Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

NXT vs. NXT 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-08, 02:34 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Just finished polishing the GS a few hours ago... great shine!
Will be doing the LS soon.
Old 04-03-08, 12:05 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you guys are looking for something that last for about 1 year you should try Griot's Paint Sealant or the One - Step Sealant.
Old 04-03-08, 03:51 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Default NXT 2.0 Durability Update.

Now 14 weeks after application. This is not on a garage queen. I put on about 5k miles during this period. Lots of freeway driving in bad weather too. The paint still beads water like crazy, still feels slick to the touch, and still looks great after 2 Laser touchless washes, 4 hand washes and numerous rain showers. Not to mention the bugs. The bugs are much easier to rinse off the front of the car with just the pressure of the hose. Oh there is also the pollen, that rinses off easily as well.

So far I'm quite impressed by this products performance. I'll post more on this durability test in a few more weeks. If it get to 4 months and it still looks like it was just applied and feels slick to the touch, I'll be dumping all my other waxes.
Old 04-03-08, 05:26 PM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you need to put any sealants on after you wax?
Old 04-03-08, 05:43 PM
jfelbab

Originally Posted by ThoLe
do you need to put any sealants on after you wax?
Don't understand your question. If you are talking about NXT 2.0, it is a sealant.
Old 04-03-08, 07:00 PM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Don't understand your question. If you are talking about NXT 2.0, it is a sealant.
because some people said that you put on sealant after they waxed it so i thought they are 2 different products.
Old 04-03-08, 08:21 PM
jfelbab

because some people said that you put on sealant after they waxed it so i thought they are 2 different products.
As a group (wax and sealant) these Last Step Products (LSPs) are just that, the last step. Some like to top a sealant with a "pure" carnauba wax, (one with no cleaners) to achieve a slight color darkening and warm glow that is characteristic of a carnauba wax. Many of the newer sealants also have a darkening effect visually. This darkening is not really a physical darkening of the color but it seems that way due to the way the product reflects and refracts light.

I'm of the opinion that a sealant provides superior protection to most contaminants your paint will encounter. I have been known to add a coat of a carnauba wax just before going into the winter to add a slight bit more protection and to add a bit to the durability to last through the winter. Carnaubas, OTOH, seems to offer a slight bit better protection against bird bombs in my experience.
Old 04-03-08, 08:47 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As a group (wax and sealant) these Last Step Products (LSPs) are just that, the last step. Some like to top a sealant with a "pure" carnauba wax, (one with no cleaners) to achieve a slight color darkening and warm glow that is characteristic of a carnauba wax. Many of the newer sealants also have a darkening effect visually. This darkening is not really a physical darkening of the color but it seems that way due to the way the product reflects and refracts light.

I'm of the opinion that a sealant provides superior protection to most contaminants your paint will encounter. I have been known to add a coat of a carnauba wax just before going into the winter to add a slight bit more protection and to add a bit to the durability to last through the winter. Carnaubas, OTOH, seems to offer a slight bit better protection against bird bombs in my experience.
exactly. couldn't have explained it any better. carnuba is always a good last step if you are going thru the time to wash and polish.
Old 04-04-08, 06:08 AM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

NXT 1 or NXT 2.0 should protect your car's paint pretty good though right?
Old 04-04-08, 06:25 AM
jfelbab

NXT 1 or NXT 2.0 should protect your car's paint pretty good though right?
IMHO, NXT 2.0 is the best of the two but either will protect your paint well.
Old 04-04-08, 08:25 AM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

what would you recommend?
Old 04-04-08, 11:25 AM
jfelbab

what would you recommend?
As I stated earlier, I'm very impressed with the performance of NXT 2.0. I have given my old bottles of NXT 1.0 to friends and would recommend the 2.0 over the older 1.0 without hesitation.
Old 04-04-08, 12:00 PM
mikeh555
Pole Position

As I stated earlier, I'm very impressed with the performance of NXT 2.0. I have given my old bottles of NXT 1.0 to friends and would recommend the 2.0 over the older 1.0 without hesitation.
i second this ... the NXT 2.0 is by far the best of waxes ive tried from Meguiars
Old 04-04-08, 05:24 PM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

Thanks for your responses Jim.
Old 04-05-08, 03:43 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now 14 weeks after application. This is not on a garage queen. I put on about 5k miles during this period. Lots of freeway driving in bad weather too. The paint still beads water like crazy, still feels slick to the touch, and still looks great after 2 Laser touchless washes, 4 hand washes and numerous rain showers. Not to mention the bugs. The bugs are much easier to rinse off the front of the car with just the pressure of the hose. Oh there is also the pollen, that rinses off easily as well.

So far I'm quite impressed by this products performance. I'll post more on this durability test in a few more weeks. If it get to 4 months and it still looks like it was just applied and feels slick to the touch, I'll be dumping all my other waxes.
Thats good to hear. I applied mine only about two weeks ago and with the typical dirt, rain and now pollen, the car still has a shine to it. It's only when your up close you'll see some dried up pollen but from just a couple of yards away it looks fine. I haven't washed my car in two weeks because of the off and on rain lately but it still looks alright though.