Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Information Overload - Need help with choices

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-08, 06:49 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Information Overload - Need help with choices

Guys,

I promised my girlfriend I would was/polish her car for her birthday. I have my PC7424 already with a flex pad, but nothing else. After reading many different threads and going to many different sites I am well and truly confused.

I already have all the basic Meguiars products - quik detail yada yada.

Basically what I need to know is which pads should I get for my PC, and which waxes/polishes/cutters? I have 2 black cars so whatever you think will work best with black cars.

Thanks,
Jonny
Old 01-27-08, 07:04 PM
as3.0cl
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first off www.autogeek.net i would start there and also autotopia.com. they have some very good vids of detailing and what pads to use. if i were you i would buy a whole pad set, because each pad has a different cut and purpose.

if you are doing a full detail i would clay bar the whole car first before polishing it. for polishers is normally use Pinnacle and their xmt line, i like their products. i'll use the xmt1 for light swirls and only do i use the xmt 2 for deeper marks and large paint correction.

after that i go over it with a paint cleaner. which i use Klausse All-in-one. after that i seal it with klausse sealer. the klausse will last a very long time and can actually be layer if it is left to cure for 12+ hours, giving a much deeper shine. on top of all of that i use poorboy's carnauba blue, made for dark colored cars and then the paint looks like it's glass. the carnauba will also cover up any very minor scratchs you have left. i use a thicker cutting pa for when i'm doing paint correction, and a light abressive pad for the AIO. then u use the sofest pad to apply the sealer.

this is just a brief thing from me. with the Klausse already being on the car, after you wash our car you can reapply a coat of carnauba and the shine will be back like it was before. carnauba does not last very long but does provide protection and a wet look.

hope this helped in guiding you in the right direction.
Old 01-28-08, 12:51 PM
Armand
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now you know the question you asked is like asking "what's your favorite flavor ice cream" LOL. Just about every detailer out there has their preference so I'll take this opportunity to give you my $0.02 worth of info.

Well you go the PC & backing plate and that's a great start, I started there and a year later graduated to the rotary. You can spend a lot of money on pads but hopefully you'll learn from my mistakes, I say the following ASSUMING you paint is in 1/2 way good condition. That means no deep swirl marks, no compounding necessary etc. For the sake of this post I am ASSUMING no major paint correction is necessary.

First you only need 2 good pads if you're going to be detailing only your personal or friends/family's cars. Autogeek.com is a great place to order.

Here is one suggestion, lake county pads:

Meguiar's is also good stuff

Two polishing level pads is really all you need to start with. Later you can add more pads as the needs arise.

As for product, for me POORBOYS is the easiest way to go SSR1, SSR2, SSR2.5 etc. the SSR stands for super swirl remover. These products are super easy to use and work great. For the average car I have never used anything higher than SSR2, SSR1 takes out a lot of swirls. Once you polish up your car(s) their carnuba/polish combo product is a great "between detail" product. Knocks out light swirls and slaps on a coat of wax and it's easy to use with the PC.

Here's the combo product

THIS WAX IS FREAKIN' AWESOME!! I just got my jar 2 weeks ago and man it gives the finish a real wet look. PB is out of stock but there are other online detail retailers that still have some (autogeek, superior care care etc).

Old 04-10-08, 07:13 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by as3.0cl
first off www.autogeek.net i would start there and also autotopia.com. they have some very good vids of detailing and what pads to use. if i were you i would buy a whole pad set, because each pad has a different cut and purpose.

if you are doing a full detail i would clay bar the whole car first before polishing it. for polishers is normally use Pinnacle and their xmt line, i like their products. i'll use the xmt1 for light swirls and only do i use the xmt 2 for deeper marks and large paint correction.

after that i go over it with a paint cleaner. which i use Klausse All-in-one. after that i seal it with klausse sealer. the klausse will last a very long time and can actually be layer if it is left to cure for 12+ hours, giving a much deeper shine. on top of all of that i use poorboy's carnauba blue, made for dark colored cars and then the paint looks like it's glass. the carnauba will also cover up any very minor scratchs you have left. i use a thicker cutting pa for when i'm doing paint correction, and a light abressive pad for the AIO. then u use the sofest pad to apply the sealer.

this is just a brief thing from me. with the Klausse already being on the car, after you wash our car you can reapply a coat of carnauba and the shine will be back like it was before. carnauba does not last very long but does provide protection and a wet look.

hope this helped in guiding you in the right direction.
Originally Posted by Armand
Now you know the question you asked is like asking "what's your favorite flavor ice cream" LOL. Just about every detailer out there has their preference so I'll take this opportunity to give you my $0.02 worth of info.

Well you go the PC & backing plate and that's a great start, I started there and a year later graduated to the rotary. You can spend a lot of money on pads but hopefully you'll learn from my mistakes, I say the following ASSUMING you paint is in 1/2 way good condition. That means no deep swirl marks, no compounding necessary etc. For the sake of this post I am ASSUMING no major paint correction is necessary.

First you only need 2 good pads if you're going to be detailing only your personal or friends/family's cars. Autogeek.com is a great place to order.

Here is one suggestion, lake county pads:

Meguiar's is also good stuff

Two polishing level pads is really all you need to start with. Later you can add more pads as the needs arise.

As for product, for me POORBOYS is the easiest way to go SSR1, SSR2, SSR2.5 etc. the SSR stands for super swirl remover. These products are super easy to use and work great. For the average car I have never used anything higher than SSR2, SSR1 takes out a lot of swirls. Once you polish up your car(s) their carnuba/polish combo product is a great "between detail" product. Knocks out light swirls and slaps on a coat of wax and it's easy to use with the PC.

Here's the combo product

THIS WAX IS FREAKIN' AWESOME!! I just got my jar 2 weeks ago and man it gives the finish a real wet look. PB is out of stock but there are other online detail retailers that still have some (autogeek, superior care care etc).

Guys,

Sorry this response is so late - I completely forgot I had posted this. Thank you both for your sound advice. I ended up getting a little crazy on the autogeek site and spent $200 on the Poor Boy products/Lake Country.

I will let everyone know how it turns out.

Thanks again,
Jonny
Old 04-10-08, 08:04 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Eventually you'll hit the detailing bug and spend over $1000
Old 04-10-08, 08:57 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

posted a menzerna sale here. You might want to check it out because its great stuff =]
Old 04-11-08, 08:27 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
Eventually you'll hit the detailing bug and spend over $1000
You know you have problems if you are buying detailing stuff when your car is up on jack stands!

Originally Posted by eyezack87
posted a menzerna sale here. You might want to check it out because its great stuff =]
I may have blown my budget but I will check it out

Jonny
Old 04-11-08, 10:03 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL, I agree with Armand, asking "what polishes I should get" is like asking which Lexus I should get.

Lots of great information right here on CL. I think you made a good buy with Poorboys stuff. Just don't forget to clay the car, like as3.0cl mentioned. This step alone will make a huge improvement.