Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

"Auto Armor" paint protection for $399

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-08, 11:12 AM
YWW
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Question "Auto Armor" paint protection for $399

Just bought a new RX and naturally the dealer told me to seriously consider this "revolutionary" paint sealant from Auto Armor that contains DuPont's PTFE which will be warranted for 7 years without ever needing to wax and besides the flyer says it protects against all sort of stuff acid rain, road salt, tree sap, bird doodoos, .... and ultra violet rays. They said the cost is $399. The interesting thing is from the Auto Armor website it says the paint sealant with PTFE is only good for up to 6 months which tells me the dealer will likely have to reapply every 6 months (our salesman never mentioned about this and in fact he said this sealant would last forever).

Naturally when you purchase a new vehicle, you like to really pamper and care for it and hopefully it'll shine for a long time. My question is has anyone on this forum ever purchased this Auto Armor paint protection from their dealer and if so, what are your conclusions. I'm enquiring because I'm inherantly "lazy" in waxing especially after the vehicle gets a few miles on it after a year or more and if this paint protection really works and eliminates any more waxing for the next 5 to 10 years, it may be worth to me to have it on. Of all the current and previous Lexus' I have ever had, I have never used this or equivalent products and just used the conventional paste or wax the first couple of years of ownership. I know the dealer profit on something like is HUGE since a local detailing shop has the same thing offered for a lot less but I just want to find out whether this stuff really works or not. Your thoughts please.
Old 03-16-08, 02:33 PM
jfelbab

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Typical salesman cliche. "There's one born every minute," mentality.

This is nothing but a $400 coat of sealant. Something you can buy for less than $20. You do need to reapply any wax or sealant if you want your paint to look good over the years.

I'd ask your salesman if you look like you just got off the boat. This is a scam, an insurance scam really. After a few years when your paint begins to look poorly they will tell you that you failed to reapply as directed in the very small print.

Pocket that $400 and take care of your paint yourself. Actually for $400 you can buy a polisher and all the products you will need to keep your car looking like new for it's life.
Old 03-16-08, 05:20 PM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by YWW
Just bought a new RX and naturally the dealer told me to seriously consider this "revolutionary" paint sealant from Auto Armor that contains DuPont's PTFE which will be warranted for 7 years without ever needing to wax and besides the flyer says it protects against all sort of stuff acid rain, road salt, tree sap, bird doodoos, .... and ultra violet rays. They said the cost is $399. The interesting thing is from the Auto Armor website it says the paint sealant with PTFE is only good for up to 6 months which tells me the dealer will likely have to reapply every 6 months (our salesman never mentioned about this and in fact he said this sealant would last forever).

Naturally when you purchase a new vehicle, you like to really pamper and care for it and hopefully it'll shine for a long time. My question is has anyone on this forum ever purchased this Auto Armor paint protection from their dealer and if so, what are your conclusions. I'm enquiring because I'm inherantly "lazy" in waxing especially after the vehicle gets a few miles on it after a year or more and if this paint protection really works and eliminates any more waxing for the next 5 to 10 years, it may be worth to me to have it on. Of all the current and previous Lexus' I have ever had, I have never used this or equivalent products and just used the conventional paste or wax the first couple of years of ownership. I know the dealer profit on something like is HUGE since a local detailing shop has the same thing offered for a lot less but I just want to find out whether this stuff really works or not. Your thoughts please.
Two words---Horse *****.
Old 03-16-08, 05:32 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 to the polisher idea. Sides, Zaino is a very very good sealant that lasts that long anyway. Its much cheaper too. It just takes patience to do it thats all. Keep the money, buy a polisher+pads+polish, and get some Zaino to protect it yourself
Old 03-16-08, 10:39 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Typical salesman cliche. "There's one born every minute," mentality.

This is nothing but a $400 coat of sealant. Something you can buy for less than $20. You do need to reapply any wax or sealant if you want your paint to look good over the years.

I'd ask your salesman if you look like you just got off the boat. This is a scam, an insurance scam really. After a few years when your paint begins to look poorly they will tell you that you failed to reapply as directed in the very small print.

Pocket that $400 and take care of your paint yourself. Actually for $400 you can buy a polisher and all the products you will need to keep your car looking like new for it's life.
My uncle got this process done to his RX350....I bought him a bottle of meguiars synthetic sealant for X-mas
Old 03-17-08, 08:48 AM
YWW
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by tuan92129
My uncle got this process done to his RX350....I bought him a bottle of meguiars synthetic sealant for X-mas
Tuan, how does your uncle like this Auto Armor paint protection so far? Why would you give him this Meguairs sealant if the Auto Armor was already doing the trick? I'm looking for something to save me from waxing. BTW, the dealer told me this Auto Armor requires annual reapplication.
Old 03-17-08, 09:03 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by YWW
Tuan, how does your uncle like this Auto Armor paint protection so far? Why would you give him this Meguairs sealant if the Auto Armor was already doing the trick? I'm looking for something to save me from waxing. BTW, the dealer told me this Auto Armor requires annual reapplication.
I'm thinking that the Meguairs was a sarcastic gift. Why spend $300-400 with every reapplication when you can go to your local parts store and pick up a bottle for $5?

