marks I see on the car, just came from to much wax? Can you see those dark streak marks going across the hood? Where do you think that came from?
Old 11-15-07, 05:26 PM
LXMN
Lexus Test Driver

Those black streaks/lines look like inconsistent spray patterns. Looks like he missed his overlapping passes with the base coat and the primer/sealer is showing due to uneven coverage. He might have missed this due to poor lighting? Or, used up all the base coat and said F it, and shot some clear over it.
Only way to fix that, if that is the case, is to reshoot the base coat/clear coat.
Old 11-15-07, 05:32 PM
BLovesc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You get what you pay for
Old 11-15-07, 06:04 PM
Just2fly
Driver School Candidate

He did say he might have to repaint the hood of the car. So we will see what it looks like after that. One of the main things that is getting me though is the marks on the side of the car. I mean is that, because he used to much wax, or what? The car just dosen't have that depth to it though anymore. Kinda like a mirror image to it, like it should have after you just got it painted. He said he will get everything to where it should be, but what exactly does it look like needs to be done? Would anybody suggest after everything is done, to get it detailed, and that should bring out the shine in it?
Old 11-16-07, 05:28 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The lines in the hood are what is referred to as "tiger striping", caused when spraying metallics colors in straight, sweeping passes. He probably never sprayed a metallic color or never learned how...you MUST have a loose wrist and spray more random rather than overlap the way you would with a solid color, you CANNOT spray it in back and forth overlapping lines. Metallics & pearls require a different spray technique.

The rest look like really poor wetsanding marks that he didn't fully buff out. At least at first glance, that is my take on it. I actually HOPE that is all it is, otherwise, you/he has an even bigger problem.

If you can get him to fix it for free, LET HIM> Unfortunately, I suspect he is on a learning curve with your car as one of the guinea pigs.

I hope you get it where you're happy with it. It's at least heartening to know he's at least willing to try to fix some of the issues.

Question; did you see some of this guy's paintwork before you decided to hire him to paint your car?

?
Old 11-16-07, 05:33 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

P.S. Over the rear wheelwell, those blue splotches look very much like burn through to the old basecolor.

He either wetsanded thru or busted thru when using a rotary. My guess is the former, and he just (ack) clearcoated over it all, hoping it wouldn't be noticeable.