Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Detail shop removed my paint! I'm sick ...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-08, 03:40 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Detail shop removed my paint! I'm sick ...

Ughh..

This has me with the sickest feeling. I took my car to a detail shop that was referred to me by a guy who does interiors.

I had another thread about how to get some paint splatter off my car,.. and I tried the claybar and so forth but it wouldn't budge. I decided to go take it to this shop to get the 'professionals' to do it. Right?

I come back 3 hours later and they RUBBED the paint off completely..

The guy (not from our country) who I spoke with said, I only charge you 30$. I was like, umm.. look guy,.. the paint is gone.

I spoke with the owner, and he was thankful I was patient, and they tried a little polishing etc but in vain. It isn't a huge spot, but there isn't anything you can do but respray the general area...

The owner knows a guy who does professional paint jobs for a dealership (no private customers) and got me in touch with him. Said he would give me the price he gives him. I figured ok, won't be so bad.

I go see him immediately for him to take a look at it and quote me. (I also happened to see a few of the cars that were coming out of the shop, they looked fantastic. (Apparently dealers get cars repainted and they look brand new.. obviously.. my point is it was very good work.).

The spot that is missing paint is the little lip in the wheel/fender wheel (next to the black.. ---

Then down on the trim on the very bottom extending from passenger front wheel well to half way down (Very bottom trim) to passenger rear wheel well the clear coat is rubbed off in spots.

These guys did this with a CLAY bar. 3 hours of claybarring and , ouch

The guy, Jerry, at the paint shop said the car looks great, etc.. (complimented me on the way the paint looked for a 94) -- Said the car was in good shape and if I decided I wanted to do this it wouldn't be in 'vain' so to speak. He didn't care if I did it or not, as this is sort of a favor to the other guy.. I'm sort of disrupting the traffic flow of the dealership cars who I'm sure pay them well.

Bottom line.. To fix the spot (RIGHT).. he is going to have to spray a decent size area.. to make it look right, where you can't tell it has been painted. I would say an area 6-7inches in height, and a few feet in width.. for a much smaller area missing paint.

He explained you can't just fill an area with paint because it is all but impossible to match 14yr old aged paint with a color mix.. (He's the pro..)

What hurts is he said his bottom line price would be $250.00 to do it. Ouch. I said, ok.. then while we were at it I showed him one other spot on the car.. (If I'm gonna spend 250$ to get that fixed right, then might as well fix the other oxidized spot that is showing a little primer.. (like a 2inch by 2inch spot on the bumber). He said well, while we have it mixed up, we can go ahead and tape off the top panel of the bumper and spray it for 50$. That sounds like a decent deal,.. because that spot is actually larger than the other.

So I'm forking over $300.00 Monday to get the top panel of the rear bumper sprayed, and the passenger side lower trim and inner wheel well panel area.

He said he could get it done quickly. Leave it Monday at 9am, pick it up at Noon the following day.

*From the other thread here are the pictures of the paint splatter (has been on there for years is my guess)*

** This is before I brought it to the shop to get the following splatter taken off **

--

Why does this make me feel so sick ?

Also, is $300 for such a job done 'right' ,.. about right? Or is that high ?

Would you have it done?

My only alternative is to A) leave it.. (can't live with that). B) get touch up paint and use gobs of it.. and then maybe get clearcoat and use gobs of it.. (I asked Jerry about using touch-up paint, and he said 1) The stuff you buy from an auto parts store etc, will do ok in a pinch on small nicks to keep them from rusting and making them look better .. but it will be a different color. He said I wouldn't be happy doing that.. -- I sort of figured that.).

He also walked around the car, and said while we have it in here we will also go around and use the paint we mix and touch up any of the little spots we see on it for no charge.

I know with paint shops it is a gamble,.. especially when they are doing 'sections' on older paint.

So I don't really want to go shop around for a lower quote, because I just don't feel like it would get done properly.

I will go take pictures of the area's I am talking about and post them back here.

Then maybe you guys can give me any advice, or just some condolences

*This more than ever leaves me to believe I just need to do everything on this car myself. Seems like everytime I let someone else do something on it (a pro) -- They end up screwing something up.

Thanks for reading my whine --
Old 02-28-08, 04:07 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

should got the detail shop to pay for it...their fault.
Old 02-28-08, 04:13 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Ok -- Here are the pics.

It was already getting dark, so it is very hard to tell anything other than the specific spot in the wheel well.. The clear coat is removed on down the panel as well, but can't get that shot at dusk

Shot of the bumper spot -- (They didn't do this, this is the 50$ to do entire top panel)
Old 02-28-08, 04:23 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
should got the detail shop to pay for it...their fault.
True -- but I'm not so sure it is going to be that easy. The paint was screwed up to being with,.. as you see from the shots in the original picture.

The owner was a good guy, but is getting a little old. They used a claybar as well, which shouldn't have pulled off paint. He mentioned that it was aged paint etc..

