Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Fading Clear Coat On Bumper - Cheap Quick Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-08, 05:27 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fading Clear Coat On Bumper - Cheap Quick Fix?

Fading Clear Coat On Bumper - Cheap Quick Fix?

Hey guys, the upper portion rear bumper has been fading gradually over the past year or two and it is now becoming a major eyesore.

Since I want to get a 97+ bumper down the road, I do not want to waste any money into fixing it. What is the easiest DIY remedy to this?

Since rubbing compound doesnt work, I am thinking of wetsanding it the faded white portions with 2000 grit sandpaper, clear coat it, wet sand it smooth and then compound it.
Old 03-11-08, 05:33 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw on Soft99 that they have this weird paint/wax thats color matched to a car. It was in red too. Maybe that would be a good alternative? Iono for sure since it was mainly used to fill in the swirls in the paint permanently almost so it might be a good choice. I'd wait for other people to chime in before buying one though
Old 03-11-08, 05:45 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The clear coat on those affected areas are done. The color of my car rubs right on to the towel when compounding
Old 03-12-08, 06:28 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen this question so many, many times over the years, and always feel bad not to be able give some easy -cure advice...

The color wax will not help, barely a small degree, because one, the color won't match enough to not stick out as much as the white failed area, and two, even IF the wax color matched the paint, it sits ON the paint unevenly and can't penetrate INTO the specific area, the (failed area) surface isn't porous to that extent, and will look splotchy at best, AND transparent (you'll still see some whitish areas).

For DIY...At best, you can buy some 2 step dupli-color spray matched for your color code, and the clear topcoat companion spray paint, and try to ghost the color coat in to that one area. Then spray the clear in a similar way, except the clear will not melt into the existing clear and will only (literally) sit ON it, and you'll see an edge, and dullness where you end the blend of clear.

You'll be trading one issue for another.

I would take it to a shop and spend about $200-$250 and have it done right. Before it gets too bad, unless you have the time, experience and tools to do it in the same manner as the body shop would.

The bad area has to be feathered, then spotted/blended with base color, then the entire bumper has to be clear coated.

Sorry the news is so hard to swallow.It is indeed "paint death" when this begins to occur.

Good luck.
Old 03-12-08, 09:27 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I've got no advice to offer, but I feel your pain. My clearcoat has decided to pack it in. Time for paint!
Old 03-12-08, 10:11 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I concur with Guitar -- I had the exact problem on my bumper panel. I had some other paint work to be done for 250$ on a fender well area.. and they offered to respray the panel for $50. So I took it. Money well spent.

There isn't really anything you can do (unless you are a pro with the tools/chemicals) that will make it look better than it does. It plain and simple needs paint,.. and it is very hard to match aged/worn paint. The factory color is no longer the color of that bumper, sadly =/

You could probably get it done for 200$ properly.. Though if that is more than your willing to spend, maybe you could do some preventative maintenance to keep it from becoming worse than it already is. I would go with the clearcoat alone which as Guitarman explained won't look perfect.. but it will keep the underlying wear from getting worse.

Maybe you can clear it, and then smooth the new clear down as best you can.