Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Detailed....Dissapointed....How?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-07 | 06:18 PM
Lexus Test Driver

If your understanding was that the paint was to be polished and then sealed/waxed, then you're fine to expect the swirls to be greatly minimized at the very least. Many hacks out there just run a rotary/DA buffer over the paint with a polish and call it "done". It can take many passes to get it right.

Also be wary of initial results. Swirled paint can look pretty good if a sealant with fillers is used (e.g. NXT). Once you wash a few time and the fillers are removed, the swirls will magically appear.

Threads like this are the reason I bought a PC buffer and do my own work most of the time. Only I know what my absolute expectations are, so it's easiest for me to just do it myself.
Old 12-17-07 | 03:23 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Sorry for the late reply...busy studying for finals..tomorow my last one..anyway...the car actually seemed improve in the paint...it is smooth now like the first time i bought the car..the swirls are still there...but better than it used to be..I guess you cant expect something for 175? well i will probaly get myself a PC or if some1 willingly to rent it to me ? (not borrow) Also..how long do i have to wait before i can use the swirl remover and wax it again? Im scared it will defect the paint or the clear coat...
Old 01-04-08 | 01:49 AM
Armand
Driver

I won't repeat what the others said but i agree 100%. First call the bone head back and tell him your car is still swirled up to see what he can do for you. if that fails find a good detailer by referal. To save a little money tell the detailer you just want the swirls removed and you can apply the wax yourself by hand.

not sure what part of LA your in (Im in the whittier area) but try superior shine, he only works the san gabriel valley area but he can refer you to someone in your area (maybe). If you're in the LAX area try calling the chemical guys auto detail supply store and ask them for a referal.

If the swirling is that bad you may need a rotary not a PC and I wouldn't recommend a rotary to a novice detailer - no offense but you can burn through paint very easily with one of those bad boys.

http://www.superiorshine.com/

http://www.chemicalguys.com/
Old 01-04-08 | 03:47 PM
DetailMan
Driver

A little old, but like what was said, you got a cheap job. If you want it done right, you're going to have to pay for it. There are a lot of those types of guys running around. If you're still looking to get it redone, then PM me and I can put you in touch with someone.