Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Question about cleaning my waxing pads/cloths/etc.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-08, 07:49 AM
Danimal
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about cleaning my waxing pads/cloths/etc.

What does everyone else use to clean their car towels? Eventually they build up dirt and or wax. What do I use to get that off? Or should I just invest in some new towels every so often?

I generally use terry cloth towels for my waxing etc., and I don't want it to absorb anything that'll hurt the paint further. The previous owner did a number on the paint and I just want it to not get any worse, not rich enough to afford new paint

I've heard not to use laundry detergent, nor dishsoap. So what does that leave? Should I just wash them in hot water?

-Dan
Old 02-23-08, 10:38 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I would just replace your dirty towels/rags as once they are used a bunch of times they collect dirt and other deposits that cannot be removed with just throwing them in the washer. These deposits will scratch your clearcoat everytime you use that towel or rag whether it be washing, adding/removing wax,drying. You will have to polish alot more often to get rid of all the swirls and scratches caused by the old rags when it would be easier just to replace them every so often with fresh new ones. You can still use the old rags to clean the bottom edges of the car that you don't see but collect alot of dirt and deposits and for wiping down the tires as you never want to use new rags for that if they will be used for the rest of the car. I would get some microfiber rags and towels as those are the best at preventing scratches/swirls, they are cheap so there is no point in using them over several years when they get dirty and beat up. Vickings mf at Kmart, Autozone, Oreileys are good over the counter microfibers, Vrooms from Target are decent. I got a pack of 12 for around $11 and a big drying towel for $11.

In between washings and waxings I just let the rags soak in a bowl of soap and wring them out a few times then I throw them in the washer with my other microfibers. Sometimes I will boil them in pot with a little soap in it to get out stubborn wax/polish. I inspect them before using on my car and if they have too many dirt stuck in them I either throw them away or put them in a bag labled to be used on parts I don't see like panels along under the car/wheel wells, tires, etc. They do have micro fiber soaps made for cleaning microfibers but I have not tried those.

Last edited by UDel; 02-23-08 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-18-08, 10:01 AM
techmech74
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Just wanted to respond to the Udel post.
I followed his advice on leaving my microfiber towels in a bucket of soapy,
boiled water for about 2 hours. Rinse well with hot water and repeat the process. Let the towels air dry and they're like new again for a few more
polishing and waxing jobs.
Thanks- techmech74