Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Paint splattered on car, how to remove?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-08, 12:32 PM
Armand
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't remember the name of the product but call a shop that supplies paint to auto body/paint shops, tell them the problem and they should have this stuff readily available. Another good this for those stubborn splatters is a plastic razor blade (one of the greatest detailing tools ever), they're just like single edge razor blades but plastic.
Old 02-18-08, 12:36 PM
Armand
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, my favorite past wax is Natty's red paste AWESOME. I just tried it for the first time 4 weeks ago and it make the car look "wet".

for dark color cars its:

Best all around wax but don't think it's available anymore is:

Old 02-18-08, 04:57 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PaPaHoFF
Porter Cable Buffer should get it off.
Just gonna respond to each post in its own quoted post --

Papa:

I don't own a PC -- Nor do I have the money to buy one at the moment.. (I've got it chalked away for other more immediate things on the priority list for the car) -- Not enough to do it all.. but eventually. So I'd like to get this done as cheaply as possible.

None of my friends have one that I know of.. maybe I can ask a friend of a friend and see if they can ask around.. maybe someone knows a bodyshop guy that would help a guy out, or a detailer who can get access to one.

If I brought the car into a 'shop' (I leave that vague cause I don't know which to go to, body, detail, or some other type) .. and showed them that spot.. then maybe a few other spots that are smaller but similar and said could you 'buff that out' or whatever it takes.. Whatcha think it would cost me? And is that something that is 'possible' ?

Thanks
Old 02-18-08, 05:24 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Guitarman
You're going to need to step up to a paint safe solvent and hope for the best.
I had this in mind the second I saw it and then actually felt of it.. I didn't think a 'clay bar' would magically get this stuff off -- but I had never used one. So I never disband a suggestion if I've never tried it. (Plus I'll use the claybar all over the car in time).

If this is an epoxy road line paint, time is of the essence. If fairly fresh, it'll be easier.
I thought of that too. I do not know how long it has been there.. but from my own intuition,.. I would suspect years. It doesn't look new, and it is all up in the fender well of the passenger front and rear wells. I guess someone drove 'over' a big puddle of paint? Road paint? not sure.. Its not like it is 'smooth' this stuff sticks out like the spray ceilings that used to be common. Which can be good and bad I suppose. More bad than good (as it makes it THICK).

So let's assume it's been there a great deal of time.

5 Star products sells a canister of 'overspray wipes', I've never tried it, but I've see it in body shops. You might want to visit a paint supply store and ask about it or the equivalent.
Hrmm.. I'm a little hesitant about anything that has the name 'wipe' to take this off. lol -- But if it works it works.

If you can find it, try gasoline. You'll have to use a sponge to allow small areas to soak a bit. The gas won't hurt the factory paint-it will dull it slightly-but that can be polished up later.
Clever..

Gesalene? Isn't that the stuff they used to run automobiles with from dinosaurs? -- Maybe I can find some on ebay.

No really.. Believe it or not I've worked miracles with gasoline. I've freaked out some of my friends detailing cars before using it. When I was done they were extremely happy. I've basically coated an ENTIRE LS 400 as a matter of fact, white one,.. with gasoline. My trick is get it on, and OFF quick. Not like 3 seconds quick.. but under a minute type of stuff. Then I immediately follow it with my paste wax and so forth. (I always work in small areas, not dousing a car with gasoline like it is a bon fire hehehe..) -- But I really don't think gas is even going to get this off. I haven't tried because you guys seem to know a HECK of alot more than my simple intuition and experimentation has gotten me to this point. Also I do not want to proceed and do more harm than good. As is, worst case scenario it is in a location and pattern that makes it look like a usual 'dust' spot from normal driving.. nothing anyone would even really look at if looking over the car .. other than maybe saying "you have a little dust down there .." -- So it is perfectly good, undamaged, factory paint in the area.. I just need to take the right steps to get this junk off of it.

*I can't believe the owner of this car didn't immediately work on getting this off. I can see not noticing it the first day, but in a day or two.. telling her husband and him doing something about it.. But it is what it is.*

I know someone that WAS successful with gasoline on yellow road epoxy paint. It was a LOT of work though.
I am thinking this 'might' be some type of road paint.. Just trying to imagine how that got splashed on there like that. I imagine road paint is a very 'durable' paint as well.. (this paint feels almost rubbery if that makes sense.. but a VERY hard rubber, like little rocks embedded in the side of the car).

Last ditch solution; Try Lacquer thinner. This is riskier and although *most* cured urethane factory paint will easily tolerate it, you need to test it on the underside rocker part of the car, or somewhere else not visible. I myself used it to remove painted pinstripes on my GS400 years ago, with no ill effects.
I think that sounds like a solution.. if it pulled off painted pinstripes then it is in the arena of removing paint. I just have a feeling this paint on TOP of my good paint is more 'stout' than , well, the factory paint. So using a solvent and rubbing (time thing) it.. will eat up the factory before getting the bad stuff. (Due to the aforementioned fact and that it is , in some 'specs' twice as thick as the factory paint).

I wish I could just cover the affected area with it, so it could eat down to a certain level and I could 'stop' it. But it is little tiny specs so it is all but impossible to use a 'toothpick' and dot each spec with some chemical.

How exactly would you proceed with this idea? Like a little step by step, and *cautionary advice*

It's much stronger than gasoline at breaking down paint, but has some potential to break down certain paints (lacquer of course) and paint shop mixes, so use this as a last resort.
Ok I will do -- I wonder if a body shop would come out and take a glance and feel of it and recommend anything without being 'stuffy' or charging me.. or telling me some bs to get them to 'fix' it ..

I don't recommend wetsanding here because you'll take too much good paint away and might not get all the bad before you break through the clear.

Best wishes,
Yeah I'm just not sure here.. which is why I'm asking for all opinions.. But there HAS to be some clever way of getting this off without ending up ruining my paint and needing a respray.

Awesome advice man.. thanks.
Old 02-18-08, 05:25 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Armand
Oh, my favorite past wax is Natty's red paste AWESOME. I just tried it for the first time 4 weeks ago and it make the car look "wet".

Best all around wax but don't think it's available anymore is:

Yeah 'paste' that is the word for the kind of wax I like. I'll look into that brand,.. thanks!

I think the Meg 16 is still available in some form.. (I think there is a 16 product line that is just re'labeled).

Thanks,