Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Is it even possible?! (to avoid getting swirl marks)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-08, 02:13 PM
LexInTex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it even possible?! (to avoid getting swirl marks)

To avoid getting those damn swirls when you wash/dry your car? My IS250 is Obsidian Black and man under direct sunlight you can see them. On a cloudy day you can never tell they're there but right now that its super hot and sunny out its really obvious

It just sux cuz its only my 2nd carwash and I can already see them. I know its going to be more obvious/annoying on a black vehicle but yeah I guess Im just venting.

I dry it with the Absorber but now thinking twice. I feel like Im going to have to polish it already. Wasnt expecting to do that this soon but hey it doesnt hurt.
Old 03-07-08, 02:15 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

wax
Old 03-07-08, 02:21 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to reccomend using a good polish, then use Zymol wax, The wax that is blue and smells like a tropical drink. It works great on black. I am not sure how much swirles you have, but you may have to use clay.
Old 03-07-08, 02:25 PM
triple_c
Pole Position

What do you use to wash/wax? I use a wool wash mit to wash and haven't noticed any swirls unless I look closely. Also I completely rinse my mit clean before sticking it back into my soapy water bucket.
Old 03-07-08, 02:28 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

you need to polish your car.....check out the detailing section......

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=122
Old 03-07-08, 02:32 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I feel your pain! Black and Chicago??? what was i thinking!! lol...i love black cars but man it needs a good detail when it warms up. looks good when its clean doesnt it!!

I take mine to someone to have it done. But you can polish it and i suggested a water blade for drying it off. i cant recall where i got it from but it helps out. no towels or anything to dry it off.
Old 03-07-08, 02:33 PM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure if this will help, but when you use anything on your car try wiping in straight lines. That way, if you get scratches they won't be circular. IMO, straight lines are harder to see...
Old 03-07-08, 02:34 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian231
I would like to reccomend using a good polish, then use Zymol wax, The wax that is blue and smells like a tropical drink. It works great on black. I am not sure how much swirles you have, but you may have to use clay.
Clay will only take away surface continmation.....will not fix the swirl unless you polish it with a PC........

I used Zymol before with my "Blackcurrent" Accord V6....

Used NXT wax last year with the IS, works even better than Zymol....

Switched to NXT 2.0 last week, even better than the original NXT !
TLP_IS350
Pole Position

i use mr clean auto dry it works! i only used the mit once that came with the starter kit. i usually use a wash brush thingy looks like a pushbroom but its meant for scrubbing cars. mr clean auto dry cleans great then you can just use the auto dry mist and mist your car. pull it in the garage and the next morning you'll wake up to a beauty. you dont have to wipe it dry and it also doesnt leave waterspots
LexInTex
Driver School Candidate

I was given a bottle of "Adams Car Wash Soap" It works pretty good. I have not waxed it yet but I'm gonna go ahead and do so this weekend; along with a polish. Thanks for the tips so far.
Old 03-07-08, 02:51 PM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

thats the price we pay for blk cars. but dym do they look sexy! a wax will take alot of fine scratches away, but not all. Unless u go thru the who detail process and spend a good amount on the right products.
Old 03-07-08, 02:53 PM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

NXT is some good stuff and it smells good too hahah not that im sniffing on it but you smell it when ur applying your coats.
Old 03-07-08, 03:05 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

NXT is good stuff.

But Zaino is even better.

I had a black car for 5 years before my dark blue IS, Zaino a few times a year and it looked like a mirror.
Old 03-07-08, 03:31 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Dude! I feel ya! I have had my black beauty for about three months now, and now that it's starting to get sunny...I have noticed the swirlies on my car. I am very picky about taking my car in the drive-thur wash (with brushes), and I asked my lexus dealer not to wash my car b/c they use the drive-thur wash. I think I got mine from drying off with towels??? Black looks sooo awesome when it's cleaned up though!
Old 03-07-08, 05:10 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Welcome to "Black Hell"

Swirls are difficult to keep at bay especially with a black car. Washing or waxing with strokes in one direction doesn't work. You will still see the circular swirl patterns. The circular look comes either way.

What I do is to wash with a high lubricity car wash and measure the soap ratio exactly. I use new sheepskin wash mitts and gently wash the car. I machine wash the mitt after every use and replace it every quarter. I use an older mitt to do the lower body panels and an even older mitt for wheels. The car should be washed when the paint is cool and in the shade. Use the two bucket method with grit guards. Never scrub the paint to remove stubborn soiled spots. Revert to clay after washing to take care of that. Dry using the low pressure water sheeting method then gently blot the remaining water with a new or very clean and soft waffle weave micro fiber towel.

Anything that touches your paint can potentially leave a swirl. Some wax products hide these swirls and can make your car look perfect for a few weeks. I find that products like NXT 2.0 seem to hide swirls better than most. Polishing with an abrasive polish will remove the swirls but unless you hone your washing and drying technique this is not a good solution as they will quickly return and you will be polishing every couple weeks.

I'll never own another black car.

Quick Reply: Is it even possible?! (to avoid getting swirl marks)