Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

leather conditioning (2nd gen IS)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-08, 07:33 AM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tracerit
does the steering wheel end up being shiny though?
the steering wheel doesn't end up behiny shiny, no. it always keeps its matte finish unless you put on a conditioner that leaves a shiny finish on it. the meguiar's stuff i used simply darkens the leather for a newer look (as my leather was slightly fading from everyday driving)
Old 03-19-08, 08:30 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the Lexus leather cleaner and conditioner on the steering wheel and seats. It works very well and worth the $9 from the dealer per bottle. I also bought the vinyl protectent spray and it is the best i have ever used besides the Zymol vinyl protect in the small white bottle. The Lexus brand leaves the car smelling like cherries for a bit and it easy to apply. As for any product, the best way to apply to allow full absorbtion is when the interiro is warm or in the sun. You will not allow the product to absorb in colder weather and especially when temps are below zero, but who would want to clean their car anyway in those temps (LOL).
Old 03-19-08, 09:25 AM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
well i could... why like pics? not cheep you know say... a fully painted JP bodykit should be worth pics of me
I will do it for some 20"s!!!
Old 03-19-08, 09:57 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I use a conditioner but with today's leather having a vinyl coating,the conditioner doesn't get to the leather.

Leather care
There has been a change in the manufacturing of leather in recent years, which can require a different approach as far as it’s care is concerned and it applies to MOST leathers made for U.S. made cars. This change is a clear vinyl coating over the leather as a finish. There are exceptions as to which car companies use this, so later I’ll give a test to perform to determine exactly which you may have. My SC has clearcoated leather, but Ford is liable to have changed back and forth for all I know, so I hate to assume.

One thing you DON’T want to put on your leather regardless of the type is saddle soap. Believe it or not , saddle soap is not good for today’s leathers. It is alkaline , and alkalinity is bad for leather , which likes a PH neutral product. Years ago, the way leather was tanned allowed for saddle soap, which was basically an oil in a soap, to soften the tanned leather hides. But it’s a poor cleaner,and can actually push dirt back into leather, and today’s products do a much better job of cleaning and conditioning leather, without the alkalinity of S.S. ( BTW- Ph scale runs 0 to 14, with acids making up 0-6… 7 being water ( neutral ) and alkalines above 7 making up the high end of the scale )

Here’s how to find out if your leather is clearcoated: Take a white rag, and spray a spritz of Simple Green, Castrol Super Clean, 409 or equivalent on it, and go to an inconspicuous place on one of the seats. The hidden part between the backrest and seat cushion is a good spot. Rub the rag and cleaner on a small spot there. If you see the color of the leather coming off on the rag, you DON’T have clearcoated. If you don’t see color/dye on the rag, the it IS coated. If you do have coated leather, you can safely use a PDMS silicone product such as the 303 or Vinylex , which also has cleaners in it, to keep it supple and add UV protection. If it’s uncoated, go with your favorite leather dressing-cleaner and conditioner combo. The latter is best applied with your hand, and allowed to sit a few minutes. After about 5 minutes, the leather will have absorbed all the conditioner it’s going to, so you then want to just wipe/buff the excess off with a white cotton rag/towel.
Old 03-19-08, 10:35 AM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

Well I recently went on a snowboarding trip and having no change of clothes so having a wetbottom and driving home for 1 and a half hours, the leather in my car was severely creased. So my situation was to go out and get a cleaner/conditioner and I found the Meguiar's one-step cleaner/conditioner. I sprayed it on and wiped/buffed it into the leather and after it was dry, I left the car until the next day and when I sat down on the leather and it was EXTREMELY squeaky.

It's day two now and looking at the creases that were made, I can barely notice them. This stuff has made wonders for the creases and the leather looks fresh and new again. However, the squeaking is still persisting but not as much as yesterday. I'll take pictures and a video for everyone to see what's like and update whenever I can.
Old 03-19-08, 10:42 AM
lex-matt
Rookie

I use Einszett Leather Care Lederpflege on my other cars and will use it on my IS. It's a very simple, yet effective application and leaves a satin, smooth surface just how it came from the factory - no shine or squeaking.

