Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Windshield.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-08, 05:01 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Windshield.

I haven't seen this topic too much (at all for me).

I have one little ding in my windshield, on passenger side from a rock I assume. It isn't cracking, and is about the size of say, half a nickle in length. A few mm's. Like the edge of your fingernail.

So it is very small, and the only reason I would want to do anything about it is to prevent it from becoming larger (spidering) etc.

What type of compound would you guys recommend to somewhat 'seal' this spot? I'm not after making it dissappear, I don't see how I could achieve that,.. but simply 'sealing' it where it won't spread. It can look the exact same as it does now when I done. Though I do not want to get something that I can make the window look worse with.

Hopefully not too expensive, and is just an easy application of say clean well, and squeeze compound on to windshield and work it into the 'pores' of the rock mark. I know something exists, just want to ask the 'community' at large.

*Edit: Also, would I apply this on the outside only? Or on outside and inside? -- I would imagine outside because that is obviously where the rock or object hit the window,.. but you never know.

Also, I have searched, I just prefer current answers for the specific size and characteristics of my windshield (very very minor)..

Thank you
Old 02-23-08, 05:47 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Most insurance companies will pay 100% to have this repaired. At the size and location you describe a simple repair should be easy. Don't let this go as that little chip will almost always extend to be a large stress crack. I've never encountered an insurer that would raise your rates for this repair claim. Have it done professionally and as soon as possible as if it gets worse a new OEM replacement windshield can easily top $1000.
Old 02-23-08, 05:51 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Well I know there are repair kits at autozone type stores for about 10$. Thing is I am with State Farm, and I have liability coverage only on my vehicle. So I wouldn't think they would repair the small crack/nick for free due to no comprehensive coverage.

Although if it doesn't matter, I'd love to have it done professionally and for free. I think alot of them come to you, and get done in under an hour..
Old 02-23-08, 05:52 AM
TheCoupe
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The insurance company is going to ask if the crack is bigger than a Dollar bill. Mine cracked and I opted to go through the insurace... List for my windshield is 1200.00. I strongly advise you check your Alabama state website to see what is the laws for your area.
Old 02-23-08, 06:55 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Neofate
Well I know there are repair kits at autozone type stores for about 10$. Thing is I am with State Farm, and I have liability coverage only on my vehicle. So I wouldn't think they would repair the small crack/nick for free due to no comprehensive coverage.

Although if it doesn't matter, I'd love to have it done professionally and for free. I think alot of them come to you, and get done in under an hour..
I'd still call them and see if they will cover it. Most insurance companies gladly pay for the repair and wave the deductible so that they don't get a huge replacement cost later. Although if your coverage is limited to liability you probably are out of luck. I believe you need comprehensive or collision coverage for this. Check what the pro repair cost is anyway. They need to drill out the chip/crack to relieve the stress and then fill the hole with a clear resin.
Old 02-24-08, 01:20 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

I think the repair would be about 30-50$ I'm sure.. Just at one of these stop in local fix it spots. I almost stopped yesterday at one I passedy by,.. but , well, I didn't. -- the crack was there when I got it, and I imagine it has been there for 5+ yrs.. I don't think it will spread, but I don't wanna take a chance either. The window is original, and is in good condition 'crack' wise .. Though it does have a bunch of small little white dots in the right 'light' in it. I suppose from age.. not sure.

As with most people I'd be afraid of a new windshield because of quality/noise. This is something that I can definitely live with, and I guess I'll forgo the DIY on this one, and just use a professional when I have an extra 50$ laying around =)