Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

easy spray on chrome wheel cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-08, 10:51 AM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

My wifes IS250 stayed pretty much dirty all winter long. The winter here in WI was horrible this year. Anyway, I washed the entire car this past weekend and the rims had a yellow/blackish stain on them I assume from the brake dust sitting on them for months. Wondering what I can use to remove the stains /brake dust residue?

I know people have sound some products that work much better than others.

Suggestions?

Thanks again,
Brandon
Old 03-10-08, 12:34 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

use Meguiar's All Wheel Cleaner.....
Old 03-11-08, 02:51 PM
carfenatti
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All,

I am new to the forum. I have tried so many wheel cleaners and have been disappointed with the results. But, I finally found the best wheel cleaner. Its called Brown Royal. I used it on my 99 GS400. I have the original clearcoated wheels. It cleaned the brake dust off the wheels and tires without scrubbing them. All I did was spray it on and hose it off. I did not harm my wheels at all. I found it online. The company that sells it is Flash detail products. They have a website www.flashwax.com. I am going to try some of thier other products too. I will keep you informed. Take care.

Joe
Old 07-24-08, 11:05 AM
ADAM P
Lead Lap

its a purpleish color and literally he doesnt touch the wheels at all no matter how dirty they are. he sprays it on, lets it sit a minute, then pressure washes it off with teh rest of the car. It takes everything off, even caked on brake dust, and they look brand new.
Old 07-24-08, 12:05 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

pressure wash? paint? i'll pass sorry man
Old 07-24-08, 12:43 PM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have always used foaming glass cleaner on my chrome wheels. It works great but you do have to wipe it off.
Old 07-24-08, 12:53 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,279 Likes on 1,385 Posts

Adam, do you have OEM or aftermarket wheels?

I'll never use the acid-based wheel cleaners on the HREs on my GS, but I have used them on the OEM 18's on my LS430. The one I've tried that's worked best actually came with a Lexus detail kit from Sewell Lexus (it's a branded Lexus product) and it works just like you described the stuff your detailer does.

Maybe some of our detail forum moderators / sponsors have some product recommendations for stuff more easily found.
Old 07-24-08, 02:56 PM
PaPaHoFF
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by excluesive
lol its safe to do! we just dont have many touchless car washes around here. I've done it on plenty of cars and never had a problem with one.
Old 07-24-08, 04:26 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Neofate
What are you going to do if you have a flat?

Also good topic,.. Would be nice to have a spray on , spray off brake dust eliminator , minus any scrubbing.

I find that from a 15minute drive I can run a towel around my front wheels and it will be filthy with brake dust. Maybe cleaning them well and sealing them will make some of it not 'stick' ?
eagle one all wheel and tire cleaner fellas. Takes dust and dirt off wheels and removes grime from tires that you didnt know was even there.

no, i don't sell the stuff but i'm a firm believer in it after using it numerous times myself.

and its pretty cheap too, gray spray bottle, kinda foams up when you spray it on. Pressure washer gets it off nicely but any hose nozzle that has a good amount of pressure should do it as well.
Old 07-24-08, 05:56 PM
ADAM P
Lead Lap

seriously? it would take some serious pressure to start ripping paint off. about ten years ago i had my car @ the local car wash and tried rubbing off a spot while the water was on it and my skin came right off my hand but ive never had an issue with paint.

Dave I have 20" Zenetti Heirs, a full face chrome wheel.

I guess its a combo of dirt/dust that im trying to remove easier in between details. ill see him again this week and fight for the ingredients
Old 07-25-08, 03:16 AM
morgan06
Rookie

As long as you're not using a 4500PSI pressure washer intended for cleaning concrete, or spraying a freshly hacked together paint job- it's perfectly safe. Personally I use a pressure washer rated for 1800PSI @ 1.5GPM with the regulator turned down a half turn and it's still plenty of power.

Additionally, it sounds like the detailer is using an acid or corrosive based cleaner. I second the suggestion of Meguiar's Wheel Brightener, I generally use it on nasty factory wheels and it is strong- follow the dilution recommendations and directions.
Old 07-25-08, 09:31 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by ADAM P
its a purpleish color and literally he doesnt touch the wheels at all no matter how dirty they are. he sprays it on, lets it sit a minute, then pressure washes it off with teh rest of the car. It takes everything off, even caked on brake dust, and they look brand new.
Sounds like Meguiars Wheel Brightener. That stuff can eat through anything and happens to be purple too, but it is really strong and burns if the wind changes direction while you're spraying the rims down.
Old 07-25-08, 10:41 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Yea, it's important to get the dilution rate of at least 4:1 when mixing otherwise your wheels will be in for a surprise

Meguiars wheel brightener ftw on OEM wheels as long as they're not exposed to bare metal.

For my oem chrome wheels, water and car wash soap suffice.
Old 07-25-08, 07:11 PM
CWS
Lead Lap

About a year ago, I let the Lexus dealer in Austin wash my IS350, and it came back with bad stains on the chrome wheels. I have no idea what they used on them. No amount of soap and scrubbing would remove them, but the other day I used Mother's Chrome Polish on them, and now they look better than new (except for the curb rash)!
Old 07-25-08, 07:37 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

never dull chrome polish works awsome... I used it on my IS300 tail pipe and it made it look like brand new chrome. it does require some work but does wonders. comes in a little silver can.

Quick Reply: easy spray on chrome wheel cleaner?