I've used it on the leather in a car with 140k miles and one with 10k. While it does work to get heavy dirt/grease out, it does take a lot of product and elbow grease. That said, there ma be a better product for heavy grime, but it still does work. On leather that is fairly new and well kept, you will love it!
Old 03-19-08, 11:17 AM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Wink LEXOL for your LEX

I use the Lexol cleaner and conditioner. Works great and leaves a new car smell, although I am sure many do this.

They are separate bottles but came together when I bought them. They sell at Pep Boys, although I got mine for the low from direct distributor in Georgia.
Old 03-19-08, 11:27 AM
A.C Milan
Lead Lap

i use meguair's too, and no "squeaking"
Old 03-19-08, 12:07 PM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

The 2gen ISX50 has Semi Aniline Leather and I have some info below for everyone.

Corrected-Grain leather is any Top-Grain leather that has had its surfaces sanded, buffed or snuffed in order to remove any imperfection on the surface due to insect bites, healed scars or brands. Top-Grain leather is often wrongly referred to as Corrected-Grain. Although Corrected-Grain leather is made from Top-Grain as soon as the surface is corrected in any way the leather is no longer referred to asTop-Grain leather. The hides used to create corrected leather are hides of inferior quality that do not meet the high standards for use in creating aniline or semi-aniline leather. The imperfections are corrected and an artificial grain applied. Most Correct leather is used to make Pigmented leather as the solid pigment helps hide the corrections or imperfections. Corrected grain leathers can mainly be bought as two finish types: semi-aniline and pigmented.

Preservation and conditioning of leather
The natural fibers of leather will break down with the passage of time. Acidic leathers are particularly vulnerable to red rot, which causes powdering of the surface and a change in consistency. Damage from red rot is aggravated by high temperatures and relative humidities, and is irreversible.

Exposure to long periods of low relative humidities (below 40%) can cause leather to become desiccated, irreversibly changing the fibrous structure of the leather.

Various treatments are available such as conditioners, but these are not recommended by conservators since they impregnate the structure of the leather artifact with active chemicals, are sticky, and attract stains.

SEMI-ANILINE LEATHER. Soft and supple.

The majority of our hides are made into semi-aniline leather. After being dyed-through, they are given a light pigmented coating that makes the leather more durable and easier to care for. Our careful dyeing and surface finishing methods ensure that the leather maintains a natural, comfortable touch while making it more resistant to wear and tear, whether it is destined for public or private use. It is easy to clean, and does not age as visibly as aniline leather
Old 03-19-08, 01:34 PM
kattanh3
Lexus Test Driver

I alwasy use zymol conditioner on all of my cars. I love the smell, feel and shine
===============
update: i did a stupid mistake and used the zymol cleaner on the seatbelts and (duh) they stain a bit - now they are dry and no problemo.

Last edited by kattanh3; 03-24-08 at 05:22 AM.
Old 03-19-08, 10:02 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

so after some research (heh), it's just caused by excessive amounts of conditioner and the leather's still absorbing it (though my leather looks great!). so i'm wondering...should i just use a cleaner and clean it off or should i just wait til the leather soaks it all in?
Old 03-20-08, 07:55 AM
The Detail Dude
Pole Position

Wait about 5 minutes, then wipe it down with a light non-abrasive cleaner!
Old 03-20-08, 05:09 PM
DevJ
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i also use the lexus cleaner/condition it works VERY well..every time i clean it, it looks brand new

i highly recommend you try that stuff out
Old 03-24-08, 10:24 AM
myculito
Lead Lap

The Lexol cleaner and conditioner get my vote. Has worked well on all the cars I've used it on.
I think evyerone will have a diff. opinion as to what product to use here. There's so many different cleaner/conditioner manufacturers out there that it's retarted. I don't think there's an "ultimate" cleaner/conditioner combo out there.

I think the key is making sure you choose a product that YOU like, and that's safe for the leather.