Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Paint perfection!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-02, 08:28 AM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Paint perfection!

Quick background: My Pearl White GS looked great when I bought it BUT, I didn’t get down on hands and knees and inspect the lower body panels closely. Now, I’m trying to get the paint to “perfection” and did a real close inspection of the areas of the car that normally aren’t noticed (below the “chrome” strip). There are a lot of tiny black dots – could be tar, etc. – don’t know. Following is what I did that worked and what didn’t.

I start with bug/tar remover – a waste of time. I’d still be rubbing with little result.
Next, I tried spot rubbing by hand with Meguiar’s Scratch X – it worked but is very tedious and slow. Also tried Kit Scratch Out – didn’t work quite as well as the Meguiars.

OK, time to get serious. I used Meguiars with my Porter Cable 7424 polisher – worked and faster than by hand, but still slow.

Finally … the answer … clay. I’d used the Zaino clay on my old SC4 and it smoothed out the paint and (apparently) removed crap that I’d not noticed. On the white GS, used with the recommended Z7 solution, made easy work of removing the little black dots. Got a bright halogen shop light shining down the side of the car and there’s nothing but pristine paint ready for the full Zaino treatment. Frankly, the clay worked better than anything I tried – even a power polisher with Meguiars. Thought I’d pass this tip along ‘cause I know most guys don’t know about the clay treatments. I’d say the clay cut the dot removal time to 25% of any other method I tried. Try it – it works!
Old 01-27-02, 12:40 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Thanks, Garnet!! I'd been contemplating trying my clay bar on my mo-in-law's ES (my wife's former car, so it at least got a good start in life) for a number of problems brought on by her inattention to it's finish. I think you've provided me with the answer!!

You ARE the man! Yes, really!
Old 01-27-02, 12:43 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Thanks, Garnet!! I'd been contemplating trying my clay bar on my mo-in-law's ES (my wife's former car, so it at least got a good start in life) for a number of problems brought on by her inattention to it's finish. I think you've provided me with the answer!! And, like many of those earlier ESs, it's Crystal White Metallic, so your experience is doubly helpful.

You ARE the man! Yes, really!
Old 01-28-02, 12:23 PM
aerodyne
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are few things that you can buy that are truly revolutionary,
in that they save a ton of time and money with NO side effects.

Using a clay bar on your car is one of these...

I never have to use a power polisher now.

aerodyne
Old 01-29-02, 12:09 PM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree, I used Clay Bar on my car about a month ago and it is absolutely the best thing ever. I will never use anything else besides it. I even used it on my old Camry and it even made the paint on that smooth (and that was hard to do with just about all the other products on the market). Why didn't I know about this earlier...
Old 01-29-02, 04:43 PM
jgrooms
Driver

I agree with mcgong & aerodyne. A friend of mine introduced me to the clay bar technique and it made my paint as smooth as silk. Surprisingly it didn't take that long to do the entire car, 40 minutes tops. I couldn't believe how many contaminants were embedded in the paint. I could actually "feel" them as I rubbed the clay bar across the surface. Afterwards I used Meguires Deep Crystal System polish and followed with a coat of Zymol wax—what a shine!
Old 01-29-02, 06:11 PM
Lex Addict
Driver School Candidate

Hello all,

I'm new to Club Lexus. I would like to know where can I buy a clay bar? Also, is one brand better than another?

Thanx,

Lex

* Live each day as if it were your last and one day you'll be right.
Old 01-29-02, 08:36 PM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Lex Addict
Hello all,

I'm new to Club Lexus. I would like to know where can I buy a clay bar? Also, is one brand better than another?

Goto www.Zainobros.com. You can also call them to get a list of dsitributors in your area, thats what I did. If you have any questions, email them, they are very good at answering them. I haven't tried other clay bars, but the one by zaino is proven to work.
Old 01-29-02, 10:29 PM
paradox
Rookie

There's also one by Mothers, if I'm not mistaken which is more readily available at auto stores, but by and large, Zaino's is one of the superior ones. Their polymer product line - in addition to that- is also truly outstanding.