Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Cold Winter...how do you wash your car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-07, 07:29 AM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by taeng
That's what I used to do when I went to school in buffalo. I actually went to those enclosed bays just to use their water and hand washed it myself since I didn't have a hose at my apt. over there. However back down in NYC there aren't any drive in bays only wash stations that I know of.
hahaha remind me of my good old college years, i used to do that offen, bring my own soap and use their water..

i live in Brooklyn now and they don't really have those, only those gas station places,, which cost about 7bucks for 7 minuts... a lot of times, you need 14 bucks for a nice clean.
Old 11-30-07, 08:01 AM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by kickin8
Ultimate Quick Detailer by meguiar's!
Can you use that stuff on a dirty car?? I have always only used it immediately after a wash or wax. I would imagine that if you used it on a dirty car you would get a lot of scratches. I don't think that stuff was intended to be a substitue for a good soap and water wash. YMMV
Old 11-30-07, 08:22 AM
taeng
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1993ES300x
hahaha remind me of my good old college years, i used to do that offen, bring my own soap and use their water..

i live in Brooklyn now and they don't really have those, only those gas station places,, which cost about 7bucks for 7 minuts... a lot of times, you need 14 bucks for a nice clean.
It's funny when you see the other people waiting looking at you like your crazy hand washing your car...meanwhile everyone else just zooms in use the brush provided and zoom out.
Old 11-30-07, 10:38 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by KayGee
Can you use that stuff on a dirty car?? I have always only used it immediately after a wash or wax. I would imagine that if you used it on a dirty car you would get a lot of scratches. I don't think that stuff was intended to be a substitue for a good soap and water wash. YMMV
Kinda. The quick detailer is meant for light dust. You are correct that it shouldn't be a substitute for a real car wash. I never use a quick detailer after a car wash to be honest. I wait until it dusts up a bit (a day after) before applying it
Old 11-30-07, 10:38 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

BTW it's raining hard here. I went outside and used my foam gun to foam up all the cars on the driveway The ultimate no rinse system
Old 12-01-07, 11:04 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've already closed the valves leading to the water pipes at my house which means no more hand washing. The car wash spot I go to has the bays, Touchless Laser Wash and the soft cloth. I mostly use the Laser Wash but lately it's been time cleaning the car in the bays. In winter depending on how much snow falls during a storm, I generally wait 3 days or so before I clean the car. I see people clean their cars one day after snow falls. I think it's a waste to clean that quick cuz whatever salt and brine on the roads will be kicked up by the car in front of you or passing you on the side.
Old 12-05-07, 05:24 PM
taeng
Lead Lap

MrG4 do you live in NYC?
Old 12-05-07, 05:37 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

hes either NY or NJ.....and i handwash in my driveway lol...im a soldier.
Old 12-05-07, 06:52 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by taeng
MrG4 do you live in NYC?
Originally Posted by LiCelsior
hes either NY or NJ.....and i handwash in my driveway lol...im a soldier.
Nah fellas, I left NYC a couple years ago and headed a little south to Delaware. Got fed with things living for so many years up there in NYC. I still head up there very often because of a lot family and friends and what not. One place I miss is that car wash on Queens Blvd that's close to the LIE and the strip joint. I had worked not to far from there and we had called it "SuperWash". I forget what the real name of the place but it seemed like your car was in in the tunnel thing for a long time getting washed.

LiCelsior is a soldier for toughing it out washing his car in the dead of winter. I've done it here and there but what I hate is when water gets on your hands and wrist when it's crazy cold outside.
Old 12-09-07, 02:09 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.................

Pay others to do the dirty job for you!!!

Just like I am being paid to do the dirty job for them!!!
Old 12-10-07, 02:17 PM
-Samurai-
Lead Lap

Touchless is best, dont EVER go to the ones with the spinning brushes. That scratches the hell out of your car I've heard, and I'm not gonna find out by trying...LOL
Old 12-10-07, 02:31 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

washed my car in 42 degree weather on saturday. warm water + soap = GREAT results. i used hot hot water but when i put my hand into it, it felt perfect because it was cold out. then it rained sunday zzzzz.