Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Painting your car with a brush or roller... what are your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-08, 06:14 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rootaku
So I bought some materials, couldn't get all the ones I needed but well see what happens. I went to a body shop place and then forward me to a custom paint place and the guy was telling me that there isn't a "pearl white" that its a 3 way combinations of a base paint "white" a clear coat and the "pearl" paint. So instead of selling it to me he recommends me to a shop he knows and refused to sell me the paint cause he was closing. Anyways, I have an option to work with my white rustoleum gloss paint that I purchased for about 7 bucks or buy the 2 part mix of whitebase/pearl OR, just buy the "pearl" and use my rustoluem paint. What to do? I mean I just want the 2 Fugly spots to just blend in a little better without breaking the bank.

Well, well see what happens. I got materials here... might as well start sanding and taking some pictures
Root, unfortunately, tri -coats are near impossible to blend, at least by a novice, and you won't be able to do what you want ( blend/match) with the single color white rustoleum.

What you hope for could turn out worse, so think it through and decide if the risk is worth it. I suppose you could look at it like; "if I screw it up, I have to take it to a shop anyway"...so, that's one angle. But if you can't afford to get it fixed right either way, then consider what might happen.

You will never get a spray media (pearl particles) to lay out the same way with a brush or roller, I think you know that, and trying to spray blend them requires expertise and experience. It will likely frustrate you just to try.

If that were a solid white car, you'd have much easier DIY options.

Good luck, just trying to save you heartache.

Dan
Old 02-09-08, 07:49 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

back in H.S. we painted a friends VW bus with some house paint, judging by these pics they did a much better job, although our rendition of bart simpson on the roof was perfect
Old 05-22-08, 04:13 AM
Styluss
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all! My name Is Ryan and I am the author of this paint article.
Pearlpower, you must not have read the write up or you would have seen that I only sanded the car 2wice through 6 coats of paint. Not a hassle at all! I will admit, the finished product is not perfect in any way, but is it a great solution to a crap paint job? YES! My car looks 100 times better than it used to! And really, from 10 feet you cant see anything. Plus, there are ways to do this yourself and end up with a glass like finish, just look at the pics of that Charger! It's all in how much time you want to put into it.
I will be updating my write up with some new information and more photos very soon. Also, there are some links on my site on how to achieve a smooth finsih as such, I was just too lazy to do ti myself

EDIT: And oh yeah!!! DO NOT take your car to one of those value paint shops; Maaco, Earl Shaab or any of that crap. That is, if you really care for your car. I took mine to a Maaco and they got overspray all over my freshly detailed engine bay, all over my CAI, all over my wheels and more. I hate that place. Although, they are franchise owned so a few might be decent shops.

Last edited by Styluss; 06-13-08 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-22-08, 04:54 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
DAMN!
Old 06-12-08, 10:40 PM
Styluss
Driver School Candidate

I have recently updated my write up. There is now a six month update on how the paint is doing, as well as some more in depth tips to getting the job done.

Check it out!

http://www.stylusscustoms.com/poormanspaintjob.html
Old 06-12-08, 10:52 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha, Styluss, I'm doing this tomorrow on the hood of my '94 Dodge Caravan. I'll definitely post pics here. Thanks for the warning though haha
Old 06-13-08, 12:47 AM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has been going on in the honda, vdub, muscle car, and 240 world for a while now.

Paint looks better in pictures than it does in person, and this paint is one of those that proves that theory. It looks good from ~10 feet away though!
Old 06-13-08, 02:41 AM
SpecC
Rookie

my thoughts...

don't do it because it will take forever... results will vary... leave painting to the pros...

If you really want to save money, you should just prep the car for paint yourself. that's where the big money is
Old 06-13-08, 07:37 AM
Styluss
Driver School Candidate

I recently updated my method of at home paint.

Check it out, there is more information and a film demonstrating the application technique.

Poor Mans Paint Job
Old 06-13-08, 10:38 AM
99GS4
Driver

Good option for an old beater...