Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.
View Poll Results: How do you remove snow from your car??
regular bristle brush
45.95%
Foam snow broom
8.11%
I leave the snow on my car
8.11%
I melt it with a blow torch
8.11%
What the heck is snow??
29.73%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Proper snow removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-07, 03:01 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Proper snow removal

Dammit winter is here. It snowed a little bit over the weekend and again today. I always winter prep my car with a few layers of wax etc to keep the paint as protected as possible for the next 3-4 months. But snow, dirt, salt and what the lovely state of PA calls "cinders" which is basically pebbles that they throw on the ground instead of sand (talk about chipped paint and bad tires ) leaves the car all battered up come spring.

For those in the snow belt, what are your methods of safely removing snow from your car (with the lowest amount of paint scratches)??

I used to use a regular snow brush to remove the snow, but that will obviously put fine scratches in the paint. Then I just started using my hand, but the dirt already on the car would slide along with the snow. I dont want to leave snow on my hood and roof as that is incredibly dangerous to those around me once it blows off in the wind (Ive seen some bad accidents because of this).

Last edited by GFerg; 12-05-07 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-05-07, 09:03 PM
JoonBug
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just use a regular brush, and any minor scratches that occur i just buff out come spring.
Old 12-06-07, 02:01 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

let snow sit on car, warm car, let ice layer form... you can have a ice protection lol

I brush off most of the snow, till it almost reaches the body, I stop, I just do that since the snow here is easily blown off the car once you drive..
Old 12-06-07, 07:54 PM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just brush off the windows, the rear, and the side mirrors. Then I go on the highway and let the wind do the rest ;]
Old 12-06-07, 09:49 PM
ninetwosc
Rookie

thank god for california weather
Old 12-07-07, 07:06 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

blow torch is the way to go. it warms up your car without wasting any gas lol
Old 12-07-07, 07:27 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

regular brush unless someone has a better idea.
Old 12-07-07, 08:14 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GS400RcrX
I just brush off the windows, the rear, and the side mirrors. Then I go on the highway and let the wind do the rest ;]
thats what I do. Sucks this year b/c the snow caught me off guard and I couldn't get a layer of wax before it snowed...
Old 12-09-07, 12:41 PM
1blkls430
Driver School Candidate

accelerate rapidly up to speed limiter.
Old 12-09-07, 05:11 PM
ensigma
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
thats what I do. Sucks this year b/c the snow caught me off guard and I couldn't get a layer of wax before it snowed...
You're not the only one. I was waiting for a nice day, when it wasn't cold as hell to wash and wax my car. I should have known better..
Old 12-10-07, 11:20 AM
1993ES300x
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well. i use brush to do the top part and the small amount of snow left behind. i use a sponge to wrip it off.
Old 12-10-07, 11:29 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

As a person that used to commute via highway to work during winter months when the roads were snow covered, I hope that those of you that let the wind take the snow off the car while driving get the pleasure of being behind another F-Tard that does the same. This way you can have a 3' x 3' sheet of snow/ice lift off their car and smash right into yours while traveling at 60mph.

Old 12-10-07, 02:03 PM
-Samurai-
Lead Lap

wire brush definate way to get all of the ice and snow off! LMAO JK, idk i just use a regular snow brush...
Old 12-11-07, 08:35 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by mkorsu
As a person that used to commute via highway to work during winter months when the roads were snow covered, I hope that those of you that let the wind take the snow off the car while driving get the pleasure of being behind another F-Tard that does the same. This way you can have a 3' x 3' sheet of snow/ice lift off their car and smash right into yours while traveling at 60mph.

I was traveling on the freeway just two days ago when I watched a huge sheet of hardened snow/ice detach from the top of a semi-trailer and crash into the windshield of a newer Caddy STS. The STS driver briefly lost control and was sideways for about 20 feet. It's the law in WI to clean snow and ice off your vehicle. I believe the fine is $2,000.

Please clean off your cars. Minor scratching, if it even occurs, can be polished out. Check the laws in your state.
Old 12-11-07, 08:59 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by jfelbab
I was traveling on the freeway just two days ago when I watched a huge sheet of hardened snow/ice detach from the top of a semi-trailer and crash into the windshield of a newer Caddy STS. The STS driver briefly lost control and was sideways for about 20 feet. It's the law in WI to clean snow and ice off your vehicle. I believe the fine is $2,000.

Please clean off your cars. Minor scratching, if it even occurs, can be polished out. Check the laws in your state.
The law is the same here in NJ. Car must be completely cleaned in order to be driven on any road. Although, it really hasn't been enforced that much except for the past 2 or so years. The large population of soccer moms driving Yukons have been the catalyst. They seem to only clean the windshield and drivers door, leaving the entire roof loaded with snow and ice.

Quick Reply: Proper snow removal