All I have are these before and after shots. -- How would you handle it.

When I spoke with the guy when I was leaving, I was like.. This should be something that would cost no more than 100$ to touch up right? -- He's like nah shouldn't be anymore than that.

I hate getting into hassles over this kind of who pays what. Already have another shop paying 100$ to repair a 1.5inch rip in the leather on the passenger seat. I am sticking it to them.. They did it,.. but the guy who did it is acting like a jerk -- I've had to personally go up there 3 times so far to get things straightened out for this '100$' fix.. He says he is paying for it out of pocket, so now I have him calling the interior guy with the 'go ahead' . It is just a huge ordeal trying to get places to own up to their mistakes.

Honestly, they should never have kept going the second the paint started coming off,.. should have just stopped and said we can't get it off -- No charge. But I think once they got there, it was too late.

Was this something that could have been removed without taking off paint? -- He said it was more like 'cement' on the paint than overspray type of paint. (Which I agree, it felt like rocks in the paint.. rubbery almost)

Don't get me wrong I don't want to pay the money. However sometimes just paying for it saves me a huge headache in the long run.

If you've got any bright ideas on how to approach this without that,.. I'm all ears.
Old 02-28-08, 05:57 PM
LRP_LS400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good luck with everything and hopes it comes out well.
Old 02-29-08, 05:26 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I realize how you feel about just paying for it to avoid a monumental hassle , but truly, the liability is on the detail shop. That's built into the decision making process in ATTEMPTING to fix the original issue, and the reason they (one hopes) have insurance. The state of the paint (if it was intact / all there) to begin with is immaterial. They caused damage due to ignorance/ unskilled labor/ fecklessness, end of story.

I hope you have it rectified to your liking, and it should be a lesson to all here that you ask any professional whether they have insurance if they screw it up, and WILL fall back on it if so.

Best wishes, let us know what happens.
Old 02-29-08, 12:43 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

*Edit -- Removed this post, to leave the update information below as response.

Thanks everyone for the good wishes.. I really think it will turn out better than I got it Tuesday. Especially since the bumper top panel is being painted, and touch up being done professionally.. I think the car will look as good as it possibly can without a full paint job.

Last edited by Neofate; 02-29-08 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-29-08, 01:46 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Ok I just got off the phone with the owner of the Detail shop.

First I asked if he would cover the damages, and said that I brought the car physically by the paint shop he recommended and was quoted $250.00 Minimum to repaint the area.

He said, well I consider what we did yesterday as 3 man hours which was $140. So I said "Well, the paint was removed".. and some other odds and ends. I was as nice as I could be, and he is a nice guy too.. (His name is Buddy)

Anyhow.. afterwords we simply came to an agreement. I told him the quote, and said that at minimum we needed to work out a compromise. He said he would cover half of the charge. I agreed, and he asked when was I going to get it done. I told him Monday, and he said he would give Jerry the money before Monday as he see's him almost everyday. I said, ok great, and we were pleasant about the transaction and the call was short and sweet.

I didnt' expect him to completely say sure I'll pay for it all.. Just go in and get it done. And I was really skeptical whether he would back up any of the damages. Though $125 is better than zero from a simple phone call. I won't go to any more hassle of trying to get the full amount. As the end result is going to be a much better look than what the car came in as, and what it ever would have looked like with proper removal of that paint. (IE: There were/are nicks scrapes and such in that area due to its location) -- With the paint job it will all be restored to new.

I am also as I mentioned going to get that bumper done while he has it there, since he is only charging $50.00 for the whole panel because the paint will be ready to go basically.

So I'm looking at about $125 out of pocket..

The detail shop lost 3 man hours + equipment (Polish/few claybars.. paying workers.. time involved in dealing with me) -- Plus now they are paying out $125 on top of that.

I honestly think that is pretty fair.

I know alot or all of you will say the shop is required to pay 100% of it, but for no more hassle than has occurred I am happy to deal with this 'compromise'.

That is the update, decent without headache? Or am I just being too nice and need to go down there and be ugly to him. (I'm not going to do that,.. not my style, and I do not think it would do any good.. and could possibly cause the job that would have been done on my car to be somewhat affected by their close relationship).

Take care,
Old 03-02-08, 02:34 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you were smart to convey that "nice' attitude. I don't think getting ugly initially serves any-one's purpose. If you're indeed satisfied with the bargaining, and you get a great final result, then move on and enjoy your car. But don't forget to tell your friends and family that this place has some inexperienced people doing 'paint problem solving' at their customer's expense..

Now, if HE got ugly in the face of your politeness and willingness to compromise (there are those out there who would not accept any compromise if something happened to their car-he should consider himself lucky to stay out of small claims court) THEN would be the time to be assertive and stand up for your rights.

Best wishes!
Old 03-02-08, 04:25 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Dan,..

