Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

help on paint please!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-07, 01:49 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default help on paint please!!

i have a black sapphire pearl...and the paint just look like MATTE..i mean no shine at all....after an hour of car wash..dust were just on the paint easily...and i compare it with my cayman which i wash and after a couple of days then dust were on the exterior...apparently, dust are absorbed to my IS more. Any1 knows why? Also i have this swirl marks on them...can this be the problem? i know by detailing the car the marks are gone....but what about the paint? How can i restore the shine and smoothness of the car?
Old 12-05-07, 04:06 AM
LXMN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as one car attracting dirt more than another, smoothness of finish, cleanliness, and sometimes static electricity are the main culprits. Also the color of the car will ditract the eye from seeing how dirty the car actually is. My car is black also, and it seems like I can only keep it dust free for about 1/2 an hour after detailing.

Swirls marks will help trap dust on the finish. Try a swirl remover applied by hand or orbital, this should also help with the shine and smoothness issues. Make sure to follow up with a good wax or sealant. Meguiars just came out with a newer version of their NXT sealant. Should do the trick.
Old 12-05-07, 06:18 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

If you've not done it, try claying the paint after your wash. Then apply a polish and finally your favorite wax. You'd be surprised how much difference clay and polish can make to the final shine.
Old 12-05-07, 09:40 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with jfelbab. Clay is definitely a must. If you don't have the right tools and don't care to do it, take it to a pro and have it washed, clay, polished (remove swirls/scratches), and sealed or waxed. Waxes will usually attract more dust than a sealant. But you can use products from FK1 with Anti-Static properties, especially the FK1 425 Quick Detailer to cut down on the dust attraction. Great stuff with a great smell.
Old 12-06-07, 02:48 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tod071
I agree with jfelbab. Clay is definitely a must. If you don't have the right tools and don't care to do it, take it to a pro and have it washed, clay, polished (remove swirls/scratches), and sealed or waxed. Waxes will usually attract more dust than a sealant. But you can use products from FK1 with Anti-Static properties, especially the FK1 425 Quick Detailer to cut down on the dust attraction. Great stuff with a great smell.
how much does it cost to do all that? estimate on a pro...100-150? also how often should you detail and wax and clay ur car?
Old 12-06-07, 03:08 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

100-150 sounds about right, it also depends on what you want to be done. I would say anywhere from 3-6 months get it detailed. Some people do it monthly, others do it when they feel like it. On a darker color car I would say its more crucial if you want the paint to look really good. My car is silver, so I think I am going to do it every 2 months (waxing.) From Meguair's website, they say wax stays on for about 6 months, BUT then it depends on how often your car is exposed to the elements.
Old 12-06-07, 03:49 PM
jfelbab

On my personal vehicles, I do a full detail (wash, clay, polish, glaze and wax) twice a year, spring and fall. I do a mini detail (wash and wax) every month or two. I also wash weekly and use a polymer based QD after every wash.

Expect to pay around $250 for a full detail. This would include interior and exterior plus two coats of sealant or wax. The full detail should also include engine bay wipe down and wheels, wheel wells and tires.

If you just wanted a wash, clay, polish and wax, $150 sounds about right.

If you are choosing a detailer ask for a few references, and don't just choose based on price. Visit the detailer and inspect his work in progress. Look at the condition, lighting and cleanliness of his shop. Look at the tools and products he uses. Look over his pads and towels.

Discuss your expectations with the detailer before you give him your car. Show him any problem spots and ask whether he can correct them or not. Ask him if he is insured. Ask him if he ever had an problem with a car and what he did to resolve the issue with the customer. Ask how long he has been doing detailing and what kind of training his help has been given. Ask him what brands of products he prefers to use.

You should not need to have a full detail more than once a year if you are doing regular washing and wax it yourself every month or two. Dark colors require more frequent detailing to keep their appearance looking top notch.

For what you would pay for a full detail you can buy the product, and tools to do this yourself. After a learning curve you should be able to do a full detail in about 5-6 hours. Of course this assumes your time is worth nothing.
Old 12-07-07, 12:49 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just do an initial detail for about 150 and make sure you have good references and the detailer has a good portfolio. You can maintain it yourself after that, which would include a wash every week or two, and wax every month. Nothing hard, just buy shampoo, microfiber, and wax. Then, if needed after 6-12months, get another detail or DIY if you feel up to it.

But if you're not up to maintaining it, consider finding a detailer to maintain it for you monthly. Much cheaper to maintain it monthly than to let it deteriorate for 6 months.
Old 12-07-07, 01:48 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Okay, so I live in Los Angeles and have never been into a detailer before. Any1 who is in the LA area or so can you please recommend me a place that is worth spending the money?? Thanks guys for the great help!!!
Old 12-07-07, 07:16 AM
jfelbab

You're in luck. IMO, one of the best detailers in the country is in the LA area.

Contact Joe at Superior Shine. I've seen a lot of his work and they are top notch.

http://www.superiorshine.com/

Disclaimer: I have no fiscal or other connection with Joe's business. I simply have seen his work and can whole heartedly recommend him. I'm sure there are many other great detailers in the LA area but I'm not familiar with them.
Old 12-07-07, 10:30 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

How much does he charge for full detail? i just need mine to be washed, clayed, polished, and waxed
Old 12-07-07, 10:37 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

http://www.superiorshine.com/services.htm?
call them for a estimate. bottom of page.
Old 12-07-07, 11:27 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

I left him a msg, hasnt call me back yet...any other places any1 recommend? The supershine looks $$$$$....hahahaha...