Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Got a new toy !!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-08, 01:25 AM
19ES250
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got a new toy !!

So i have never owned a PC, but have owned quite a few random orbital polisher in my day so i was finally sick of not getting the results i was wanting so i went on a trip down to my local Harbor Freight.

On my troll through the electric isle i come along one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...=105&pricetype

I picked it up looked at it then grabbed the box and walked to the Porter Cables and compared, It is the same weight as the PC and feels the same in my hands and for 1/5 the price could i really put this thing back? NO...

Took this sweat little baby home and took her for a test drive, and all i have to say is WOW!! talk about results, i just used this thing on my CF hood (had some pretty large swirl marks on there) and removed them without even blinking an eye. Moved on to doing the whole car and it is amazing. I am getting great results and it never overheated or bogged down once. This is probably the best $20 you could possible spend. I would highly recommend this to anyone that can't fork out the $100+ for a porter cable.

I give it two thumbs up Great job Chicago Electric
Old 03-18-08, 02:26 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what are the differents with the chicago and the makita or hitachi rotary??
Old 03-18-08, 06:48 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by radicalrev
what are the differents with the chicago and the makita or hitachi rotary??
One word...Quality.
Old 03-18-08, 07:18 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was looking at that as well. Being a college student, forking up over $100 on a polisher isnt easy haha.
Old 03-18-08, 07:38 AM
tcrow31
Pole Position

My experience with Chicago Electric tools is they usually last about a year maybe more, but for 20 bucks for one year use isnt bad really.
Old 03-20-08, 01:00 AM
rocker44
Rookie

does it have random orbit or it is rotary??? cos as i know rotary buffer is not good rite??
Old 03-20-08, 01:17 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

rotary buffer is good..in fact very very good....you are capable of correcting a much higher level of correction than a RO such as the PC or other DA....but each have their pros and cons...rotary is not as forgiving as the random orbit...can burn paint if you don't know how to use it....
Old 03-20-08, 02:21 AM
rocker44
Rookie

really? then what should i go for? the random orbit or thi rotary one? i am not professional though. i just wanna get something that i can use to wax and polish my car.
Old 03-20-08, 03:07 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

should get the Dual Action Polishers... such as PC7424/G100 or G110 or UDM..any of them will take care of your car just fine...after you handle the DA well, you can eventually sell it and step up to a rotary....but for a starter, definitely recommend a random orbital one...
Old 03-20-08, 08:16 PM
rocker44
Rookie

how about the one that 19ES250 just got above?? cos those PCs are kind expensive for me. if that Chicago has random orbit then it's gonna fit my need, is it?
Old 03-20-08, 09:44 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Is this a RO or rotary? I sorta spent too much out of my college student budget on a PC kit. If its a rotary I may check it out
Old 03-21-08, 12:16 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What pads did you use?
Old 03-21-08, 01:12 AM
19ES250
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Is this a RO or rotary? I sorta spent too much out of my college student budget on a PC kit. If its a rotary I may check it out
It is a rotory !!! I can't put the thing down i was almost late to work cause i was playing with it

Originally Posted by xknowonex
What pads did you use?
I looked all over for Orange county pads (i don't like to purchase things online, make me nervous) but i couldn't find them so i ended up just using some off brand foam and terry pads that i found at Schucks Autoparts. They are not the best pads but they do the job.

So far i have gone over my car four times (Fine cut and scratch, Polisher, Glaze, sealant) without any troubles. Tomorrow comes NXT 1.0, Then some zymol, then a coat of Mothers pure carnauba then a once over with some Mothers showtime. then she goes back under the carcover in the garage all nice and toasty

I was gonna take some pictures of the results but i couldn't put the darn thing down.

Again if you a College student (like myself) I feel this is a great alternative to a PC and I am pretty sure you will not be disappointed, just start slow, on a flat surface and keep it moving.
Old 03-21-08, 06:24 AM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a friend of mine that bought 2 of them, one for his home, one for his shop. He knows the quality isn't quite at the top, but only uses such a tool occasionally, and for that type of use, it will work fine.

When you are using a tool daily, or even every weekend, you then are better served to buy a Makita, DeWalt, Porter Cable etc. because they will take a daily workout and not burn up, and be typically better balanced and have smoother motors. The latter has a great effect on user fatigue, but then, if you don't use it much... not too big a factor.

But, for many novice users, this is a good value (as are many of Harbor Freight's tools), as long as all this is taken into account.

Sometimes build quality matters most, sometimes less so.

It's good to have choices.
Old 03-21-08, 12:48 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Sweet. I guess I'll have a look at this soon =)

Do you have any pics E250?

Quick Reply: Got a new toy !!