The outcome, sigh, I hope is going to turn out like it is 'supposed to'. Have had a run of bad luck with the 'pro's' in various fields with the car so far.. Hopefully this place will do things right. I don't have any reason to think they wouldn't.. but you never know.

The attitude is just my personality -- I'm not for confrontation, everyone makes mistakes, and being a jerk about it isn't going to change the fact it is screwed up. Was I upset, of course.. but he knew I wasn't happy.. no one would be.

Yes, I am satisfied that he said he would pay half,.. It isn't *that* much money to me now, and it is in an area that would really look 'better' painted anyways. So ultimately the car is going to look better than it otherwise would have. The bumper is getting done as well,.. I wasn't going to get that painted.. sort of a live with it thing. But now it is just another '$50' on top of the $250 job.. so why not.

I have already told friends and family.. just the nature of the story -- No one is going to utilize that place that I know... but I'm not out to destroy the shops reputation, I'm sure they do great work most of the time.

You are absolutely right,.. alot of people wouldn't have been nice, or taken anything less than the owner paying 100% of the repaint.. Going to court over it, legal fee's .. and so forth.

My brother is a lawyer, and we already talked about it, I win if I wanted to go that route. It just isn't worth the hassle to me. After the numbers are crunched, it is about $100 out of my pocket (including the bumper getting painted) . That doesn't bother me like 300 and change would have.

See initially I didn't demand or ask for him to 'pay for damages ' on the spot. I was sort of shocked to be honest. I did ask who he knew that did good paint work (as he does alot of dealership vehicles).. (and I don't know any good paint shops, but one,.. and they charge about 3times the normal rate for their quality). He immediately went inside and called this guy who runs or owns the place and gave me his information on the back of one of his own business cards. I immediately went to let the guy see the car, and quote me a price (and time frame).

It wasn't until yesterday (day after) that I just figured,.. The guy was nice, but he needs to take a little responsibility for this. If he doesn't agree to pay for everything, which I doubt he is going to.. then maybe we can work a compromise... So I called,.. and a 6minute discussion turned into half cost paid. If I never called I would have never gotten the 50% off (so to speak).

It is all how you look at it. But absolutely, this is slam dunk case in a court of law.. if I felt I needed to hammer down a 'win' on principle alone.

As you say, provided the paint shop A) Does a good job, and B) Has it finished by Tuesday like promised,.. Then I'm happy. No hard feelings. Though I won't be stepping foot back into that detail shop again. Nor am I ever letting the car go to a detail shop again. These experiences have, unfortunately, really jaded me into only doing work myself on my car. Audio/electronic work, detail work, and even major engine/maintenance work. I just don't trust anyone more than I do myself at the moment. Now I can't paint the car -- It wouldn't be justified to learn how to do it right, buy the matierals, I suppose rent a 'booth?' and so forth.. I would most likely screw that one up pretty well

But with detailing, I'm learning every day.. My next detail purchase is a Rotary (PC type) -- Soon. Once I have that, and a few more products to go along with it, I will be fairly set in materials for keeping her looking good.

Maintenance, is all me. I'm still shaky on adjusting valves , or major internal work -- But I might just tackle that if need be. Just not sure,.. (Doesnt' need it right now.. but brakes/rotors/suspension/various mediocre difficulty work I can handle).

Guitarman, maybe you'll see my other post about the 'paint tips?' -- And can comment on anything I should heed with this 'paint job' .. (Really just a smallish area 1x3 or so getting sprayed by wheel well, and the upper panel on bumper + prof: touch up jobs where I would have used my touch up pen.) --

Thanks for the support,
Old 03-07-08, 11:40 AM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I honestly would bring a civil law suit against that company who did your detail. They are responsible for your car since you are paying them for their labor and professionalism. You should definitely have them pay for the damages. If they do not, bring it up to a court, and let them settle it.
Old 03-07-08, 12:49 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

sucks....but I hope everything will come out ok.....
Old 03-07-08, 02:02 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS400RcrX
I honestly would bring a civil law suit against that company who did your detail. They are responsible for your car since you are paying them for their labor and professionalism. You should definitely have them pay for the damages. If they do not, bring it up to a court, and let them settle it.
He's already compromised, and isn't paying for it fully out of pocket, AND is not paying for the 'detail' work. Not being greedy is the best way to handle it.
It's 300 for a touch up respray, the lawyer charges and court fees will cost more than that. Cut the loss and be done with it.

The guy was charging 140 for a detail, and the OP is now paying 125 for that detail to be resprayed.
Old 03-07-08, 06:48 PM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh Okay! Sorry, I think I missed that part. Make sure the color matches excellently. I had a SMALL paint job done on my rear bumper, the length of 4-6 inches across, and they charged me $160, and it looks like garbage. The color doesn't even match!! Ah well! lol
Old 03-18-08, 09:29 AM
Chris2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck and lemme know how it turns out. Post pics ( I know you will)

Quick Reply: Detail shop removed my paint! I'm sick ...