Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Dent Removing Method

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-07, 12:04 AM
Mobstar
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dent Removing Method

Has anybody tried this?
It looks very promising, http://www.metacafe.com/watch/501379...ith_airduster/

There is also another video, which i cannot find.
The person rubs dry ice over their dent and it pops right out.
Old 12-31-07, 12:40 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I will actually put up a post within the next few days with pics on well this and the hair dryer/compressed can air method works. Result-damaged paint, dent still there.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 12-31-07 at 12:55 AM.
Old 12-31-07, 01:21 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I tried this method before. It will only work on dents that wants to be pushed out. Dents are said to have 'memory' because after a long period of time, the dent will basically hold that position forever. A dent that is maybe a year old would probably not want to pop itself out anymore. I have not had one successful result so far, but I do not doubt the method at all.

But you'll find yourself wanting to find someone who does PDR work if you have some pretty bad dents.
Old 12-31-07, 07:02 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

gsteg is right, tried this on a big dent and it didnt work.
Old 12-31-07, 10:10 AM
1NEAT_SC
Pole Position

Hmmm... I have a small rock dent on my hood. I was wondering if you tried this technique from the back side if it would work....??? So you're not directly treating the painted area.

I've tried pushing (soft mallet) it out from the back side and accomplished a little, but with the light on it, it's still noticeable.

If one knows.....?

lar
Old 12-31-07, 10:27 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I went from the back of the dent as well. Paint was damaged from the temperature swing. Pretty bad. Factory paint.
Old 12-31-07, 11:12 AM
1NEAT_SC
Pole Position

Thanks Pearl. I just scrubbed that idea. Rather have the tiny dent than screw up the paint.

lar
Old 01-01-08, 02:23 PM
dentpusher
Pole Position

You can hear and see a lot of the dent pop back after it starts to warm up again. Its real visible from the top of the panel. Metal does have memory and though you may get a small section to pop out and stay most of it will come back. PDR has it place and is well worth the price for a good tech. When you repair a dent without filler you need to work the metal in a specific order. Otherwise you will just distort the area and make a mess out of it or damage the paint.
Old 01-02-08, 04:31 AM
2GTSVETTE
Pole Position

this does not work....
Old 01-02-08, 01:46 PM
magnetik
Pole Position

I saw one of those "as seen on TV" by that guy that does all of them (sort of looks like Kenny Rodgers)

It's just a metal bar with 3 suction cups and rods that you screw down. It seems like it might work for small dents but didn't want to take $20 to find out. I have dent on my roof (from a parking garage somehow) and was wondering if anyone has tried this thing?
Old 01-02-08, 03:01 PM
dentpusher
Pole Position

Originally Posted by magnetik
I saw one of those "as seen on TV" by that guy that does all of them (sort of looks like Kenny Rodgers)

It's just a metal bar with 3 suction cups and rods that you screw down. It seems like it might work for small dents but didn't want to take $20 to find out. I have dent on my roof (from a parking garage somehow) and was wondering if anyone has tried this thing?
I am a pdr tech and have cleaned up after those tools. They look like they work but you end up putting new dents in where the supports go in most cases. For a little more than the tool you can have the dent removed by a pdr tech and forget about it. You can also save yourself money by removing panels that would be in the way otherwise.
Old 01-03-08, 09:52 AM
magnetik
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dentpusher
I am a pdr tech and have cleaned up after those tools. They look like they work but you end up putting new dents in where the supports go in most cases. For a little more than the tool you can have the dent removed by a pdr tech and forget about it. You can also save yourself money by removing panels that would be in the way otherwise.
Thanks for the info. I always make it a habit to never buy anything that says "as seen on tv"

Since the dent is in my roof I may have to wait until I sound deaden my roof to get to the dent from the other side.
Old 01-07-08, 02:08 PM
podilap
Driver School Candidate

I have couple of dents on my passenger door(LEXUS RX330). Couple of weeks ago there were huge wind in dallas,TX. when i was filling up gas, due to heavy winds It hit the pole at the pump statation.
I went to lexus dealer they had recommended to go to Service King. I got a quote for $700.00 to repair and paint the dent. There are no scratches on the car. Can you please suggest any dent repair in Dallas, texas area?
What are my best options? should i go with Dent wizard or paint and repair
Old 01-10-08, 05:23 AM
dentpusher
Pole Position

Originally Posted by podilap
I have couple of dents on my passenger door(LEXUS RX330). Couple of weeks ago there were huge wind in dallas,TX. when i was filling up gas, due to heavy winds It hit the pole at the pump statation.
I went to lexus dealer they had recommended to go to Service King. I got a quote for $700.00 to repair and paint the dent. There are no scratches on the car. Can you please suggest any dent repair in Dallas, texas area?
What are my best options? should i go with Dent wizard or paint and repair
If you have no paint damage then pdr and a quick buff around the area should be plenty. I would find a tech that has references and a good number of years in the business. Even some pics he can share. The problem with bad pdr techs is that if the dent is not repaired right the first time they can damage the paint and make a huge mess out of the metal.
A good source for finding a good tech in your area are body shops. They use this type of service daily. I would find a good body shop in your area and ask them who they use. Will save you the trouble of finding a qualified tech in most cases.