Save you're money...
Old 03-17-08, 10:13 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

waste of $$$....just get yourself some wax and done!
Old 03-17-08, 10:32 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

400 bucks huh?

try calling around a few places in your area for clear bra work. i believe $400 is about halfway to getting a REALLY REALLY good clear bra job done on the car.

Here's a direct link: http://www.clearbrafilms.com/missouri

For $400, you should at least be able to get the bumper, the front 1/4 section of the hood, and maybe the front sections of the fenders done. For 800-1000, possibly the whole hood and maybe the whole front fenders?

Also, I suggest getting a strip put onto the top of the rear bumper to prevent scratches when you slide groceries or other things in and out of the back.

Good luck!

Clifford
Old 03-17-08, 11:09 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can buy sealer for $40 (and that's on the expensive side) a nice porter cable orbital and spend a nice relaxing sunday afternoon taking care of it yourself. And you'll have all the stuff to do it again every 6 mos (or 1 year for some sealers).
Old 03-17-08, 10:34 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I already read about the teflon paint sealant scams the dealer offers, but he got the paint fabric and leather protection as an incentive. I told him to do the clear bra instead, but yeah... I also told him to ask the dealer about the need for reapplication...they said he can come in if "anything happens to the paint....bird poo..surface contaminents.." I doubt they will reapply the teflon coating.
The car is too new to see any difference..the dealer said not to use any polish on it (that means it isn't that durable ) The leather also feels a little dry.
Oh Yeah i got him the sealant so that he could put that on top of the armor all... (he waxes all his cars 3x's per year)
Old 03-18-08, 12:51 AM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
You can buy sealer for $40 (and that's on the expensive side) a nice porter cable orbital and spend a nice relaxing sunday afternoon taking care of it yourself. And you'll have all the stuff to do it again every 6 mos (or 1 year for some sealers).
Unless the backing plate melts or you run out of polish then you'll take that long. I have a write-up coming up soon. Finally...haha...I'm sure a couple people remember my past threads
Old 03-18-08, 02:19 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

buy a clear bra for that money
Old 03-18-08, 02:57 PM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

The $300 - $400 usually covers the maintenance of the system as well, which is just another application. The problem, or benefit for the dealer, is that once you miss a scheduled maintenance then the system is void, and I bet the % of people that never come back is in the 90%-99% range. Even the best sealants on the market may last 6 months but you'll still get swirls if you're not washing correctly and those should be polished away before the sealant is re-applied.

If you don't have the time or desire to do it yourself find a quality detailer and spend the $200 once a year to have it done right.
Old 03-18-08, 04:01 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

All good advice, but you don't want to wax your vehicle yourself or do anything. You want the easy way out. Which is fine.

This is what I'd recommend. Inform the salesman of how big of an idiot he is with facts, not with childish antics. Or just ignore it.. your choice

Then..

After getting the car,.. put some good light on it,.. and inspect for swirls/marrs -- Often has this from factory washes/dealer washes. If it has these,.. take it to a GOOD detailer in town. Ask him questions on products his methods and such. Tell him your intentions are that this is a brand new car, its clean obviously,.. You want paint correction done.. (Minor) -- Just to rid it of the swirls and marring from the machine/dealer washes. You also want a sealant applied. Basically the car is new so it doesn't require much to get it looking as best as possible, then you want it to be as protected for as long as possible.

Something around 180-250$ is about right.

If the guy knows his stuff , sounds like it, take it.. and let him have the car for a day.

Now your good to go. Bring the car back to the guy every 6 months..

So about $200 twice a year will keep you from having to ever wax/seal/polish your car.

If you can handle washing the car yourself, your in good shape. If you can't,.. well, expect more marring from machine washes or the 'carwash headquarters type of places'.

Only way you can prevent swirls and marring is to wash yourself with the proper wash material, and microfiber wash mitts/applicators/brushes. Then just as important the way you dry.

I recommend sheeting the water off with your garden hose ,.. let it start from the top and move the volume of water to allow it to sheet the majority of the water off. Then the excess use a California Water Blade to wipe the rest off. (It's like the backend of a window cleaner, but better). This won't make any marks. Finally, take a good microfiber towel and get the remaining 1% of water (this will take maybe 1 minute of wiping).

No water spots, no scratches.

The wash process and drying might take you 20-30minutes. Do as needed of course.

Also any bird droppings or tree sap get off as soon as you see it. I carry quick detailer in my trunk and a few microfiber towels for this purpose. That stuff is acid , and it takes a few squirts and a wipe to get that off.

Just some general tips.. Again, finding a 'good' detailer in your area is key.

If you lived close to me I would do your car for 100$.. Since I'm new to the game.. but check the regional forums and see if you can find one on here. if not,.. go to autopia.org and ask for a detailor in your area. You should be able to find one, or someone who can find one for you by reference. They will be able to take care of you.

Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: "Auto Armor" paint protection for $399