Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How much wax?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-08, 11:29 AM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How much wax?

how often are you suppose to wax? Someone told me twice a year. I was going to do it like every 2 weeks.
Old 03-07-08, 11:37 AM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I often do it roughly 3 times in a year. Once for the winter, and twice through out the spring, summer, fall area.

The key is to wax after a wash, and the next morning, apply a very thin coat to go over
Old 03-07-08, 12:42 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

3-4 times a year is good....

if u want to keep your car in excellent condition....once a month is sufficient enough?
Old 03-08-08, 01:54 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I used to wax the Soarer once, maybe twice a month. But as of recent it hasn't seen a good detail for the past 3 or 4 months or so.
Old 03-08-08, 05:32 AM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

You really cannot over wax. I usually do it every two to three months. Twice a year is probably not quite often enough. Even the best waxes have given up most of their protection in that time frame. I'd recommend every three months as a minimum. If the car is outdoors 24/7 you should consider every month or two the minimum.

Of course, a lot depends on how **** you are about driving a spotless shiny car. I personally can't stand to drive a dirty vehicle. I wash weekly or more often if it get dirty sooner. I wax every couple months. I use a gloss enhancing quik detailer (UQD) after every wash. I dress the trim and rubber every couple weeks. I clean and condition the leather every month. I do a full detail (wash, clay, polish, wax) every three to four months.
Old 03-08-08, 11:24 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Yup.. that is the trend.

So many people will take great care of their 'new' ride for X months, maybe a year. Then it sort of goes to the way side.. if it gets really dirty, its like.. bah.. it can go another day, and so on. Then eventually it'l go to a carwash place and get a decent wash and vacuum, but no wax job. So, alot of vehicles will go years without fresh wax on them. Garage kept is the only way the paint will remain decent looking if it has been that long.. even then you will have some areas that really break down after X years.

That is the reality of long term between waxing.

You are not on that page, but it puts things into perspective.

To make it simple -- I would recommend to Wax the car at least everytime your get your oil changed. (Unless you drive 500 miles a day) -- Time frame,.. every 3 months, as has been said.

Pretty much any wax will stay fairly fresh (as applied) for about a month.. then trail off from there. (I'm including 3$ waxes and 50$ waxes) -- So to take the whole argument of how long will X wax/sealer hold up/durability -- Just do it well before the time it 'might' fade.

Jfelbab said it well,.. you cannot 'over-wax' -. Sure there is 'wax - buildup' -- But I'm not so sure how much that applies with the newer nano tech. products. Even then it isn't harming the paint, the result just might not be as good as if you removed the previous.

Personally -- I don't mind waxxing the car like I'm washing it. It takes a little time, but it isn't *that* hard. The wash the car is the fastest for me.. Just gentle rub most of it, and scrub a little harder by wheel wells, and other areas that are in direct contact with the road elements.. then rinse/dry.

So then I'll usually just grab the wax, and go to town. I put wax on thick.. thicker than is necessary, I suppose in my mind I'm treating paint as if it were a sponge.. but it isn't so much. -- Applying wax too thick has no ill effects aside from waste, and making it more difficult to remove.

Anyhow.. while the wax is hardening, and 'soaking in ' I will move on the interior and do a vacuum and the broad clean up. (I might let the wax sit for an hour) -- Then I'll remove it to the ever so smooth feel.. love that feel. -- And go on with 'the detail parts' of the interior and exterior. Cracks/seams/windows/mirriors/rain-x/dash/weatherstripping/tires etc etc.

Again though back to your basic question --

Twice a year will keep an average car in decent shape .. (Its, quite frankly, more than most people do) - But 4 times a year will ensure the paint is always protected.

You indicated you were thinking every 2 weeks.. If you want to wax your car twice a month -- more power to ya. It certainly will not hurt, and you will remove more contaminates that way than you would just washing it.
Old 03-09-08, 04:40 PM
rfx45
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By waxing, do you guys mean just applying wax after a wash or does it include a full detail like wax stripping, claying, polishing then waxing?
Old 03-09-08, 04:49 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by rfx45
By waxing, do you guys mean just applying wax after a wash or does it include a full detail like wax stripping, claying, polishing then waxing?
Just washing, drying and waxing. A full detail includes wash, clay, polish, glaze and wax along with interior, tires and trim. I do full details every 3-4 months depending on the paint condition.
Old 03-09-08, 04:57 PM
flipicanez
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on the wax and what you are trying to achieve.

Just before it gets too cold before winter : I give the car a good coat of 3M. It lasts the longest and the car will stay beading all winter long which for Chicago this can be from October to April.

When spring sets in : I wash the car with dish washing liquid to remove all the old wax. Then follow it with a clay bar and polish. I get on a coat of 3M then some Meguiers Gold Class Liquid Wax to enhance the shine.

Monthly : I follow up every month with another coat of Gold Class after clay-baring the car. The clay bar takes the contaminants out while cleaner wax will have some left over on the surface.

Meguier's Gold Class = Great Shine
3M Wax = Durable but not as shiny, great first layer for protection.

But it seems you are in Dallas / Fort Worth area, so winter shouldn't be too much of an issue.
Old 03-22-08, 10:24 PM
Busa Dave
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I try to wax with #26 once a month at least and they always looks new! This is with all of my vehicles including my daughters 08 IS AWD. I am in Colleyville.