Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Porter Cable 7424 Car Buffer / Polisher on sale $99.99

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-07, 10:34 AM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Porter Cable 7424 Car Buffer / Polisher on sale $99.99

Check out Tools-plus, they have the porter cable buffer going for 99 dollars with 6.95 shipping!

http://www.tools-plus.com/porter-cab...m_term=P-C7424
Old 12-03-07, 03:44 PM
MShybrid
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats a really good price on the PC. I highly recommend it for anyone wanting to do their own detailing.
Old 12-03-07, 09:36 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good price. That's about the going rate on a number of sites.
Old 12-04-07, 07:44 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

That is a good price on a great tool.

Dave Mac
Old 12-05-07, 09:20 PM
DrewGS350
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah! Gave my wish list to Mrs Clause and will see if one shows up
Old 01-14-08, 09:41 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I think I am going to go ahead and go with this deal. Does this sound like a good deal guys? I am new to electric polishers, this model seems like the best bet to go with a beginner and is even a good model for experienced detailers who don't want to use rotaries. I want to remove swirl marks and stubborn water spots mainly and some minor scratch correction if it is possible with this orbital. Are there any better orbitals out there that you guys would recommend over the 7424, seems like the 7424 is by far the most recommended and common orbital but maybe there is a new model that is a little better. Any recommondations on polishes and pads, whats the best deals and where to get them?
Old 01-15-08, 11:34 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got mine for this price as well.
Old 01-15-08, 01:37 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

I have done a little more research and looks like I should get a hook/loop backing plate for ease of changing pads and that I should get a compounding pad for minor correction. I read mixed reviews where the 7424 may not be good at removing minor defects(swirl marks, oxidation, water spots, fine scratches) and either can't or more or less just make them a little less noticeable and they will come back after a few washes but others say it does a fine job as long as they are not too deep and they are very happy with its performance.

I saw where some where highly praising the Makita BO6040 2 mode where it offers the best of both worlds, orbital motion for safely applying/taking off polish,wax,etc and safe minor corrections and also can be switched to rotary for quicker applications and correcting/removing more serious defects that a orbital is unable to. Unfortunately it cost over twice as much as the Porter Cable and I have not heard too much about it.

There was also a model called a Flex XC3401VRG dual action polisher that is supposidly superior to the 7424 action in correcting defects but safer then a regular rotary. Again it costs over twice as much as the PC and I have not heard too much about it.

Anybody have any experience or more info about these models, is it better just to spend extra and go with one of these 2 instead of the PC which might not be able to do much for swirl marks, waterspots, light scratches, etc from some of the things I have been reading where I might need to eventually get a rotary or one of the above models for correction. I still think I might just go with the PC as that is a great deal and I have no experience with rotaries on vehicles, I just don't want to waste money on something that is not going to do much better then a 30-50 dollar sears polisher at correcting any blemishes.
Old 01-15-08, 11:14 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

PC to start and progress your way up. OR have a friend buy the Flex while you practice with the PC. I'm doing that. I'll have the PC before he gets the Flex so by the time he does I'll be pro with the PC and we can switch off
Old 01-16-08, 01:02 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

I have used all 3 machines and really like the Flex. But, just to clarify, the PC is a random orbital polisher, the Flex is a Forced Rotation (not rotary) polisher, and the Makita BO6040 is a combination of both. Festool RO150FFEQ is also a dual mode and the best machine in terms of orbital as well as forced rotation. None of these machines will replace a rotary buffer, but the forced rotation polisher will do much more correction than an orbital.

Depending on what kind of correction you are trying to accomplish, my recommendations may change. For minor swirls, fine scratches, and light paint cleansing, the PC is fine. It is economical and is the least damaging.

The Makita BO is heavy and the power switch is a little hard to find, especially when you need to turn it off fast. The Festool also has a switch, but its located on the top of the machine, so its a little easier to switch on/off. The Festool is also the lightest (about the same weight as the PC) of all machines, but is also the most expensive ($440-$500).

The Flex and Festool have the most correction ability, but the Flex has a trigger which allows variable speed and power. The Flex is very ergonomical and is priced at about $280, the same as the Makita BO. But, the Flex is very popular now and might be a little hard to find until late Jan/early Feb.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-16-08, 03:45 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tod071
I have used all 3 machines and really like the Flex. But, just to clarify, the PC is a random orbital polisher, the Flex is a Forced Rotation (not rotary) polisher, and the Makita BO6040 is a combination of both. Festool RO150FFEQ is also a dual mode and the best machine in terms of orbital as well as forced rotation. None of these machines will replace a rotary buffer, but the forced rotation polisher will do much more correction than an orbital.

Depending on what kind of correction you are trying to accomplish, my recommendations may change. For minor swirls, fine scratches, and light paint cleansing, the PC is fine. It is economical and is the least damaging.

The Makita BO is heavy and the power switch is a little hard to find, especially when you need to turn it off fast. The Festool also has a switch, but its located on the top of the machine, so its a little easier to switch on/off. The Festool is also the lightest (about the same weight as the PC) of all machines, but is also the most expensive ($440-$500).

The Flex and Festool have the most correction ability, but the Flex has a trigger which allows variable speed and power. The Flex is very ergonomical and is priced at about $280, the same as the Makita BO. But, the Flex is very popular now and might be a little hard to find until late Jan/early Feb.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the information, well it seems the responses seem to say a PC will be fine at removing minor defects like swirl marks, oxidation, water spots, light scratches with the proper pads and polishes and that the other machines are more or less faster and a little better but not required that you would need to step up to if trying to correct minor defects in the finish. At $99 plus the polish,pads, hook/backing plate the PC sounds like the best product and deal for me who is a beginner and I really don't want to spend 280 or so dollars just for a buffer plus supplies right now. Now I just have to figure out where to get the best deals and what products I think will be best for the PC.

Last edited by UDel; 01-17-08 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-16-08, 09:07 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UDel
Now I just have to figure out where to get the best deals and what products I think will be best for the PC.
I know pakshak.com just extended his sale til the end of Jan. So if you can fit it in a USPS flat-rate box, you can get some great savings there.
Old 01-24-08, 07:09 PM
tfeni52355
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just bought one of the PC's and the Zainos kit. Can't wait to detail the wife's SC.
Old 01-25-08, 08:55 AM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

High speed buffers are dead technology, the create swirl marks no matter how good you are. The only difference between people who use them are if they can move the swirls to the right place or not. Plus you run the risk of burning through the paint!

Use a Cyclo Dual Head. Just as fast (3,000 Orbits Per Minute) And 10x as effective. You can leave it in the same spot for as long as you want and it will never burn the paint.

Couldn't believe I ever even touched a high speed buffer.